Congratulations, Who Are You Again?: A…

Congratulations, Who Are You Again?: A Memoir

by Harrison Scott Key

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an Advance Reader's Copy of this book.

This book was hilarious. And bittersweet. And inspiring. Harrison Scott Key's memoir focuses on his dream of writing a book, what it took to realize the dream, and what he learned along the way. There are many, many laugh-out-loud passages (I truly laughed out loud!), which all dreamers will relate to. It is also a window into the publishing world and what not-so-famous writers endure to sell their life's work. I cannot wait to share this book with my friends who dream of becoming the next Great American Writer. ( )
  ravensfan | Nov 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Have you ever dreamed about writing a book? Have you ever read a book and thought "I could write a better book than that!"? I have been such a dreamer; even tried a few beginnings of stories, novels, essays, what have you. But I never kept going, never really got the bug, the urgency to write. But Harrison Scott Key did. In a big way. He had to change his life, spend precious time away from his family, face some demons and write, write, write. This book, chronicles that eleven year journey from dreamy idea to publication and some notable recognition, namely, The Thurber Prize for American Humor. Luckily, he fills the book with the humor for which he was awarded along with more honest and sober observations about family life. Towards the end of the book, he visits his daughter's classroom on Career Day: "I told them what I came to tell them, which is that I am no hero. I have not discovered vaccines. I am not airlifting refugees from tyrannical governments here. All I am is a writer whose American dream came true, and to me, that is remarkable. It is more than remarkable. It is a wonder, a most happy miracle." Reading the book gets the reader to this happy miracle place, too. ( )
  LoisCK | Oct 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I cannot overstate the importance of the humor in our lives, reading and otherwise. Sometimes one just desperately needs to pick up a funny book. Fortunstely, Harrison Scott Key agrees with me and has written a very humorous one, a glimpse into the life of a writer who finds himself on the cusp of being a recognized author. Not afraid to poke fun at himself, his dreams, his aspirations, his quest to have it all.

As a child he loved to be the joker, loved to make people laugh, a role that often got him in trouble I school and will his parents, or others in authority.

"On Saturday nights I listened to A Prairie Home Companion in my bedroom and tried to imitate Tom Keith's sound effects, while my mother stood at the locked door and prayed for me."

Thought I was reading shout my husband who often finds himself and his jokes more amusing than do I. In fact I'm giving him this book to him next to read.

But as we know life is not all humor, and in an honest manner the book also explores some lessons learned, little detours, a mine field. Ones pursuit of Fame and glory, no matter how amusing one is, always has a price, and sometimes it is more than one wants to pay.

ARC from Harper and Library thing. ( )
  Beamis12 | Oct 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a very entertaining read by an author writing about his experience of becoming a published author. It had just the right balance of describing the struggles of being published and self deprecating humor. There were even some laugh out loud moments during the course of the book. The description of the journey was impressive and it was a very enjoyable read. Although I had not read his first book, this book made me want to read more by this author!

Reader received a complimentary copy from LibraryThing early reviewers. ( )
  dgmlrhodes | Aug 31, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has it all from struggle to joy to laughs to even a few dictionary words. The story is very relatable and heartfelt. When things got too real or too prove a point, there would be some sarcasm or self-deprecation to lighten the mood...I know this device well.

Since this is a review book, they say to check the final edition before quoting...well, I'm too forgetful and frankly lazy to do that. So, I'm going to paraphrase this sentence that is around the middle of pg 264 and when you read it, you can figure it out. "A work of cheese is a tasty sandwich and not everybody likes dairy." ( )
  Bricker | Aug 28, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Harrison Scott Key's book Congratulations, Who Are You Again? is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,149,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible