A Ladder to the Sky: A Novel by John Boyne

A Ladder to the Sky: A Novel

by John Boyne

Recently added by66usma, private library, rena75, kathdob, aoife
    The Wife by Meg Wolitzer (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: The obvious connection is the plagiarism by the husband of his wife's work, which leads to world-wide renown.
    Less by Andrew Sean Greer (hairball)
    hairball: I read these a few weeks—maybe a month—apart. This is the really obvious pairing.

This novel should be titled The Plagiarist as this is what it is about. The primary character, Maurice Swift, spends his whole life building his literary career by stealing ideas and stories from other authors he has known over the years. To keep his reputation he is not above murder if needed. The book has an interesting premise and the author is a skillful writer but the book is pretty predictable once you see what is going on. That said, I enjoyed the novel and think it is worth reading. ( )
  muddyboy | Mar 14, 2019 |
Intriguing questions and a fascinating main character make A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne a memorable book. Maurice can put words together but has no imagination to create stories. He is ambitious. He covets success and stardom. What is he to do? His answer turns out to be anything and everything. I, the reader, watch horrified and turn page after page to see if there is a limit to what Maurice will do to further his own goals.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2019/02/a-ladder-to-sky.html

Reviewed for Penguin First to Read program. ( )
  njmom3 | Feb 18, 2019 |
Oh John Boyne, you genius. Another brilliant novel. Maurice is so reprehensible that I cannot force myself to give this 5 stars because I hated him so much, but maybe because I hated him so much and that emotion was triggered in me, it deserves 5 stars? I'll have a think. ( )
  tuf25995 | Feb 14, 2019 |
Another interesting story by John Boyne. A callus and ambitious writer will do anything to be a success. He’s not a bad writer but he has no good stories to write about, that is his problem. He’s so delusional, he has no qualms about stealing other writers ideas. Maurice Swift does get his due but not in the way you would think. ( )
  janismack | Feb 12, 2019 |
Maurice wants to be a writer, and although he puts words together well, he falls short on inspiration. So he gets to know people, uses them for ideas, feeds his ambition. He is a handsome man. How much can he get away with? For the reader, the moral questions arise. All ideas are inspired by something or someone, but when does it become theft? And what about telling someone else's story, especially if it is told to you in confidence? So you change a few names. Is it enough? What if it has negative repercussions for them? Where is the line?

The main character, Maurice Swift, is a narcissist. A psychopath. No two ways about it. I hate him. But I have to know, how far will he go? I loved how multiple narrators tell his story: we learn of Maurice and the publishing world through their viewpoints, their hopes, their desires. His pawns will be remembered long after their tales have ended and Maurice has moved on. This is definitely a tale of dark morals. Thought-provoking, well-told, very memorable and a surprising page-turner. ( )
  Berly | Feb 4, 2019 |

John Boyne's new novel, set in the literary world, features a psychopath so intriguing he'll keep you fascinated and appalled to the very end.

This is a hugely enjoyable novel about ambition, fraud, murder and the writing game from an author who, ever since global success of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in 2006, has been fizzing with ideas, is a dab hand at telling a story and creates vividly arresting characters, too.
added by bergs47 | editThe Independent, John Boland (Aug 5, 2018)

As Picasso is once supposed to have said: good artists copy; great artists steal. It’s a motto by which Maurice Swift, the sociopathic and mesmeric antihero of John Boyne’s latest novel might well live his life.

For Stephen Walsh
From the moment I accepted the invitation, I was nervous about returning to Germany.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,451,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible