Very Rich by Polly Horvath

Very Rich (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Polly Horvath (Author)

Ten-year-old Rupert, from a very large, very poor family, accidently becomes part of an eccentric rich family's life beginning at Christmas, and soon sees that wealth is not everything.
Member:Bumbl3B
Title:Very Rich
Authors:Polly Horvath (Author)
Info:Margaret Ferguson Books (2018), 304 pages

Very Rich by Polly Horvath (2018)

Very Rich follows young Rupert who comes from a very poor family of ten siblings. In his home it is very rare to have enough food on the table and space to sleep is a luxury. When he gets invited a a friend's house for Christmas he finds a room packed with as much food as he could want and presents that he could win to bring home to his family, if he wins the game. Sadly, he loses it all and comes home with nothing. So, secretly the family members come up with ways to make up for his loss which only helps him come to an understanding about himself and his own family. This book is a story of loss and hopelessness mixed with funny and endearing moments. ( )
  TaylorV | Mar 16, 2019 |
This book consist of two worlds of 10 year old boys. One boy lives in an overcrowded home where they don't celebrate holidays and food is not always available. When Rupert, thin and hungry falls into the life with the Rivers. Adventure ensues in this quirky novel. Ages 9-12. ( )
  SWONclear | Jan 17, 2019 |
I don’t think the ending tied up the storylines very well. Extremely unsatisfying. ( )
  doctorsidrat | Dec 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this story. I was not expecting such a fantastical plot but it worked. It kept me wondering what was going to happen next. I did feel bad though that Rupert kept having his meals taken away. I didn't really like the ending either when everyone seemed to disappear. I would love to read another book that continues the story. ( )
  boredness | Nov 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested and won this book from Early Reviewers, in exchange for my review.

I absolutely loved this little book. The beautifully illustrated cover took me back to my childhood days bringing back memories of going for walks with the big fluffy snowflakes falling.
I found this book to be an enchanting spirited, fun loving tale, a very easy read.
This frail little boy "Rupert" tugged at my heart strings. He is such a good natured soul despite the fact that he is always cold and hungry. He is intrigued by his surroundings on his adventures and appreciates the world around him. He has a very thoughtful, caring nature, despite what he has to endure in his young life.
He thoroughly enjoyed Christmas dinner at the home of one of his school mates. So grateful for a feast that the others seemed to take for granted.
He got to play games and was very excited to win lots of prizes. He was so excited, being the caring child as he was, to be able to give his family gifts this Christmas.
However this was not to be, Rupert lost everything.
In an attempt to make it up to him the Rivers family take him on several adventures. I got swept away with the time travelling in a cardboard box.
My favorite part was when Rupert's father brought home hamburgers for the family. Rupert finally got to savour a well deserved, delicious hamburger.
I so enjoy Polly Horvath's writings. ( )
  DoloresD | Nov 6, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Polly Horvath's book Very Rich is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,690,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible