Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

Baby Proof

by Emily Giffin

Ask Again Later by Jill A. Davis (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: both chick lit, kind of coming of age stories about 30(ish) year old women. Ask Again Later has less story but is funnier than Baby Proof.

English (49)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (52)
I think perhaps this book should have been about 100 pages shorter. By the end, I was tired of the whole story. Claudia doesn't want any children, but suddenly husband Ben does. What to do? Her sister also wants a baby but can't have one, and one other sister has some but is in a troubled marriage. I was more interested in the sisters' stories than Claudia's, to be honest. Claudia just comes across as selfish. I do have a problem with the ending too. I cannot say much without spoiling the ending but, oh, what the heck. You've been warned. Having a baby to keep your husband is the wrong reason to have a baby!!! ( )
  hobbitprincess | Nov 21, 2015 |
To be 100% honest, I didn't really like the main character at all. I liked the book as a whole but I saw the main character as being really childish. I think that may have been the idea, for Claudia (main character) to learn to grow up and compromise. Even though at the beginning of the novel she is already married, and personally I think people should know how to compromise. Part of my feelings on this may be the fact that I'm hormonal right now, but I don't think this is a book I'd ever read again. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I had been wanting to pick this book up for a while. I'm not a die-hard chick lit fan and I had read some terrible reviews of Giffin's other books (Something borrowed and Something blue, etc.) but really wanted to give this one a go as the theme hits pretty close to home. I found myself immediately liking the heroine and narrator, Claudia. She came off as being very level-headed with admirable ethics and convictions. Her reasoning for not wanting children was very sound and she wasn't at all painted as the cold-hearted child hater that society typically assumes women are when they are child-free by choice (CFBC). Claudia has close relationships with her sisters and female friends, each of whom has some kind of child-related dilemma--her eldest sister stayed in a terrible marriage for her children but has had enough of her husband's cheating; her other sister has been trying to conceive for ages and finds out her eggs are too old and then there's her best friend who accidentally got pregnant on purpose while sleeping with a married man because she realized she wants children more than a stable relationship. Throughout their troubles, Claudia is often the voice of reason, offering sisterly support and advice. We also see her spend time with her niece and she explains how much she enjoys baby-sitting her, but doesn't feel she could be capable as a mother. When Claudia and her husband Ben divorced early on in the novel, I had a lot of sympathy for Claudia, but I admired her for dong it. Her husband, who claimed to be CFBC when they met, changed his mind when their close mutual friends announced they were pregnant. He insisted they could compromise on only having only one child and from Claudia's perspective, seemed to constantly harass her about having children and had his family on his side to pressure her as well. I was impressed that she stood up for what she believed in, not caving in to his wishes and gave him an ultimatum: marriage to her or a child. His decision however brought on a lot of heartbreak. Even finding herself in the arms (and bed) of a seemingly perfect man couldn't quelch the pain and longing she felt for her husband. As a side note, I really wish the book wasn't written in the first-person perspective, just so we could have better understood Ben's change of heart. Was he more of a fence-sitter and agreed to be child-free, but had all along secretly wanted a baby? Or did he really just do a one-eighty on Claudia? As the book nears its climax, Claudia realizes she misses Ben so much, she would be willing to have a child to get her husband back. On the one hand, I believe she does love him this much, but on the other, I can't believe she would cave after all this time. Having a child is a HUGE decision and she just decides all of a sudden she'd be willing to do it to make him happy. This seems to me like a pretty crappy reason to procreate. (I was annoyed, but decided to keep reading...) We soon learn, however, that Ben's new fling--a lean, blonde, young and fertile doctor-- is wearing an engagement ring. After much wallowing and depression, Claudia decides to face him in person and plead her case, offering up her uterus as a dowry for them to get back together. The sitcom cliche of miscommunication is the quick and easy wrap-up to the story that Giffin chose to utilize. All of the couples in the book have happy endings, despite Claudia explaining to her niece earlier that not all stories have happy endings. While Claudia offered to have a baby, Ben said he didn't need one as long as he could have her back. Yet after a month of reconciliation, neither of them will address the elephant in the room and the reader has no closure as to whether or not they spawned. The ending was way too quick and tidy, with no real answers or decisions. Thank God this was a really fast read, otherwise I'd be a lot more disappointed to have wasted my time on this novel. I definitely won't be reading any of her other books
  LoveOfMuffins4820 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Although Baby Proof is not nearly as good as Something Borrowed or Something Blue, it still is an enjoyable, easy read with an ending that delivers the conventional but fully satisfying goods.

The heroine is a woman named Claudia Parr who finds her true love in the very beginning of the book, bonding with her future husband Ben based on their mutual conviction to never have children. The marriage falls apart and ends in divorce when after a few years he changes his mind but she doesn't, an unraveling process that is rather abrupt and unconvincing.

Claudia explores other options, thinks of Ben, and spends time with her sisters -- each of whose families provide a counterpoint to Claudia's own life (one sister has three children and a cheating husband, the other has been trying to conceive for years).

Eventually she realizes she is still in love with her now-ex husband Ben and is willing to do anything -- even have a baby -- to get back together with him. But is it too late? You'll have to read it to find out. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
This book reads more like a memoir than a novel. The beginning was a little slow, as the first chapter is told in the past tense and is a pretty major data dump of back story that surprised me. I didn't know you could get away with that! LOL

But Griffin's writing style is so fluid and easy to read, not cluttered with pretense. Her character portraits subtly draw you in with little observations and memories that are easy to relate to. I found myself smiling or laughing in several spots where I had had a similar thought myself about life in general.

I cared about these characters more and more as the story progressed and wanted to nothing more than just sit and read. Still, I was disappointed by the ending. After spending hundreds of pages aching and agonizing with Claudia, I felt the ending should have had more of a get-everything-out-on-the-table heart-to-heart where she could open up and not dance around her feelings. I get the fragility of the situation (not trying to give away any spoilers), but I yearned for the honesty and openness all throughout the book and was disappointed not to truly find it in the end.

Even though it was off the beaten path from my normal reading selections, I enjoyed Griffin's writing very much and will definitely pick up another of hers when I'm in the mood for a rich, character-driven, emotional story. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
For my father, with gratitude
I never wanted to be a mother.

A novel that explores the question: Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love?

Claudia Parr has everything going for her. A successful editor at a publishing house in Manhattan, she's also a devoted sister, aunt, and friend. Yet she's never wanted to become a mother--which she discovers is a major hurdle to marriage, something she desperately wants. Then she meets her soul mate Ben who, miraculously, feels the same way about parenthood. The two fall in love and marry, committed to one another and their life of adventure and discovery. All's well until one of them has a change of heart. Someone wants a baby after all.

This is the witty, heartfelt story about what happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things and there is no compromise. It's about deciding what is most important in life and wagering everything to get it. And most of all, it's about the things we will--and won't--do for love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:11 -0400)

Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love? What happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things? First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes--a baby carriage. Isn't that what all women want? Not so for Claudia Parr. And just as she gives up on finding a man who feels the same way, she meets warm, wonderful Ben. Things seem too good to be true when they fall in love and agree to buck tradition with a satisfying, child-free marriage. Then the unexpected occurs: one of them has a change of heart. One of them wants children after all.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible