Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark: An…

Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark: An Endless Quest Book (2018)

by Matt Forbeck

6910266,134 (3)2
A group of prisoners try to escape the Underdark before they are taken to the drow city of Menzoberranzan and sold off as slaves, in a book where the reader's choices determine the ending of the story.
    Dungeon of Dread by Rose Estes (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: 'Escape the Underdark' is the first book of a revival for the series that originally began with 'Dungeon of Dread'

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this for LibraryThing Early Reviewers, it was an advance copy and still needed to be checked for grammar errors. It's basically a Choose Your Own Adventure book but D&D. It wasn't too bad although some of the choices do make for a quick ending. ( )
  melsmarsh | Aug 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fun CYOA! I liked that the simple plot had a wide variety of Underdark monsters to encounter - from duegar dwarves to demon princes. There are drow and dragons and water-dwelling critters, and not everything here is out to eat you. (But most things are; it is the Underdark, after all!) The choices rewarded generosity and heroism, and the most "heroic" paths all ended up in success despite the dangers. Ages 12+, teen-friendly. ( )
  jerenda | May 18, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As others have said, I too expected more D&D from this book. It doesn't quite stack up to the Choose Your Own Adventure books I read as a kid, feeling simpler and shorter. I feel like the overly huge font somehow detracted from the book too, making the short paths feel even shorter. It is basically a CYOA book with D&D references; somehow I expected more. As someone else mentioned, there is no fight system. I guess I expected something like it would have you roll dice somehow, even a little. So a little disappointing overall.

This review was written as part of the Early Reviewers program. ( )
  polaritynk | Sep 12, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Reminiscent of the Choose Ygeour Own Adventure (CYOA) books from my childhood, I was looking forward to a book with a distinctly D&D feel. I've also seen a number of improvements on the CYOA books, including some actual character development or danger (hit points, leveling up, etc.) and was hoping that would be included here. Instead it is a fairly straightforward (and not that engaging) story of escaping a prison in the Underdark.

This is probably suited more towards a YA audience than me. But if it encourages any kids to get involved with D&D, it will be worth it. Regular D&D players are better suited for finding a session to join or looking for some of the recent solo adventures created. ( )
  smcgurr | Jul 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Like other reviewers mentioned… I, too, remember the choose-your-own-adventure books from the 1980s. They were good… I liked them and my son liked them.

I found this new one is enjoyable, too. And because there have been so many years since I've read the older ones, I decided to base my rating of this book somewhat on that of my grandson. It's a fun and engaging read, and we have high hopes for the entire new series! ( )
  RaucousRain | Jul 25, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Matt Forbeck's book The Infamous Ratsos Camp Out is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Matt Forbeck's book Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,477,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible