Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

Baby Proof

by Emily Giffin

Ask Again Later by Jill A. Davis (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: both chick lit, kind of coming of age stories about 30(ish) year old women. Ask Again Later has less story but is funnier than Baby Proof.

English (48)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (51)
Although Baby Proof is not nearly as good as Something Borrowed or Something Blue, it still is an enjoyable, easy read with an ending that delivers the conventional but fully satisfying goods.

The heroine is a woman named Claudia Parr who finds her true love in the very beginning of the book, bonding with her future husband Ben based on their mutual conviction to never have children. The marriage falls apart and ends in divorce when after a few years he changes his mind but she doesn't, an unraveling process that is rather abrupt and unconvincing.

Claudia explores other options, thinks of Ben, and spends time with her sisters -- each of whose families provide a counterpoint to Claudia's own life (one sister has three children and a cheating husband, the other has been trying to conceive for years).

Eventually she realizes she is still in love with her now-ex husband Ben and is willing to do anything -- even have a baby -- to get back together with him. But is it too late? You'll have to read it to find out. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
This book reads more like a memoir than a novel. The beginning was a little slow, as the first chapter is told in the past tense and is a pretty major data dump of back story that surprised me. I didn't know you could get away with that! LOL

But Griffin's writing style is so fluid and easy to read, not cluttered with pretense. Her character portraits subtly draw you in with little observations and memories that are easy to relate to. I found myself smiling or laughing in several spots where I had had a similar thought myself about life in general.

I cared about these characters more and more as the story progressed and wanted to nothing more than just sit and read. Still, I was disappointed by the ending. After spending hundreds of pages aching and agonizing with Claudia, I felt the ending should have had more of a get-everything-out-on-the-table heart-to-heart where she could open up and not dance around her feelings. I get the fragility of the situation (not trying to give away any spoilers), but I yearned for the honesty and openness all throughout the book and was disappointed not to truly find it in the end.

Even though it was off the beaten path from my normal reading selections, I enjoyed Griffin's writing very much and will definitely pick up another of hers when I'm in the mood for a rich, character-driven, emotional story. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
Ben and Claudia quickly knew they were soulmates - they could talk for hours, enjoyed each other's jokes and company, and, oh yes, neither one ever wanted children. A match made in heaven until one mind is changed about that baby thing...

Really a very nice study of love, of sacrifice, and of family. I'd recommend it to anyone, even if they typically do not care for chick lit. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |
I normally don't like ambiguous endings, but in this case, it made the book perfect. I loved it. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I only give 5 stars to books I'd read again, and once was enough for this one. ( )
  heike6 | May 2, 2013 |
Definitely my least favourite book written by Emily Giffin.
I did not like the characters much and thought Ben was the worst asshole.

Beware! Spoilers are coming up!

Claudia and everybody else were saying what a great marriage they had, but I did not see that at all. Claudia appears at first to be a very intelligent woman, who decided very early, she did not want to have a baby. She meets Ben and babies come up, and it appears they are both on the same weight lenght on this subject. Both do not want to have kids and they make a deal when they meet they will not try to have kids. Then after they are married and a few years later,all of a sudden he changes his mind,he does now want a baby but does not really want to talk about it. When he talks he talks in max 5 words sentences. Oh what a great marriage they have. She must have a kid or else. Then without discussing it they split.

Then it gets even more pathetic.
Claudia starts to miss him and here we thought she was a strong woman (it was great to see someone writing about women who do not want kids, how their family and friends react to that and how they are judges by many) but apprently all of a sudden, only because she does miss Ben, all her strong views of life are thrown away. She will have a baby just to get Ben back. Claudia 0 Ben and baby:1

Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
For my father, with gratitude
I never wanted to be a mother.

A novel that explores the question: Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love?

Claudia Parr has everything going for her. A successful editor at a publishing house in Manhattan, she's also a devoted sister, aunt, and friend. Yet she's never wanted to become a mother--which she discovers is a major hurdle to marriage, something she desperately wants. Then she meets her soul mate Ben who, miraculously, feels the same way about parenthood. The two fall in love and marry, committed to one another and their life of adventure and discovery. All's well until one of them has a change of heart. Someone wants a baby after all.

This is the witty, heartfelt story about what happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things and there is no compromise. It's about deciding what is most important in life and wagering everything to get it. And most of all, it's about the things we will--and won't--do for love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:10 -0400)

Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love? What happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things? First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes--a baby carriage. Isn't that what all women want? Not so for Claudia Parr. And just as she gives up on finding a man who feels the same way, she meets warm, wonderful Ben. Things seem too good to be true when they fall in love and agree to buck tradition with a satisfying, child-free marriage. Then the unexpected occurs: one of them has a change of heart. One of them wants children after all.--From publisher description.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible