Baby Proof

by Emily Giffin

Is there ever a deal-breaker when it comes to true love? What happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things? First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes--a baby carriage. Isn't that what all women want? Not so for Claudia Parr. And just as she gives up on finding a man who feels the same way, she meets warm, wonderful Ben. Things seem too good to be true when they fall in love and agree to buck tradition with a satisfying, child-free marriage. Then the unexpected occurs: one of them has a change of heart. One of them wants children after all.--From publisher description.… (more)
    Ask Again Later by Jill A. Davis (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: both chick lit, kind of coming of age stories about 30(ish) year old women. Ask Again Later has less story but is funnier than Baby Proof.

English (56)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (59)
This book attempted to explore difficult relationship issues. Liked the thinking that Claudia went through. Making the decision to have a childless marriage even after loving being with her niece Zoey. Amazing that she stood her ground of getting divorced, also how quickly. Good conversation about whether to use her eggs for her sister to have a child, unrealistic situation caused solution for sister about a baby. Drawbacks: only dating one unmarrying type guy and Claudia wants exhusband back even if a compromise has not been worked out. Typical chic lit ending rather than reality. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Rant-y review coming. This hit a bit too close to home. ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |

The plot is completely unbelievable - are we supposed to believe the so called perfect couple gets divorced after what seems to be about 2 weeks of arguing about having a baby? Then is it possible that most of the people around the wife are having child issues (kids keeping someone in a bad marriage, not being able to conceive, conceiving with a married boyfriend) at the same time? It's insulting to the readers intelligence... and that is what makes it the perfect beach read. If that is what you're looking for, pick it up. If not, run for the hills.
  LivingReflections | Dec 2, 2018 |
Another wonderful book from Ms. Giffin. I loved the characters and the storyline. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Actually quite bored with this one. I mean, it's interesting enough but seems so predictable. Typical "woman holds steadfast to her convictions until the thing she wants the most gets away" type of book. I'm not a quitter so I will finish it but I don't hold out high hopes.

And...I was right!! Spoiler alert. She sort of caves in the end. The book takes us through variations of women's issues with motherhood; from the subject of the book who doesn't want kids, to her sister who stays in a lousy relationship because she has kids, to the other sister who is in an absolutely amazing and loving marriage but can't have kids. This alone would have been enough, had the main character stuck to her convictions. It is an interesting read if you are looking for a light, easy, predictable summer book. ( )
  rsalley76 | Mar 13, 2018 |
For my father, with gratitude
I never wanted to be a mother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,698,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible