Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Darkfever

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (168)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (171)
Liked it enough to continue with the series, specially because people kept telling me that this one was the weakest of them all and to stick with it and that's what'll do. I really liked the main characters, but I think there were some long, very long descriptions that could use a little trimming. Oh, and the UST between Mac and Jericho is TO DIE FOR. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
I was told about this book a few years ago when I finished Twilight(I know, I know, NOT the same, but got the recommendation none the less). I had forgotten about it until recently and decided to give it a try. I read some reviews but had no idea the following it had. Now that I have read it i have one question to ask myself: WHO OH WHY DID I NOT PICK THIS UP SOONER?!?!? This first book was fantastic!! I loved every minute of it. I finally read the other 4 and with out giving anything away, this was by far the best paranormal series I have read. I am relatively new to the UF/PNR genre, but I am pretty certain this will always be at the top of my list. Thank you Karen for introducing me to a beautiful, exciting and steamy world.

Please please please, if you see this book around and haven't read it or someone suggests it to you, DO NOT IGNORE THEM!! You will not be wasting your time. ( )
  piper0820 | Jun 8, 2014 |
This is a terrific beginning to a very addictive series! I had tried to read Moning's earlier work with absolutely no success. After slurping up the delectable goodness of this (currently) four book series over the weekend, I am desolate that I will now be waiting almost a year for the next one. Fantastic series! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
For a reading challenge on Goodreads, I was to read Darkfever. Now for a few years I have hesitated in reading this series, despite all the high reviews, because I had read her highlander series and I knew that this Fae series is quite opposite from it, and I was right. I obtained Darkfever through Audible, and this is the first time I had such a difficult time staying with a story, now I know that it isn't just the format. I was expected a romance based novel, and Darkfever isn't really like that in any form. After reading her highlander series, I was expecting a similar tone, but Darkfever totally blew me away in the difference it is from anything else I have read from her. I didn't get fully into it until the last third of the story. I kept with it for one, that it was for a reading challenge and I try as much as possible to stick with a story, and that there is a reason this series is so popular. I would categorize this as just paranormal fiction, there isn't much romance until the very end. After reading Darkfever, I understand where the author is going with it, and I understand better now why she has written it in the way she has, but it was so different from what I even imagined. I don't know if I am the only one that struggled in any form with this one, but I did and even though I enjoyed it quite a bit by the very end, it took a little over five hours of listening before I starting feeling engaged with the story. I am rating this higher than I normally would because the writing is stellar just its form is far different than I expected and I think that's why I struggled so much with it.

Darkfever is a story that introduces a world of dark and dangerous creatures that surround millions of people they just can't see the danger to them. I definitely wouldn't want this world to ever be real. I did love the suspense aspect to the story. There is quite a bit of a high intensity level for the story and I did like that. However I was expecting a high romance level, and it is very low. I am hoping that in the next books in the series, the romance level will be raised more. Despite by negative opinion on this story, there were some aspects I really liked. I loved seeing two totally opposite men involved in Mac's life. The characters are very realistic and vividly written, so you can't help but be drawn toward them. It did take a while to adjust to the narrator, but after a little while, I started to enjoy her inflections in the narrative.

Overall a tale that brings the reader into a world packed full of intense danger and fantasy, a story to get the blood thumping and one that will leave you aching in anticipation for the next installment. ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 19, 2014 |
A year ago I read this book. I thought it was alright. Honestly, I kind of hated some of the characters. Well, like all of them. I thought Barrons was a weird control freak that was probably dangerous, like wife-beater or the rage full jealous type dangerous and that Mac was a vapid idiot. I finally, after a year of trying to convince myself that all of the glowing reviews for this series were written my idiots who must not know a good story, I bit the bullet and read the second book. I love it! The reviewers are right! I love the series! I have been tearing through them this week, like I'll be finished by the weekend. The characters change. Well, at least Mac does, tremendously. Barrons is... well, I don't really know yet what Barrons is, but I hate him slightly less now that I am at the end of book 3 than I did at the end of book 1.

I do think it is important that your expectations are in check before you begin this book. You see, one of the covers for book 1 has naked people on it. This is very misleading. Usually, naked people = romance of some sort. That is not the case here. There may be romance later, but do not expect it in book 1. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,276,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible