Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Darkfever

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (170)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (173)
I'm sorry, I don't get it. I'm not sure why Darkfever is so popular. For most of the book I was bored and on top of that the characters are incredibly unlikeable. I only continued because I was advised that it gets better and it did improve a little but not enough for me to give it 3 stars.

My major problem was Mac and Barrons. Mac is supposed to be a bartender from a small town so she's sheltered but she's spoilt and lacks brains and common sense. She stumbles into bad situations without thinking of her own safety, basically she's Too Stupid To Live. Her Barbie look which had me thinking of Paris Hilton makes this worse. By the end, I thought she deserved to die. I couldn't believe how she managed to fight so well and survive without any training.

Barrons is arrogant and rude and not in a good way. He may be gorgeous and intelligent but he's not someone I'd ever want to spend time with. His change in behaviour at the end, painting Mac's nails for her because she was unable to do it herself, was completely out of character. However, I did feel sorry for him for having to deal with Mac. I'd have snapped and killed her quite early on. But that's me.

The story is occasionally commented on by Mac herself reflecting on these events from some future time. Every now and then this broke and ruined the tension and disappointed me by giving away information I didn't need to know yet. It was like someone telling me the end of a joke just before it was told. I didn't like this quirk at all. Why the author thought this was necessary, I don't know.

Not much is resolved within Darkfever so it tries to peak your curiosity to encourage you to buy the next one. Well, I got this for free from Amazon (thank goodness) and I don't see myself buying the next book. I may give it a shot at some point in the future but I'm not itching to get it from the library any time soon. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
"Okay so the main character is Mac. She is a 22 year old girl who has just had her world turned upside down. Lounging by the pool anxiously awaiting the day her sister returns she gets the call that her beloved sister Alina has been murdered 4000 miles away in Ireland. The contrast of where Mac is from (Georgia) to where she ends up (Dublin Ireland) is enough of a shock for anyone. On top of that her world goes kaboom when she meets Jericho and finds out that not only is she a sidhe-seer but a Null. The story begins to start and then stops as you wait for the next installment.

I liked the characters and overall wittiness of the book. What I didn't like would be when Mac would do something or learn something new it was often followed by: ""Later I would learn..."" I got so tired of that line that I would skip a paragraph if it so much as hinted to having hte words in it. I also didn't like that there was obvious chemistry between Jericho and Mac but NOTHING not even kinship really blossomed there. Oh well who knows maybe in the next one? There are tons of openness on where this story could go. I am intrigued enough to snatch up the next one and read it." ( )
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
Liked it enough to continue with the series, specially because people kept telling me that this one was the weakest of them all and to stick with it and that's what'll do. I really liked the main characters, but I think there were some long, very long descriptions that could use a little trimming. Oh, and the UST between Mac and Jericho is TO DIE FOR. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
I was told about this book a few years ago when I finished Twilight(I know, I know, NOT the same, but got the recommendation none the less). I had forgotten about it until recently and decided to give it a try. I read some reviews but had no idea the following it had. Now that I have read it i have one question to ask myself: WHO OH WHY DID I NOT PICK THIS UP SOONER?!?!? This first book was fantastic!! I loved every minute of it. I finally read the other 4 and with out giving anything away, this was by far the best paranormal series I have read. I am relatively new to the UF/PNR genre, but I am pretty certain this will always be at the top of my list. Thank you Karen for introducing me to a beautiful, exciting and steamy world.

Please please please, if you see this book around and haven't read it or someone suggests it to you, DO NOT IGNORE THEM!! You will not be wasting your time. ( )
  piper0820 | Jun 8, 2014 |
This is a terrific beginning to a very addictive series! I had tried to read Moning's earlier work with absolutely no success. After slurping up the delectable goodness of this (currently) four book series over the weekend, I am desolate that I will now be waiting almost a year for the next one. Fantastic series! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,512,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible