Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) by Karen…

Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

3,0491981,859 (3.95)99
Title:Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Dell (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (197)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (200)
3.5 stars

There are moments in my life as a reader when I am kind of scared to read a book/series. Not because of the subject, but because of the number of great things I hear about it. It kind of makes me afraid of being the only one that doesn't exactly like it and like I'm the only one who doesn't get it. I had that fear with Darkfever. Almost every blogger I follow and every person from the reading forums and groups I'm on have read and loved this series. So there was a bit of a pressure when I began reading this book.

The world building is fantastic. I love the history and the way the Fae are described. And I liked that some are hideous like a nightmare. Even I thought they were a little too ugly. But that's good. Again, it's always a good thing to break away from the usual track of things.

Mac was... unique. It's not that I didn't like her, I did. And I liked that she likes nail polish just as much as I do (I'm a girly girl like that *blush*), though I tend to stay with the darker shades myself. I think she's so unique especially because she really is a girly girl. I don't think I've read about a heroine that loves to dress up or wear make up or nail polish so much. I liked that soft side of her. I also liked the fact that she tries to maintain her idea that anything supernatural is just a fairy tale. I liked that she doesn't just get on board with anything, no matter how scary or real things may seem.

The thing I could have done without was the constant "I didn't know it back then, but I would soon find out the truth" thing. Sort of like she's already gone through all that and she's just remembering it. And the more she remembers things, she tries to put two ideas into one. I would've wanted to have this broken into more scenes. Something like "Hey, remember when I said so-and-so did this and that? Well, this is what actually happened". It would be nice to have some more mystery surrounding things and keep me in the dark when it comes to certain aspects of the story. Knowing beforehand that things aren't what they seem makes it a little difficult not to want to jump inside the book and shake Mac a little and tell her the truth about stuff.

Then Barrons came. See, I was sure I would be instantly head-over-heels in love with him. Instead I found him too bossy sometimes and sometimes he kind of pissed me off. Not too much, but enough to want to see Mac smack him. Gibbs' style (on the back of the head for those of you that don't watch NCIS).

The book ended so abruptly I didn't know what hit me. I will be reading Bloodfever, at least to satisfy my curiosity and see if we get some between the sheets action. And maybe Barrons will grow on me. Can't say my opinion about V'Lane, because we haven't seen him so many times yet. Anyway, I'll keep reading. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
I love this series. It's been a while since I read it for the first time, but I come back to it in my mind all the time. There are few PNR series that can hold a candle to it, honestly, and they know who they are. There are only two series that have given me a serious reading-hangover. This is one. I couldn't pick up another book for weeks, people. Weeks.

That being said, this first book is like most beginnings to a series: meh. Compared to the rest, this is not the one that stands out. But it is where we see most of the main players take the field and events are set in motion. We see Rainbow Mac. We meet Barrons. We see Faeries. We get a glimpse of the darkness that is to come. This is not a light urban fantasy. It gets bleak at times. And I love it.

This really is one of those series that you need to read twice; it is written to reward multiple visits. When you first go through it, there are so many ominous allusions to future events that you just ignore them... Bad stuff happens eventually, OK, I get it. But on a second read... You see how incredibly specific some of those hints really are.

I had been wanting to re-read this series for months, but couldn't find it in myself to halt everything and devote an extended amount of time to a 5 book series. Cause let's be honest... Until I go through them all, I am not picking anything else up. So thank you Litchick for the buddy read!

GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
"3 out of 5 stars. The story is written in a journal aspect, like Mac went through this journey and then is writing it all down afterwards so it'll be documented, you know this since there is a lot of foretelling in how the details are written. I'm not sure if I completely like that or not..."

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/02/sometimes-i-give-myself-creeps... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Aug 16, 2016 |
This was a super easy and fun read; it took me less than a day. I think the story is interesting, and I like that it's set in Dublin. However, Mac is such an annoying character, but I'm guessing she's going to be much more likable in the next books since I started to like her more towards the end. I just wish she wouldn't take so many stupid and immature actions. ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 9, 2016 |
Since I'd won Vol. 6 of the Fever series in a Goodreads giveaway I decided to get a handle on the characters and setting by reading Vol. 1. At first I thought it was going to be another vapid Bella Swan/Anastasia Steele/whoever meets some variation of Mr. Darcy disappointment but I'm glad to say I was wrong. There was some seriously good world building in Darkfever once it got going and the main character was a light counterpoint to all the dark goings-on and creatures around her. This book introduced more than enough suspense/love/lust/mystery to keep things interesting for some time to come. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

Karen Marie Moningprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,711,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible