Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler

Full Dark House (2003)

by Christopher Fowler

Series: Bryant and May (1)

Recently added byprivate library, seapetal, nickdreamsong1, hoegbottom, thebookmagpie, renkko, syllabub, SherrieB
    Real Tigers by Mick Herron (hairball)
    hairball: The tone of Real Tigers put me in mind of the Bryant & May series. While the subjects are very different, the characters are, if not of a piece, then cut from the same cake.
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Similar in tone. Both are darkly comic detection novels with supernatural overtones and set in London. The entire Peculiar Crimes series qualifies as a recommendation.

English (51)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)
A fun mystery... actually two mysteries at the same time in a way, with flashbacks. The interplay between the the two main characters should be a lot of fun in the following books from the series... nice Felix and Oscar vibe :) ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 19, 2016 |
I had never heard of this series until fairly recently. I read about it on Book Riot and made note of it. Then, when browsing my library for something else, I stumbled across this and figured it was a sign that it should be my next read. And so it was.

Without giving too much away, this is two stories in one with the central characters being a couple of detectives who have been partners for many decades in a 'peculiar crimes' unit in London. The story jumps back and forth in time between their first and final cases as partners.

Their first case, set in war-time London during the blitz when the men are in their 20s involves several grisly murders set in a theater ostensibly perpetrated by a phantom. The final case takes place six decades later, as the men are in their twilight years and involves a bombing that has a connection to their first case.

The writing goes cross-genre in a good way and it was fun to see a little Christie a little Wodehouse, a little literary this-and-that while still being distinct from anything else I've read before. I'm undecided on investing in the entire series, but I do think I'd like to sample another story in the series and see how the partnership ripens. ( )
  angiestahl | Jan 11, 2016 |
Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler is the first book in the Bryant and May mystery series, and I think it will also be my last in this series as well. I did enjoy the parts that described life in wartime London well enough but the mystery itself didn’t grab me nor did I like the jumping back and forth in time as it did.

Bryant and May are aged detectives that work in the Peculiar Crimes division, the book gives us the details of their first case which was the familiar story of a creepy phantom-like creature who is killing off actors in order to close down the theatre. Sound familiar? Criss-crossing back and forth from 1940 London to modern times, I simply felt confused and eventually lost interest in the story.

I found myself more irritated than intrigued by Full Dark House and although it’s certainly well written, it just isn’t a series for me. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Dec 25, 2015 |
A good mystery duo that is ripe for serialization - and coming to it so late, it's a series well in progress. I enjoyed the lunatic foibles of the detectives and the concept of a special police unit to solve Peculiar Crimes and love that it is actually named the Peculiar Crimes Unit. I liked it well enough to commit to the reading the series. ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | Nov 22, 2015 |
Terrific book. The story is excellent, with plenty of twists and surprises to keep you guessing. The characters are all well developed and feel very real, especially Brant and May.

grandpahobo | Mar 22, 2015 |

Christopher Fowlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chlewińska, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duha, OndřejTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merino, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bill - scientist, firewatcher, father (1923-2003)
It really was a hell of a blast.

A bomb rips through present-day London, tragically ending the crime-fighting partnership of Arthur Bryant and John May begun more than a half-century ago during another infamous bombing: the Blitz of World War II. Desperately searching for clues to the saboteur’s identity, May finds the notes his old friend kept of their very first case and a past that may have returned…with murderous vengeance. It was an investigation that began with the grisly murder of a pretty young dancer. In a city shaken by war, a faceless killer stalked London’s theater row, creating his own sinister drama. And it would take Bryant’s unorthodox techniques and May’s dogged police work to catch a fiend whose ability to escape detection seemed almost supernatural—a murderer who decades later may have returned to kill one of them…and won’t stop until he kills the other.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

When a bomb claims the life of John May's detective partner of more than half a century, May becomes convinced that the key to the killer's identity lies in his first case together with his partner.

61 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible