Supergirl: Being Super by Mariko Tamaki

Supergirl: Being Super

by Mariko Tamaki, Joëlle Jones (Illustrator)

502353,871 (4)None
"It's the Girl of Steel as you've never seen her before, when Caldecott Honor-winning writer Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer) teams with Eisner Award-nominated artist Jolle Jones (Lady Killer) for a coming-of-age tale in SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER. Kara Danvers isn't any different than any other teenager in her hometown. Problems with school. Problems with boys. Problems with friends. But while growing pains shake up Kara's world, a series of earth-shaking events hits her hometown, leaving her with with the choice of blending in with the crowd, or being different. Being an outcast. Being super. This reimagining of Supergirl will appeal to fans of all ages and readers new and old, as the Girl of Steel flies face-first into the struggles that every teenager faces."--|cProvided by publisher.… (more)

Yet another Supergirl reboot disappoints. Super angsty narration attempts to remind us that Kara is a just teenager while the generic comic book plot with a secret underground headquarters/research lab reminds us that we really don't really need this sort of disposable story. ( )
  villemezbrown | Aug 5, 2018 |
I'm not entirely sure why DC felt like they had to do yet another origin for Supergirl (yikes have there been quite a few), or for that matter if this story is in the main story or not (I'd guess not, but, who knows, I'm just rolling with it).

We meet Kara's two best friends, Jen and Dolly. All three are on the track team which is coached by a Coach Stone (I definitely thought that character would go a different way, ah well).

Kara seems to have powers, but, also sometimes doesn't? And her Mom and Dad are definitely unique characters, not to mention those texts from Kara's Mom to her. Oh man, classic.

Then there was Dolly. She's as far as I can tell a lesbian, and by the end of the book, while I enjoyed Kara's story, I really wanted to know more about Dolly too! (That's happened once before with Alysia Yeoh in the Batgirl series, I wanted all the stories to be about her, heh...)

It was interesting and different, and the ending was nice for both Kara and Dolly.

I received this book via Netgalley thanks to DC Entertainment. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 5, 2018 |

Tamaki, MarikoAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, JoëlleIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Where do I begin?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,091,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible