dismiss

The Golden Tresses of the Dead

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (10)

"Although it is autumn in the small English town of Bishop's Lacey, the chapel is decked with exotic flowers. Yes, Flavia de Luce's sister Ophelia is at last getting hitched, like a mule to a wagon. "A church is a wonderful place for a wedding," muses Flavia, "surrounded as it is by the legions of the dead, whose listening bones bear silent witness to every promise made at the altar." Flavia is not your normal twelve-year-old girl. An expert in the chemical nature of poisons, she has solved many mysteries, which has sharpened her considerable detection skills to the point where she had little choice but to turn professional. So Flavia and dependable Dogger, estate gardener and sounding board extraordinaire, set up shop at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, eager to serve--not so simple an endeavor with her odious, little moon-faced cousin, Undine, constantly underfoot. But Flavia and Dogger persevere. Little does she know that their first case will be extremely close to home, beginning with an unwelcome discovery in Ophelia's wedding cake: a human finger"--… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, rowenah, Lisa_Francine, wills2003, mjscott, bdcjpv, NicoletteMarie

In this 10th (last? maybe not last?) installment of the Flavia deLuce series, the book begins when Flavia's sister finds a human finger in her wedding cake. Subsequently, and as in other books in the series, there is a death/murder nearby, and Flavia sets out in an attempt to solve things on her own. Except that this time, she's not quite alone. She and Dogger have formed an investigative agency, and together, they work to solve the mystery of the finger and the death, wondering if they are somehow related.

I still really enjoy revisiting Flavia and her precocious personality. I also love the dynamic between Dogger and Flavia: formal, but yet there is a definite affection between the two. The evolving "professional" relationship between the two of them was my favorite part of this novel. The story itself was a little loose, in my opinion, and I wasn't sure everything was resolved. Still, as always, it was an enjoyable tale. This is reportedly (maybe?) the last installment of this series, though the end was rather open-ended, leaving the possibility of additional installments. I think I would be okay either way, although part of me does want to see further developments with Flavia and Dogger's relationship. ( )
  indygo88 | Jul 23, 2020 |
I just love Flavia and Dogger and I never want to stop reading about them.

I can read these books in about half a day, so they aren't overly complicated. The plots always move along very nicely. Sometimes the science explanations can drag a bit, but I'm also not very science-minded. ( )
  jpeterman | Jul 10, 2020 |
I seem to be in the minority, but this entry in the Flavia de Luce series is, in my opinion, a total dud. Ophelia gets married, and an incident at the wedding sets up Flavia and Dogger on their first official 'case' as detectives. People drop dead, mysterious poisons appear, and the only saving grace is that cousin Undine is set to become the same sort of impossibly brilliant and wayward child as Flavia was and is. Flavia herself is overshadowed by Dogger, and is portrayed as unusually thick.

By the end of the novel I was falling asleep. Others found it hilarious. I found it empty. ( )
  ffortsa | Jun 26, 2020 |
Flavia's life has been turned upside down with many of her solid companions moving on in life. This does not bring a feeling of ending to this series but a feeling of a fresh new start. She still has Dogger! Her kindred spirit. Dogger seems strong in mind and together the two of them create their own private investigation team. Doors are opening! ( )
  whybehave2002 | Jun 7, 2020 |
Flavia is a great character and Dogger has his moments. The mystery itself seemed a bit contrived and the solution also was a struggle. Overall the story was OK it was saved by Flavia and her observations. If you like the others in the series you will no doubt like this one. ( )
  Neale | Apr 18, 2020 |

Alan Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heikinheimo, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

- Sonnet 68, William Shakespeare
For Shirley with love: first, last, and always
I'd like to remark at the outset that I'm a girl with better than an average brain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,190,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible