The Christmas Sisters by Sarah Morgan

The Christmas Sisters (edition 2018)

by Sarah Morgan (Author)

Member:cyncie
Title:The Christmas Sisters
Authors:Sarah Morgan (Author)
Info:HQN (2018), Edition: Original, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2018

The Christmas Sisters by Sarah Morgan

This story is about the complicated relationship between three sisters and the adopted parents that adore them.

Christmastime is hard for the McBride family. Suzanne overcompensates ever year, trying to make Christmas perfect for her daughters.

But 25 years ago, it was at Christmas time when Beth, Hannah and Posy lost their parents and Suzanne adopted them.

Everyone loves Suzanne and her husband Stewart but the love shows itself in complicated ways.

Hannah is a perfectionist who puts work first and has no interest in relationships. She’s afraid to let anyone get close to her because of her parents.
So, Hannah tries to keep even Suzanne and Stewart at a distance.

Beth is a mom of two. She is overprotective according to everyone other than her. She’s so afraid her girls will get hurt.
When her husband suggests a third baby, just as Beth is contemplating returning to work, I through her life into a tailspin. And suddenly she is questioning just how Suzanne and Stewart took on three children of their own.

Posy is the youngest. She doesn’t have the same fears her sisters have because she doesn’t much remember life before Suzanne and Stewart took them in.
But because of her attachments to her adoptive parents, she feels obligated to make them happy. She feels selfish to consider putting her own dreams before theirs.

Meanwhile there is Suzanne who still has survivor’s guilt about the girls’ birth parents death. She was there that day, she survived and her best friend didn’t. And now she’s spent her life with her best friend’s daughters.

All of the characters are good people. Stewart is a fantastic husband and supportive father. They are all very different and they clash as people. But know they would like to be closer because they are family.

I enjoyed the story, the family dynamics, the characters and the beautiful Christmas time setting.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
I know what you might be thinking, dear reader. It's far too early to be reading a Christmas book. And I would be inclined to agree with you-it's not even Halloween yet! However, the temptation to read another Sarah Morgan romance novel outweighed the holiday timing principles. Make no mistake: I will be reading this again during the holiday season. It was that charming and magical.

This is a story mostly about three sisters: Posy, Hannah, and Beth. These three sisters each have very tricky relationships with each other, with their adopted parents, and with their respective significant others. Each one is also trying to overcome their own significant hurdle in their lives but all things come back to the one fateful night that their parents died in an avalanche years ago just a days before Christmas. That night has not only impacted their lives, but also the lives of those who would come to know and love them afterwards. How can they move forward 25 years later when that night comes back to haunt them every Christmas?

Sarah Morgan is easily my favorite author. Every book she writes has characters that are authentic, complex, and hard-working. In this book, each sister handled the traumatic experience of their parents' death differently. Yet each sister needed to rely on the other in order to overcome it many years later. Each sister had their own mountain to climb but learning to work together rather than only relying on their own self made it easier to face.

I seem to have a problem choosing my favorite character in each book Sarah Morgan writes. In this book, I choose Stewart. Stewart and Suzanne took in the three orphaned sisters and raised them as their own. Stewart is the calm yet adventurous, quiet yet funny, father figure that we honestly could all use. I found him to be incredibly endearing and entertaining.

I would recommend this book for all adult readers, regardless of the time of year, as it pulls you into the Scottish Highlands and takes you to new heights. I would also note that there is a big surprise about 70% into the book that changes everything.

On the other hand, I would not recommend this book for readers who do not enjoy or may be triggered by parental death, grief, mild foul language, or sexually suggestive scenarios.

Please note: an Advanced Reader Copy of this book was generously provided for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ( )
  JanJanFreeman | Oct 15, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,494,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible