Gods, graves and scholars. The story of…

Gods, graves and scholars. The story of archaeology (original 1949; edition 1972)

by C. W. Ceram, Sophie Wilkins (Translator), E. B. Garside (Translator)

Member:Tylman79
Title:Gods, graves and scholars. The story of archaeology
Authors:C. W. Ceram
Other authors:Sophie Wilkins (Translator), E. B. Garside (Translator)
Info:Bantam Books (1972), paperback, 515 pages, 2nd edition
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:history, archaeology, Bantam

Gods, Graves & Scholars: The Story of Archaeology by C. W. Ceram (1949)

English (9)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  All languages (15)
Edition: // Descr: xi, 426 p. : ill.,plates, maps 22 cm. // Series: Call No. { 913 C33 } Translated from the German by E.B. Garside Contains Chronological Tables, Bibliography, and Index. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |
Classic history of archaeology that I remember reading as a teenager. It was written in the late 1940s with a second edition in 1967.

The subtitle is a clue. This is very much a collection of uncritical stories of heroic figures, grouped into fields of exploration: Part 1 covers Pompeii and the Aegean littoral, Part 2 Egypt, Part 3 Mesopotamia, and Part 4 Central America, with Part 5 as a short epilogue on material that could have been included but didn't fit the author's schema. It's all very enjoyable and a good overview for any budding Indiana Jones or River Song out there before they reach an age where something more detailed or reflective becomes appropriate. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Oct 13, 2012 |
I've read several reviews from members on this book. I wonder how many know his real name was Kurt Wilhelm Marek and the reason he wrote under the pseudonym of C.W. Ceram was to distance himself from his work as a propagandist for the Third Reich? This was his most popular and is published in 28 languages. The other interesting fact is there in no information regarding his education in Archaeolgy at all. For that matter, in his biographies there is not notation of education at all. Interesting situation, is it not?
  Deanna_Hebert | May 31, 2011 |
Great introduction to archaeology. There are accounts of the archaeologist themselves, good black and white drawings and photographs. Interesting that this appears in Truman's legacy library. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Dec 23, 2010 |
I really wanted to to like this book because I was intrigued by the way it is set up, based on the description, as a survey of many of the biggest archaeological finds up until it was published as well as the personalities involved. Although I enjoyed learning about some of the people behind the discoveries such as Champollion and Carnarvon, I found, unfortunately, that I struggled to keep an interest in the book for longer than a few pages at a time and I gave up on it about 2/3 of the way through. The book reads to me as a product of its time, written for a certain audience and with a certain subjectivity. ( )
  bigmissy6 | Mar 6, 2010 |

Ceram, C. W.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garside, E.B.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

C.W. Ceram visualized archeology as a wonderful combination of high adventure, romance, history and scholarship, and this book, a chronicle of man's search for his past, reads like a dramatic narrative. We travel with Heinrich Schliemann as, defying the ridicule of the learned world, he actually unearths the remains of the ancient city of Troy. We share the excitement of Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter as they first glimpse the riches of Tutankhamen's tomb, of George Smith when he found the ancient clay tablets that contained the records of the Biblical Flood. We rediscover the ruined splendors of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the wonders of the ancient wold; of Chichen Itza, the abandoned pyramids of the Maya: and the legendary Labyrinth of tile Minotaur in Crete. Here is much of the history of civilization and the stories of the men who rediscovered it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0394743199, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:50 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible