Phone Call with a Fish by Silvia Vecchini

Phone Call with a Fish

by Silvia Vecchini

1910762,277 (4.09)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Love all the blue and the aim to get to know someone, despite the challenges that may get in the way. Great story to spark a larger discussion on ability, friendship, and difference. Thanks for the free copy, I'll be using it soon. ( )
  KCMartens | Oct 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fantastic book about a girl who connect with her shy classmate. This book touches gently on the subject of shyness. With wonderful illustrations, in a unique color pallet this book is delightful in a quite sort of way. I think that was done on purpose, a book about a shy boy who won't talk in class shouldn't feel loud. I loved the way the story doesn't force the boy to "come out of his shell" or to discover that he's not shy, it allows him to be himself while his classmate slowly earns his trust and friendship. Shyness might not be something we think of when we think diversity or disability, but I couldn't help thinking that this book is great for helping kids to learn empathy for differences. ( )
  Rosenectur | Oct 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Translated from Italian, Silvia Vecchini"s Phone Call With a Fish, is a wonderful story about a little boy who doesn't talk in school and the classmate who tries to find a way to communicate with him. This is a great book for one on one time or for storytime. ( )
  bah195 | Sep 21, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Picture books about children learning to not only accept differences in others, but embrace them, will always be important for young readers. Phone Call with a Fish goes a step further and has the character telling you the story go out of her way to connect with a boy who has a hard time communicating. It's implied that he has something like selective mutism, but she doesn't judge or push him into opening up; instead she seeks to understand him first, and lets the boy reach out to her when he's ready.

The illustrations throughout are not that great, which is a shame because I thought the cover was amazing; on one hand the character design is uninspired, but on the other I love the limited color palette. ( )
  alliepascal | Sep 16, 2018 |
This is a charming story about a little boy who won’t talk in school, and a little girl who tries to draw him out of his shell. She herself loves to talk. She says: "Talking is like breathing."

Some kids bully the boy, but this girl doesn’t abandon her efforts to befriend him; she thinks he is missing out on a whole realm of life that brings enjoyment. One day when their class visits a science museum, she sees an aquarium with a telephone inside, and brings the boy, still wordless, over to listen. Later, she got a phone call from the boy. “Hi, it’s me,” she hears, to her astonishment.

The illustrations are by Sualzo, which is the name used by the artist Antonio Vincenti, and who is married to the author. His color palette reflects the aquarium theme, and the figures, which are cartoon like, are perfect for the intended age range for this book (4 to 8 years old).

Evaluation: This book will encourage children to reach out to others; who knows where one might find new friends? Most of the story is told through the cute, quirky pictures, which will make it easier for early readers. ( )
  nbmars | Sep 15, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Silvia Vecchini's book Phone Call With a Fish is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,214,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible