Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

Baby Proof

by Emily Giffin

Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love? What happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things? First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes--a baby carriage. Isn't that what all women want? Not so for Claudia Parr. And just as she gives up on finding a man who feels the same way, she meets warm, wonderful Ben. Things seem too good to be true when they fall in love and agree to buck tradition with a satisfying, child-free marriage. Then the unexpected occurs: one of them has a change of heart. One of them wants children after all.--From publisher description.… (more)
    Ask Again Later by Jill A. Davis (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: both chick lit, kind of coming of age stories about 30(ish) year old women. Ask Again Later has less story but is funnier than Baby Proof.

English (55)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (58)
Rant-y review coming. This hit a bit too close to home. ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |

The plot is completely unbelievable - are we supposed to believe the so called perfect couple gets divorced after what seems to be about 2 weeks of arguing about having a baby? Then is it possible that most of the people around the wife are having child issues (kids keeping someone in a bad marriage, not being able to conceive, conceiving with a married boyfriend) at the same time? It's insulting to the readers intelligence... and that is what makes it the perfect beach read. If that is what you're looking for, pick it up. If not, run for the hills.
  LivingReflections | Dec 2, 2018 |
Another wonderful book from Ms. Giffin. I loved the characters and the storyline. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Actually quite bored with this one. I mean, it's interesting enough but seems so predictable. Typical "woman holds steadfast to her convictions until the thing she wants the most gets away" type of book. I'm not a quitter so I will finish it but I don't hold out high hopes.

And...I was right!! Spoiler alert. She sort of caves in the end. The book takes us through variations of women's issues with motherhood; from the subject of the book who doesn't want kids, to her sister who stays in a lousy relationship because she has kids, to the other sister who is in an absolutely amazing and loving marriage but can't have kids. This alone would have been enough, had the main character stuck to her convictions. It is an interesting read if you are looking for a light, easy, predictable summer book. ( )
  rsalley76 | Mar 13, 2018 |
I am starting to really appreciate and like how Emily creates characters. She takes this attributes that people normally aren't so crazy about and puts them on a face that we can almost relate to. Hopefully, that makes sense. In Baby Proof Emily introduces us to Claudia, a woman who has never wanted to be a mother and whose marriage ends because of that conviction. Normally a woman like this would be someone I would see as an alien with three heads. How could you not want to be a mother? Especially when you in particular have so many valuable things to contribute to a child's life? By the end though I really felt like I could relate to her and slightly understand where she was coming from.

Now for the actual writing. Some moments of the story felt really rushed and kind of unbelievable. Her marriage really ends just that suddenly? Come on!

This isn't my favorite of Giffin's novels, but I still do like it. I'm excited for her future work, but wonder what will happen when she runs out of such taboo topics. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
For my father, with gratitude
I never wanted to be a mother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,511,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible