Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

Baby Proof

by Emily Giffin

Ask Again Later by Jill A. Davis (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: both chick lit, kind of coming of age stories about 30(ish) year old women. Ask Again Later has less story but is funnier than Baby Proof.

English (51)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (54)
I am starting to really appreciate and like how Emily creates characters. She takes this attributes that people normally aren't so crazy about and puts them on a face that we can almost relate to. Hopefully, that makes sense. In Baby Proof Emily introduces us to Claudia, a woman who has never wanted to be a mother and whose marriage ends because of that conviction. Normally a woman like this would be someone I would see as an alien with three heads. How could you not want to be a mother? Especially when you in particular have so many valuable things to contribute to a child's life? By the end though I really felt like I could relate to her and slightly understand where she was coming from.

Now for the actual writing. Some moments of the story felt really rushed and kind of unbelievable. Her marriage really ends just that suddenly? Come on!

This isn't my favorite of Giffin's novels, but I still do like it. I'm excited for her future work, but wonder what will happen when she runs out of such taboo topics. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
heartwarming, great story! Kind of leaves you hanging.
Listened on audio Cynthia Nixon - GREAT ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |
I think perhaps this book should have been about 100 pages shorter. By the end, I was tired of the whole story. Claudia doesn't want any children, but suddenly husband Ben does. What to do? Her sister also wants a baby but can't have one, and one other sister has some but is in a troubled marriage. I was more interested in the sisters' stories than Claudia's, to be honest. Claudia just comes across as selfish. I do have a problem with the ending too. I cannot say much without spoiling the ending but, oh, what the heck. You've been warned. Having a baby to keep your husband is the wrong reason to have a baby!!! ( )
  hobbitprincess | Nov 21, 2015 |
To be 100% honest, I didn't really like the main character at all. I liked the book as a whole but I saw the main character as being really childish. I think that may have been the idea, for Claudia (main character) to learn to grow up and compromise. Even though at the beginning of the novel she is already married, and personally I think people should know how to compromise. Part of my feelings on this may be the fact that I'm hormonal right now, but I don't think this is a book I'd ever read again. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I had been wanting to pick this book up for a while. I'm not a die-hard chick lit fan and I had read some terrible reviews of Giffin's other books (Something borrowed and Something blue, etc.) but really wanted to give this one a go as the theme hits pretty close to home. I found myself immediately liking the heroine and narrator, Claudia. She came off as being very level-headed with admirable ethics and convictions. Her reasoning for not wanting children was very sound and she wasn't at all painted as the cold-hearted child hater that society typically assumes women are when they are child-free by choice (CFBC). Claudia has close relationships with her sisters and female friends, each of whom has some kind of child-related dilemma--her eldest sister stayed in a terrible marriage for her children but has had enough of her husband's cheating; her other sister has been trying to conceive for ages and finds out her eggs are too old and then there's her best friend who accidentally got pregnant on purpose while sleeping with a married man because she realized she wants children more than a stable relationship. Throughout their troubles, Claudia is often the voice of reason, offering sisterly support and advice. We also see her spend time with her niece and she explains how much she enjoys baby-sitting her, but doesn't feel she could be capable as a mother. When Claudia and her husband Ben divorced early on in the novel, I had a lot of sympathy for Claudia, but I admired her for dong it. Her husband, who claimed to be CFBC when they met, changed his mind when their close mutual friends announced they were pregnant. He insisted they could compromise on only having only one child and from Claudia's perspective, seemed to constantly harass her about having children and had his family on his side to pressure her as well. I was impressed that she stood up for what she believed in, not caving in to his wishes and gave him an ultimatum: marriage to her or a child. His decision however brought on a lot of heartbreak. Even finding herself in the arms (and bed) of a seemingly perfect man couldn't quelch the pain and longing she felt for her husband. As a side note, I really wish the book wasn't written in the first-person perspective, just so we could have better understood Ben's change of heart. Was he more of a fence-sitter and agreed to be child-free, but had all along secretly wanted a baby? Or did he really just do a one-eighty on Claudia? As the book nears its climax, Claudia realizes she misses Ben so much, she would be willing to have a child to get her husband back. On the one hand, I believe she does love him this much, but on the other, I can't believe she would cave after all this time. Having a child is a HUGE decision and she just decides all of a sudden she'd be willing to do it to make him happy. This seems to me like a pretty crappy reason to procreate. (I was annoyed, but decided to keep reading...) We soon learn, however, that Ben's new fling--a lean, blonde, young and fertile doctor-- is wearing an engagement ring. After much wallowing and depression, Claudia decides to face him in person and plead her case, offering up her uterus as a dowry for them to get back together. The sitcom cliche of miscommunication is the quick and easy wrap-up to the story that Giffin chose to utilize. All of the couples in the book have happy endings, despite Claudia explaining to her niece earlier that not all stories have happy endings. While Claudia offered to have a baby, Ben said he didn't need one as long as he could have her back. Yet after a month of reconciliation, neither of them will address the elephant in the room and the reader has no closure as to whether or not they spawned. The ending was way too quick and tidy, with no real answers or decisions. Thank God this was a really fast read, otherwise I'd be a lot more disappointed to have wasted my time on this novel. I definitely won't be reading any of her other books
  LoveOfMuffins4820 | Mar 23, 2015 |
For my father, with gratitude
I never wanted to be a mother.

A novel that explores the question: Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love?

Claudia Parr has everything going for her. A successful editor at a publishing house in Manhattan, she's also a devoted sister, aunt, and friend. Yet she's never wanted to become a mother--which she discovers is a major hurdle to marriage, something she desperately wants. Then she meets her soul mate Ben who, miraculously, feels the same way about parenthood. The two fall in love and marry, committed to one another and their life of adventure and discovery. All's well until one of them has a change of heart. Someone wants a baby after all.

This is the witty, heartfelt story about what happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things and there is no compromise. It's about deciding what is most important in life and wagering everything to get it. And most of all, it's about the things we will--and won't--do for love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:11 -0400)

Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love? What happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things? First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes--a baby carriage. Isn't that what all women want? Not so for Claudia Parr. And just as she gives up on finding a man who feels the same way, she meets warm, wonderful Ben. Things seem too good to be true when they fall in love and agree to buck tradition with a satisfying, child-free marriage. Then the unexpected occurs: one of them has a change of heart. One of them wants children after all.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,097,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible