Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward

Lover Revealed

by J.R. Ward

Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood (4)

English (79)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (82)
For some reason, I am reluctant as I pick up each successive book in this series, thinking I'm not going to like it as much as the previous one. With this one I felt that even more strongly as I did not at all feel the Butch/Marissa pairing. And yet once again I found myself unable to put the book down. With Butch being the main character in this book, I would have liked to see just a little bit more of a connection with Beth since she's the reason that he's even part of all of this if I'm remembering correctly (and I do need to remember since that wasn't referenced even once in this book from what I can tell), but I did love how the women, though not nearly as prevalent as the Brothers, played such key roles. Other favorite parts: Butch's partner knowing immediately that Van was an imposter (hoping the partner gets let in on the secret in future books!), Rehvenge (to my extreme surprise), and, last but most certainly not least, Marissa coming into her own (take *that* glymera). ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Sep 20, 2014 |
Not bad, though at times it was really slow. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I love this Series. I know I am far behind but I can still. I love it and can’t wait to keep reading. ( )
  Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |
  Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |
My favorite part of a paranormal fiction/urban fantasy/whatever you want to call it series is when it starts to find a unique idea, a plot arch all its own, and begins to expand it. This is that book in this series! Focusing on Butch, the human sidekick (need a better word) of the Black Dagger brotherhood, this book begins to explore different aspects of the war against the omega and his army of lessers. Given Butch's closeness to Beth prior to her discovery of the vampire world, Butch has been heavily featured in previous books. This gives this book a richer feel for me, and I enjoyed every minute of it. We are starting to see a possible non-heterosexist storyline in this series, and I'm very excited about that, too.

Things I liked
-The stuff I mentioned above.
-Marissa is my favorite female in this series so far. It's amazing that the character raised to be the most blase, follow the crowd debutante actually has the greatest depth. A society needs more than just warriors, and Marissa gives us that in spades. I even loved the cutesy clothing vignettes, from vintage couture to first adventures in pants.

Things I didn't care for
-The men still appear to be rigidly bound to an Alpha Male mold, which is beginning to bore me. The continuous raptures about their liquor of choice are particularly lame.
-How have the Black Brotherhood not destroyed the Lessers by now? Every moment spent from the perspective of a Lesser makes them appear to be the biggest chuckleheads in existence. How can a group of badass warriors not have wiped the 3 Stooges from the planet? This book explores why the lessers can keep coming back, but doesn't answer the underlying competence concern. I guess they're like zombies, with strength only in numbers. Slapstick zombies. Irritating slapstick zombies. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |

J.R. Wardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: You / Man, you had me at Hard-ass, you really did. / But then there was your Here's looking at you, kid... / Mad love to you.
With immense gratitude to the readers / of the Black Dagger Brotherhood / and a shout out to the Cellies-- / what couch are we on now?
Thank you so very much: / Karen Solem, Kara Cesare, Claire Zion, Kara Welsh.
Thank you, Cap'n Bunny a.k.a the Pink Beast and / PythAngie the Pitbull Mod-- / seriously, Dorine and Angie, you take such good / care of me.
Thank you to the Party of Four: MFN hugs... / M-F-N hugs. / Don't know what I would do without you.
"What if I told you I had a fantasy?"
There shall be one to bring the end before the master, / a fighter of modern time found in the seventh of the / twenty-first, / and he shall be known by the numbers he bears: / One more than the compass he apperceives, / Though mere four points to make at his right, / Three lives has he. / Two scores on his fore. / and with a single black eye, in one well will he be / birthed and die. (p. 157-157)
"I traced your blood back to Ireland. Lot of pasty-white bog people in your veins, cop." (Vishous, p.279)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451412354, Mass Market Paperback)

Butch O'Neal is a fighter by nature. A hard living, ex-homicide cop, he's the only human ever to be allowed in the inner circle of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. And he wants to go even deeper into the vampire world to engage in the turf war with the lessers. He's got nothing to lose. His heart belongs to a female vampire, Marissa, an aristocratic beauty who's way out of his league. If he can't have her, then at least he can fight side by side with the Brothers... When Butch sacrifices himself to save a civilian vampire from the slayers, he falls prey to the darkest force in the war. Left for dead but found by a miracle, the Brotherhood calls on Marissa to bring him back, though even her love may not be enough to save him...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

The only human allowed in the inner circle of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, ex-homicide cop Butch O'Neal, after saving a civilian vampire from the dreaded slayers, is left for dead and only the aristocratic vampire beauty he desires can bring him back.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,400,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible