Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) by Karen…

Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

Member:stixnstones004
Title:Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Dell (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (172)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (175)
MacKayla Lane has been living a sheltered, happy life in a small town in Georgia full of happiness and all things pink. However, that world is shattered when her beloved sister, who is away at school in Dublin, is horribly murdered. Mac goes to Dublin hoping to persuade the police to do a better job investigating. Instead, Mac discovers that reality isn’t what she has always believed. The Fae (fairies) are real – and we aren’t talking Tinkerbell. The Unseelie Fae (Dark Fairies) are escaping their prison, and a book of dark magic is loose. The Unseelie may be linked to Mac’s sister being dead. Meanwhile, Mac meets Jericho Barrons who wants the book of magic. Hoping to get revenge, Mac teams up with Barrons, even though she doesn’t know if she can trust him. As the series progresses, the apocalypse is coming, and it is up to Mac to figure out who she can trust and how, or if, she can save the world. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 13, 2014 |
So...a long time ago, right before Shadowfever was about to release there was mass buzz all over Twitter telling everyone to read this series. Numerous people, to include many prominent book paranormal romance book bloggers told me to read this series. Many people who have been familiar with my reading tastes for a couple of years told me to read this series. Well, I just started it this month and I smacked myself in forhead for not reading it sooner.

I was shocked by the way the book started out but awed at the same time. I thought, alright, guess we are jumping right in here. I love the way Ms. Moning makes sure us readers understand what is happening and makes sure to outline her intense world in dosable amounts. I also love Mac and her drive to survive at all costs. I know a lot of people would do what it takes to live and survive but she does it in a kick ass way, even when she falls on her ass, she gets back up and keeps on going.

Needless to say, I heart me some Barrons. I don't at all trust him but I heart him. I am sure I am just like everyone else when reading this book wondering what the heck, and basically who the heck, he is. I am happily waiting to find out more about this man and how he captures readers hearts across the globe, and would definitely scoff at the fact that he has. Also, I can't be the only one who has a think of the Seelie Prince right? I like him and all his sex appeal...sorry, can't help it.

I don't think there was anything I didn't like about this book. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I'm sorry, I don't get it. I'm not sure why Darkfever is so popular. For most of the book I was bored and on top of that the characters are incredibly unlikeable. I only continued because I was advised that it gets better and it did improve a little but not enough for me to give it 3 stars.

My major problem was Mac and Barrons. Mac is supposed to be a bartender from a small town so she's sheltered but she's spoilt and lacks brains and common sense. She stumbles into bad situations without thinking of her own safety, basically she's Too Stupid To Live. Her Barbie look which had me thinking of Paris Hilton makes this worse. By the end, I thought she deserved to die. I couldn't believe how she managed to fight so well and survive without any training.

Barrons is arrogant and rude and not in a good way. He may be gorgeous and intelligent but he's not someone I'd ever want to spend time with. His change in behaviour at the end, painting Mac's nails for her because she was unable to do it herself, was completely out of character. However, I did feel sorry for him for having to deal with Mac. I'd have snapped and killed her quite early on. But that's me.

The story is occasionally commented on by Mac herself reflecting on these events from some future time. Every now and then this broke and ruined the tension and disappointed me by giving away information I didn't need to know yet. It was like someone telling me the end of a joke just before it was told. I didn't like this quirk at all. Why the author thought this was necessary, I don't know.

Not much is resolved within Darkfever so it tries to peak your curiosity to encourage you to buy the next one. Well, I got this for free from Amazon (thank goodness) and I don't see myself buying the next book. I may give it a shot at some point in the future but I'm not itching to get it from the library any time soon. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
"Okay so the main character is Mac. She is a 22 year old girl who has just had her world turned upside down. Lounging by the pool anxiously awaiting the day her sister returns she gets the call that her beloved sister Alina has been murdered 4000 miles away in Ireland. The contrast of where Mac is from (Georgia) to where she ends up (Dublin Ireland) is enough of a shock for anyone. On top of that her world goes kaboom when she meets Jericho and finds out that not only is she a sidhe-seer but a Null. The story begins to start and then stops as you wait for the next installment.

I liked the characters and overall wittiness of the book. What I didn't like would be when Mac would do something or learn something new it was often followed by: ""Later I would learn..."" I got so tired of that line that I would skip a paragraph if it so much as hinted to having hte words in it. I also didn't like that there was obvious chemistry between Jericho and Mac but NOTHING not even kinship really blossomed there. Oh well who knows maybe in the next one? There are tons of openness on where this story could go. I am intrigued enough to snatch up the next one and read it." ( )
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
Liked it enough to continue with the series, specially because people kept telling me that this one was the weakest of them all and to stick with it and that's what'll do. I really liked the main characters, but I think there were some long, very long descriptions that could use a little trimming. Oh, and the UST between Mac and Jericho is TO DIE FOR. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,335,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible