The Cynic in Extremis by Jacob M. Appel

The Cynic in Extremis

by Jacob M. Appel

A collection of 43 poems that make you think. A good mixture of some deep, some profound, some horrific and some quite humourous verses. Being based around everyday people it would appeal to all, although it is not your average poetry book. It is definitely not all flowers and skies but more punchy and jarring.
However each one is beautifully written with great detail and attention making it a very entertaining read. ( )
  Lin_K | Mar 21, 2019 |
Many thanks to author, as I recieved this book as part of a giveaway. This is an honest review.

Although I am not usually a poetry fan, this book appears to be an exception. Appel manages to capture the reader and express emotions in short powerful stanzas.

I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  cryczak232 | Feb 1, 2019 |
It's been a while since I came across a compilation of poems actually enjoyable and well-written, especially in a time where "social media" poetry and "writers" run amock, poorly constructed lines to resemble the mere aesthetic of poetry. This is the first work of Appel's I have read as of yet but shall surely check out more after this.
Themes of loss and regret are two particular ones that really stand out amongst the various poems, although ever so often there is a tinge of hope and a ray of positivity that palatably counterbalances the darker undertones. The poems deal with ordinary situations and settings, focusing on the narrating voice's perspectives and thoughts, often passive yet colouring the entire incident with a personal palette. All of these voices are quite innately human, hence allowing Appel's audience to really step inside the shoes of the "narrator, " and feel the emotions so vividly portrayed.
In addition, Appel excels at creating connections and introducing unexpected elements that, in a quick second, alter the entire context and interpretation of the poem. He manages to lend his poems a sense of depth that mainstream poetry today seems to lack more often than not.
All in all, a well-written set of poems that proves extremely enjoyable and refreshing. I'd go as far as to call it a must-read for any poetry aficionados out there. ( )
  StanDW | Jan 26, 2019 |
This book was an awesome poem book! it had poems that you can honestly relate to. Some were sad some were happy poems but overall I enjoyed the book! so glad I was able to win it in the giveaway.
  Cyn74 | Jan 25, 2019 |
Enjoyable poetry with a definitive sense of place and person. And that cover is just adorable. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Dec 30, 2018 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book The Cynic in Extremis is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,130,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible