Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) by Karen…

Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

3,0381971,867 (3.95)99
Member:stixnstones004
Title:Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Dell (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (196)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (199)
I love this series. It's been a while since I read it for the first time, but I come back to it in my mind all the time. There are few PNR series that can hold a candle to it, honestly, and they know who they are. There are only two series that have given me a serious reading-hangover. This is one. I couldn't pick up another book for weeks, people. Weeks.

That being said, this first book is like most beginnings to a series: meh. Compared to the rest, this is not the one that stands out. But it is where we see most of the main players take the field and events are set in motion. We see Rainbow Mac. We meet Barrons. We see Faeries. We get a glimpse of the darkness that is to come. This is not a light urban fantasy. It gets bleak at times. And I love it.

This really is one of those series that you need to read twice; it is written to reward multiple visits. When you first go through it, there are so many ominous allusions to future events that you just ignore them... Bad stuff happens eventually, OK, I get it. But on a second read... You see how incredibly specific some of those hints really are.

I had been wanting to re-read this series for months, but couldn't find it in myself to halt everything and devote an extended amount of time to a 5 book series. Cause let's be honest... Until I go through them all, I am not picking anything else up. So thank you Litchick for the buddy read!

TLDR: READ IT. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
"3 out of 5 stars. The story is written in a journal aspect, like Mac went through this journey and then is writing it all down afterwards so it'll be documented, you know this since there is a lot of foretelling in how the details are written. I'm not sure if I completely like that or not..."

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/02/sometimes-i-give-myself-creeps... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Aug 16, 2016 |
This was a super easy and fun read; it took me less than a day. I think the story is interesting, and I like that it's set in Dublin. However, Mac is such an annoying character, but I'm guessing she's going to be much more likable in the next books since I started to like her more towards the end. I just wish she wouldn't take so many stupid and immature actions. ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 9, 2016 |
Since I'd won Vol. 6 of the Fever series in a Goodreads giveaway I decided to get a handle on the characters and setting by reading Vol. 1. At first I thought it was going to be another vapid Bella Swan/Anastasia Steele/whoever meets some variation of Mr. Darcy disappointment but I'm glad to say I was wrong. There was some seriously good world building in Darkfever once it got going and the main character was a light counterpoint to all the dark goings-on and creatures around her. This book introduced more than enough suspense/love/lust/mystery to keep things interesting for some time to come. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

“You, Ms. Lane, are a menace to others! A walking, talking catastrophe in pink!”

I’m a huge Urban Fantasy person, but usually the fairy and fae stuff is a turn off. Even with that being a major plot point in the synopsis of the book, I was curious with the rest of the details so had to try. I’m glad I did, for the book turned out to be a fascinating introduction into a dark, bleak world where a girl who loves light, the sun, and backyard barbeques is thrust into a depressing existence while trying to solve her sister’s murder.

I loved the character of MacKayla; she’s funny, not afraid to be herself, doesn’t care if she’s different and is instead proud of that fact, loyal, determined, but not so unusual to where you feel isolated from her. She’s amusing in her mind, her words, and her actions – including wearing a ridiculously bright and rainbow-colored dress to a dark, formal, somber occasion. One of the biggest tragedies for her was having to dye her blonde hair dark, too cute. It may sound like she could get annoying, but she really didn’t, the author handled her well.

“Last night you said you wanted to know what to expect so you could better select your attire. I told you we were going to visit a vampire in a Goth-den tonight. Why, then, Ms. Lane, do you look like a perky rainbow?”

Mac grows into her own and shows that beneath the beauty and allure, she’s a strong woman who is determined to find out what happened to her sister. That sisterly bond and thing and all works strong. She unearths some startling revelations about her heritage and herself as well, forcing a sped up change and acceptance.

Oh, and this series also celebrates the love of books! A great bookstore is one of the main settings and Mac loves to read, enjoy when an author focuses on that.

Barrons…well, what can be said about Barrons? The man is hard to sum up in words, you need to read it to know. Cultured and sophisticated, he possesses a wit, an attitude, a dark allure that just oozes off of him with minimal effort. Vlayne is introduced as an ‘other’, a fae light prince who uses seduction as his tool. He’s as disturbing as he is fascinating. Just the characters alone made it impossible for me to put this book down.

“He didn't just occupy space; he saturated it. The room had been full of books before, now it was full of him.”

The world Ms. Moning has created is a brilliant one – taking the beautiful but rain drenched streets of Dublin, Ireland and tying them into the mystical battles of the dark and light fey. There are genuinely creepy, horrifying creatures that roam the streets, whether shadows or other monsters, all terrifying in their intensities, methods of killing people, their appearance, their cruelty. The light fey aren’t much better as death and addiction may ensue, but they are a delight on the eyes and the senses. It’s wrapped up further as all are after an ancient, powerful object that Mac’s sister was tied up in.

This book is all about the story – lots happening, great scenes, fast pacing, no romance (but some fun stuff anyway), a little humor, tons of morbid darkness and severely brutal stuff. Highly recommended for fantasy fans.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Karen Marie Moningprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,164,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible