John Byrne's Stowaway to the Stars #1:…

John Byrne's Stowaway to the Stars #1: Special Edition

by John Byrne

223,643,012 (4)1
Recently added byepiloguereviews, tapestry100

Where do I even begin with this comic?? I have been an avid fan of Lady Mechanika and her exploits since I received her first comic at Free Comic Book Day. When I saw that there was an ARC for one of the comics I jumped at the chance. Once I picked up this comic there was no setting it down. From beginning to end the story captivated me and I had to know who was responsible for the ghastly murders that were happening. Aside from the amazing story line, the artwork was just as captivating. I have yet to be disappointed by how beautifully drawn these comics are, and the crazy detail that is included. Each crease of clothing, each button, everything is painstakingly drawn in an uber realistic way that draws you in and keeps you wanting more.
I can say that there was absolutely nothing wrong with this comic, except that I wish it was longer.
Lady Mechanika is a study of poise, power, and overwhelming intelligence. Enhanced with machinery she is unlike any other. ( )
  epiloguereviews | Sep 17, 2018 |
A short story about a young girl who dreams of traveling to the stars, and one night makes the decision that she needs to fulfill this dream and stows away on a cargo ship. Of course, she's discovered and then has to work on the ship to earn her way. And of course, the ship is attacked and she is thrown into a life and death escape. And of course, she survives and makes it home, where she settles back into her routine but continues to dream of adventuring to the stars.

To be frank, the whole thing is fairly predictable and there's not much meat to the story, and I don't think I'd have paid this any attention had it not been for its creator, John Byrne. Byrne was one of my favorite artists back in the day when I was collecting earlier X-Men comics. His style is distinctly his own, and always held a sort of dynamism for me. It's been a while since he produced anything new, so I was excited to pick this up, and he doesn't disappoint with his art. The story is 48 pages long, with the left hand page carrying the prose, and the opposite page carrying the art. I breezed thru the story (again, it's fairly simple), but I immediately went back and poured over each page of art. Byrne fills each page with remarkable detail, and Leonard O'Grady's colors really pop (even if there are several inconsistencies with the coloring of characters throughout the book).

I'm not sure that this will appeal to a large crowd, and I don't think it's intended to. I fell that Byrne produced this more for himself than anyone else, and I'm glad that he decided to share it. It may not be the most remarkable book you'll read, but it's full of heart and soul, and that's what counts. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jun 14, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,190,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible