Mary Who Wrote Frankenstein by Linda Bailey

Mary Who Wrote Frankenstein (2018)

by Linda Bailey, Julia Sarda (Illustrator)

Beautiful, morose illustrations for the dark-hearted child in us all. While I question what parent would buy this for their child, or what child would pick up a book about the author of Frankenstein, I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed reading this simplified biography of Mary Shelley's life. Written like a picture book with illustrations of grave stones and dissected frogs, this book impresses the reader with the truly amazing story of a strong-headed 18-year-old girl who defied her culture and wrote something truly horrid and wonderful at the same time. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mary Who Wrote Frankenstein is a beautifully illustrated picture-book biography of Mary Shelley. I'm not quite sure of the intended age range this is aimed at. The language is mature but format seems geared towards younger readers. Mary's story is not dumbed-down for young readers.

As mentioned before, Julia Sarda's art work really makes this book. Her illustrations are gorgeous. I'll be keeping an eye out for more of her work. ( )
  llamagirl | Oct 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this book was amazing. The illustrations are great and I actually kind of love that it's on the darker side. It's not gore-intensive or anything, but if you're particularly cautious or your kid is very sensitive to anything in the vein of 'horror', I would probably leave it. My niece and nephew (6&8) are in a phase of loving all things zombie and 'scary', so this was right up their alley, even though I don't find it particularly graphic in that way. This is a great book because it's not a princess story or about puppies or something, but it is one that has to have the right audience. I enjoyed it as an adult familiar with Shelley and I think it is a good introduction to kids if they're into this kind of stuff. ( )
  blueviolent | Oct 1, 2018 |
I love the illustrations in this book, both the imaginative and creative drawings, and the creative writing. Kids and adults are going to love these drawings, as creative as the original story itself. This is a childrens book, so creative. As it says, How does a Story Begin? Sometimes it begins with a dream. I am in awe of the creativity and the story in this book.

Mary is an unusual girl. She never really knew her mother, she died when Mary was only eleven days old. She comes to know some poets, writers, and artists, friends of her father and who will become famous through the years. Thus she becomes well-known in her own field. She is unique, well-read, and creative, and she runs away with a young poet who is very much like her, seeing what others don't see, too busy in their own lives to see the creativity in the lives of these two unique personalities. Meeting another creative story-teller, Mary has a lot to think about as a teen-ager. She sees mystery everywhere, finds creativity fulfilling her life. Her friends want to become famous story-tellers...poets, artists, novelists. Mary, with her wonderful imagination, way with words, and desire to create, to tell stories, writes. Mary is the person who wrote about Frankenstein and created a book that is still known today. Mary grew up to be a classic and exciting author. Sometimes a Story begins with a Dream. If people dreamed of what they wanted to do, of what they are capable of, just look at what they can do! ( )
  readerbynight | Sep 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's a littttle dark for kids, but I still handed it over to them. I liked how it pulled together influences to explain inspiration a bit, and it did a good job with the story of writing the story. The art is gorgeous. ( )
  ansate | Sep 13, 2018 |

Linda Baileyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sarda, JuliaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
How does a story begin?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Linda Bailey's book Mary Who Wrote Frankenstein is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,213,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible