Hamlet by William Shakespeare

Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:Puffin (2011), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:drama, tragedy, british

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (Voracious_Reader, kxlly)
    Voracious_Reader: Existentialist, tragicomedy based on Shakespeare's Hamlet. Very different from Shakespeare's Hamlet and yet there's a definite, deep connection between the two.
    Macbeth by William Shakespeare (Pattty)
    Pattty: Si te gustó Hamlet seguro te gustará Macbeth, que es una historia buena y mucho más "macabra"
    Let Me Tell You by Paul Griffiths (alanteder)
    alanteder: A novel from Ophelia's point of view constructed using only the 481 words used by Ophelia in the play (from all Quartos and First Folio editions). The technique is called Oulipo, creating a literature work using constricted, limited resources.
    The Tragicall Historie of Hamlet Prince of Denmarke by William Shakespeare (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: The modern text of Hamlet and the First Quarto make an interesting and thought-provoking comparison. Little is known about the foundations of Q1, but it opens the door of endless speculation about Elizabethan authorship, publishing, piracy and what not.… (more)
    Life is a Dream by Pedro Calderón de la Barca (Sergio88)
    Sergio88: Perhaps the spanish play most similar to Hamlet.
    Ophelia by Lisa Klein (Anonymous user)
    King Lear by William Shakespeare (kara.shamy)
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (kara.shamy)
    Shakespearean Tragedy by A. C. Bradley (DLSmithies)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (kara.shamy)

English (132)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  All languages (144)
I finally read this tale for the first time and I wasn't disappointed. Hamlet wasn't a character to read about lightly, giving a perplexing feeling every time he spoke. The emotions of most of characters are what carry the story, and what will be the effects of their actions. In the beginning of the book, the Ghost's words were the most interesting to read. Near the end of the play, Hamlet's hilarious comments to Ophelia were so funny because they were out of nowhere, before the tragic ending of the play. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
Possibly one of the only tragedies Shakespeare wrote that I can really, truly say I enjoyed. I really can't say much about it without ruining it though, so I'll just say READ IT (avoid the movie until you've done so though. I really like Kenneth Branagh, but it's just a little overkill.) ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
My favorite of Shakespeare's plays(that I've read). Is there a more interesting character than Hamlet? The amazing this about this play is that I know the end from the very beginning, but I'm always compelled to read on. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
New Swan Shakespeare, advanced series, offer consistently useful presentations of Shakespeare’s plays. This one has all the textual explanations that are needed along with explanatory as well as descriptive introductions to each scene. I wasn’t that keen on the introduction, though, with the character analyses restricted to examination of their characters rather than how they contribute to the play’s themes which, in turn, could have been explored more fully. Better headings in the introduction would have helped add clarity too.

This, of course, is to ignore the play itself. It’s not one of my favourite Shakespearian dramas. While Hamlet does capture his (and our) uncertainties about how to live morally in a corrupt world and does draw the focus on the way we tend not to look at death, there were elements in the play which just seemed too mechanical for me. Compare the ghost of King Hamlet with Banquo’s ghost in ‘Macbeth’, for example. In ‘Hamlet’ we have a ghost demanding his son take revenge – it’s all rather one-dimensional. In ‘Macbeth’, though, there’s doubt about whether there is a ghost – Macbeth sees it but no others do. And why does King Hamlet appear to his son when I thought they were only supposed to be visible to their murderers? Macbeth’s deterioration was also more convincing than the snapshots we have of Claudius’ regret. Still, I do remember enjoying the humour created by the lack of self-awareness of Polonius in one production I saw. ( )
  evening | Jun 6, 2014 |
I've had this hanging around since I think senior year of high school when I started to read it and never finished, but I was inspired to pick it up and re-do it because Crash Course on YouTube covered it and I wanted to know the play before watching the video. This is kind of a must-read because there are so many quotes (beyond just "To be or not to be"), and it's one of those things you need to read to be culturally literate (admittedly, I now feel bad waiting so long). It wasn't the most exciting story to me- Hamlet is upset from the start with his uncle marrying his mother, but he kind of bides his time and bides it some more and some more... I get that he wants to verify what his uncle has done, but he dithers and even when he is certain goes to England rather than take action. Meanwhile I remembered that Ophelia committed suicide, so I was curious about her role. Was she completely freaked out by her father's death or was she upset about Hamlet being kind of obnoxious (he blames his mother, but then he takes it out on Ophelia) and he's very back and forth with her. I can understand why he has to go emo and muse about life and death constantly, but he dragged everyone else in it with him. Horatio's about the only guy who can get away with knowing Hamlet and living. I don't feel like I get to appreciate justice being served with Claudius dying when every other character dies with him and Denmark is given over to some foreign prince. The ambiguity is part of what makes this play famous and studied (What's Queen Gertrude's role? Was she beguiled by Claudius or a partner in his crimes?), but it's also a bit unsettling. It is not a very restful play. ( )
  the1butterfly | May 31, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is a parody of

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Amleto ( [1908]IMDb)
Amleto ( [1908]IMDb)
Act 1, Scene 1
Enter Barnardo and Francisco, two sentinels.

Barnardo
Who's there?
Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven,
Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads.
And recks not his own rede.
This above all — to thine ownself be true;
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Please do not combine with this work the First Quarto (Q1) from 1603. This really is a different play. The Second Quarto (Q2), First Folio (F1), and modern texts based on them belong here.
Shakespeare's telling of a man who struggles with the death of his father and the re-marriage of his mother. Hamlet knows his uncle killed his father but must determine how to act. He struggles with anger an depression and kills the father of the woman who loves him. it is a tragedy.

This was just really hard to understand in fourth grade. There were a couple funny parts, but mostly it was just dark and there was a lot of killing. I thought it was dumb that everyone died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074347712X, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Michael Neill

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:33 -0400)

Presents the text of William Shakespeare's tragedy in which Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, struggles with the decision whether to avenge his father's murder, and includes text glosses; details on Shakespeare's life, world, and theater; and an essay that offers a modern perspective on the play.… (more)

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451526929, 0140714545, 0141013079

Yale University Press

Two editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300101058, 0300101759

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

Three editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449875459, 1456109472, 1449875467

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible