Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (177)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (180)
So...a long time ago, right before Shadowfever was about to release there was mass buzz all over Twitter telling everyone to read this series. Numerous people, to include many prominent book paranormal romance book bloggers told me to read this series. Many people who have been familiar with my reading tastes for a couple of years told me to read this series. Well, I just started it this month and I smacked myself in forhead for not reading it sooner.

I was shocked by the way the book started out but awed at the same time. I thought, alright, guess we are jumping right in here. I love the way Ms. Moning makes sure us readers understand what is happening and makes sure to outline her intense world in dosable amounts. I also love Mac and her drive to survive at all costs. I know a lot of people would do what it takes to live and survive but she does it in a kick ass way, even when she falls on her ass, she gets back up and keeps on going.

Needless to say, I heart me some Barrons. I don't at all trust him but I heart him. I am sure I am just like everyone else when reading this book wondering what the heck, and basically who the heck, he is. I am happily waiting to find out more about this man and how he captures readers hearts across the globe, and would definitely scoff at the fact that he has. Also, I can't be the only one who has a think of the Seelie Prince right? I like him and all his sex appeal...sorry, can't help it.

I don't think there was anything I didn't like about this book. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Latecomer to the party as far as this series I kept hearing about is concerned. Barely blinked and was more than halfway through so obviously was enjoying the read. Did not care for the V-Lance scenes and hopefully all the mysterious-no-answer stuff with Barron's is a lead-in for next volumes; that could get old very quickly. Looking forward to next volume. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
I don't get it! There were so many good reactions to this series that I wanted to try it. I read (or choked down) the first book which by the way is listed as romance but there wasn't any unless I missed it! I just didn't care about "pretty" clueless Mac or get what was so special about secretive Jericho but I kept reading. I even bought the second book hoping that it would pick up, but it hasn't so far! There is just enough to keep me reading periodically but it hasn't sucked me in yet. I'm disappointed for now but I'm determined to keep reading because I'm told it gets better. I hope it's worth the wait.
  GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |
The story element were all very well done - good world-building - good potential for further development - good character development - good interaction - good dramatic presentation - good pacing - good mystery and reveal. However I found the primary character far too flighty to enjoy. The following quote explains everything - "The Mac who'd followed a woman's outflung arm into an urban wasteland that day had been wearing a killer outfit of pink linen, low-hipped, wide-legged capris, a silk-trimmed pink T, her favorite silver sandals, and matching silver accessories."

will most likely read more from author due to the excellence of the story structure ( )
  jason9292 | May 24, 2015 |
"Okay so the main character is Mac. She is a 22 year old girl who has just had her world turned upside down. Lounging by the pool anxiously awaiting the day her sister returns she gets the call that her beloved sister Alina has been murdered 4000 miles away in Ireland. The contrast of where Mac is from (Georgia) to where she ends up (Dublin Ireland) is enough of a shock for anyone. On top of that her world goes kaboom when she meets Jericho and finds out that not only is she a sidhe-seer but a Null. The story begins to start and then stops as you wait for the next installment.

I liked the characters and overall wittiness of the book. What I didn't like would be when Mac would do something or learn something new it was often followed by: ""Later I would learn..."" I got so tired of that line that I would skip a paragraph if it so much as hinted to having hte words in it. I also didn't like that there was obvious chemistry between Jericho and Mac but NOTHING not even kinship really blossomed there. Oh well who knows maybe in the next one? There are tons of openness on where this story could go. I am intrigued enough to snatch up the next one and read it." ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

133 wanted4 pay13 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,900,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible