Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) by Karen…

Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

2,9841951,913 (3.95)97
Member:stixnstones004
Title:Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Dell (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Recently added byJoscelinEberle, SDDAR, DobbyHasWings, FionaBaylis, Lyali, acf151, private library, BethMcV69
    A Kiss Of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (193)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (196)

“You, Ms. Lane, are a menace to others! A walking, talking catastrophe in pink!”

I’m a huge Urban Fantasy person, but usually the fairy and fae stuff is a turn off. Even with that being a major plot point in the synopsis of the book, I was curious with the rest of the details so had to try. I’m glad I did, for the book turned out to be a fascinating introduction into a dark, bleak world where a girl who loves light, the sun, and backyard barbeques is thrust into a depressing existence while trying to solve her sister’s murder.

I loved the character of MacKayla; she’s funny, not afraid to be herself, doesn’t care if she’s different and is instead proud of that fact, loyal, determined, but not so unusual to where you feel isolated from her. She’s amusing in her mind, her words, and her actions – including wearing a ridiculously bright and rainbow-colored dress to a dark, formal, somber occasion. One of the biggest tragedies for her was having to dye her blonde hair dark, too cute. It may sound like she could get annoying, but she really didn’t, the author handled her well.

“Last night you said you wanted to know what to expect so you could better select your attire. I told you we were going to visit a vampire in a Goth-den tonight. Why, then, Ms. Lane, do you look like a perky rainbow?”

Mac grows into her own and shows that beneath the beauty and allure, she’s a strong woman who is determined to find out what happened to her sister. That sisterly bond and thing and all works strong. She unearths some startling revelations about her heritage and herself as well, forcing a sped up change and acceptance.

Oh, and this series also celebrates the love of books! A great bookstore is one of the main settings and Mac loves to read, enjoy when an author focuses on that.

Barrons…well, what can be said about Barrons? The man is hard to sum up in words, you need to read it to know. Cultured and sophisticated, he possesses a wit, an attitude, a dark allure that just oozes off of him with minimal effort. Vlayne is introduced as an ‘other’, a fae light prince who uses seduction as his tool. He’s as disturbing as he is fascinating. Just the characters alone made it impossible for me to put this book down.

“He didn't just occupy space; he saturated it. The room had been full of books before, now it was full of him.”

The world Ms. Moning has created is a brilliant one – taking the beautiful but rain drenched streets of Dublin, Ireland and tying them into the mystical battles of the dark and light fey. There are genuinely creepy, horrifying creatures that roam the streets, whether shadows or other monsters, all terrifying in their intensities, methods of killing people, their appearance, their cruelty. The light fey aren’t much better as death and addiction may ensue, but they are a delight on the eyes and the senses. It’s wrapped up further as all are after an ancient, powerful object that Mac’s sister was tied up in.

This book is all about the story – lots happening, great scenes, fast pacing, no romance (but some fun stuff anyway), a little humor, tons of morbid darkness and severely brutal stuff. Highly recommended for fantasy fans.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Nice book. Was exciting to read. I'll definitely read the rest of the series
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
Darkfever
3 Stars

Note: This is a review of the audiobook read by Joyce Bean. The narration and accent for Mac are good but Jericho sounds like a crotchety old man rather than a dominant alpha male.

Caveat: I cannot stand the heroine in this book and if the other elements in the story weren't as intriguing as they are, it would have been a DNF.

Review:
OK, I have to get it off my chest. Mac is a vain, insipid, shallow, vacuous, frivolous and vapid twit so preoccupied with her hair, nails, clothes, makeup and iPod that it is amazing she cared about anyone else long enough to seek out her sister's killer. That said, she did begin to grow on me at times, but would almost immediately start in on her wardrobe and my fleeting approval would dissipate in a flash.

Moreover, the nature of the narrative contributes both to my dislike of Mac as well as my difficulty following events in the story. To begin with, Mac rambles on endlessly about anything and everything which had me tuning out every so often and I would have to rewind in order to pick up the narrative thread again. In addition, the non-linear sequencing had me constantly questioning: "what just happened?" or "how the hell did that happen?". Scenes also end abruptly at the conclusion of a chapter and the next chapter opens with a completely unrelated event, and the story is told in flashback with Mac commenting on the outcome of certain events, which detracts from the build up of tension and suspense.

Thankfully, other aspects of the book saved it from the DNF pile. The world building is well-developed, especially the fae who are dark, scary and horrific whether Seelie or Unseelie. The intertextuality is brilliantly interwoven into the story whether it is Celtic myth or references to Harry Potter, and the enigmatic and morally ambiguous Barrons with his dry wit and cutting sarcasm is particularly intriguing.

The plot has potential and the secondary characters are interesting (although the scenes with V'lane are seriously ICKY and made my skin crawl).

All in all, not too bad and I've heard the Mac does improve in the next installments so I will probably continue reading if only to see where things go and to find out who, or what, the mysterious Barrons is. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I usually don't much care for Fae stories. But I really did enjoy this one. Mac is an interesting character. Barrons well mmmmm . He's a bit of an ass though lol. I'm sure he will get better. I'm thinking he cares for Mac a bit more than he lets on. This Ms. Lane stuff is forced I think. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
"3 out of 5 stars. The story is written in a journal aspect, like Mac went through this journey and then is writing it all down afterwards so it'll be documented, you know this since there is a lot of foretelling in how the details are written. I'm not sure if I completely like that or not..."

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/02/sometimes-i-give-myself-creeps... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | May 19, 2016 |
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,836,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible