Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter and…

by Gretchen Rubin (Author)

206698,480 (3.49)5
"With clarity and humor, bestselling author of The Four Tendencies and The Happiness Project Gretchen Rubin illuminates one of her key realizations about happiness: For most of us, outer order contributes to inner calm. And for most of us, a rigid, one-size-fits-all solution doesn't work. In this easy-to-read but hard-to-put-down book, Gretchen Rubin suggests more than 150 short, concrete clutter-clearing ideas so each reader can choose the ones that resonate most. The fact is, when we tailor our approach to suit our own particular challenges and habits, we're far more likely to be able to create the order that will make our lives happier, healthier, more productive, and more creative. In the context of a happy life, a messy desk or crowded coat closet is a trivial problem--yet Gretchen Rubin has found that getting control of our stuff makes us feel more in control of our lives. By getting rid of things we don't use, don't need, or don't love, as well as things that don't work, don't fit, or don't suit, we free our mind (and our shelves) for what we truly value. In this trim book filled with insights, strategies, and sometimes surprising tips, Gretchen tackles the key challenges of creating outer order, by explaining how to "Make Choices," "Create Order," "Know Yourself--and Others," "Cultivate Helpful Habits," and, of course, "Add Beauty." At home, at work, and in life, when we get our possessions under control we feel both calmer and more energetic. With a sense of fun, and also a clear idea of what's realistic for most people, Gretchen Rubin suggests dozens of manageable steps for creating a more serene, orderly environment--one that helps us to create the lives we yearn for"--… (more)
Member:Merlyn_MacLeod
Title:Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter and Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
Authors:Gretchen Rubin (Author)
Info:Harmony (2019), 239 pages
Collections:Organizing/Decluttering, Self-Help

Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter and Organize to Make More Room for Happiness by Gretchen Rubin

This certainly wasn’t as innovative or as groundbreaking as Rubin’s other books, but there were still some good ideas in it. And she always talks about how much of a thrill she gets by decluttering on her podcast, so I’m glad she got to write this and follow that passion. But...I listened to the audio version of this, so that may be why I felt like it was a little more disorganized and rambling than her norm. It felt like somebody calmly telling you a bunch of things to try for decluttering. Not necessarily a how-two, but just a collection of somewhat random ideas. This wasn’t as helpful to me as other declutter books or Rubin’s other books, but I am still a fan and will read any of her future books as long as they’re not in this same vein. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
I LOVE this book! If you need inspiration to get your mind clear and your environment organized this is the book for you. ( )
  ladyofliterature | Jan 9, 2020 |
Loved this book. It was broken down into easy to read pages that were laid out beautifully. So much of Gretchen's advice hit home. Now I just need to make time to go through her suggestions to actually clean out my home and create some outer order so I can have more inner calm. There were also a bunch of little nuggets that are so easy to implement. ( )
  christinegrabowski | Jun 26, 2019 |
Writing: 4.0; Theme: 5.0; Content: 5.0; Language: 5.0; Overall: 5.0; This is one of the best books I have read on the topic of decluttering and organizing your life (and more so, things in your life). Mrs. Rubin shares some wonderful ideas on how individuals can have a happier life by simply organizing their lives. The reason why I so highly regard this book is because the author doesn't just tell you to "get rid of stuff," but she seems to understand that "things" do have meaning for people. She gives three simple questions to ask in order to decide what to keep and what to discard: Is it needed? Is it useful? Is it loved? She leaves it up to her readership on how each person answers these questions. Highly recommend. ***June 18, 2019*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Jun 19, 2019 |
Not really a book but more a collection of thoughts. Some were useful but much not.
  amyem58 | Mar 18, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,540,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible