As the Tide Comes In: A Novel by Cindy…

As the Tide Comes In: A Novel

by Cindy Woodsmall

"A New York Times best-selling author releases her first southern novel, a Steel Magnolias-meets-Sweet Home Alabama story set on St. Simons Island. After losing two loved ones in a devastating tornado and suffering a head injury, Tara Abbott flees to St. Simons Island, where her disorientation causes the lines between imagination and reality, past and present to blur. There she encounters island residents Julep Burnside, Luella Ward, Sue Beth Manning, and Dell Calhoun--The Glynn Girls--who have been friends since Bible camp, forty years earlier. When Julep's son Gavin identifies a troubled soul in need of help, can the Glynn Girls guide Tara back to herself?"--… (more)

Some reviews seem to write themselves — a quick summary of likes and dislikes, with a nod to setting and characters and faith elements. Others, not so much. This is one of those times when the words I pen just don’t seem to do the book justice. As The Tide Comes In is the second collaborative novel from best-selling author Cindy Woodsmall and her daughter-in-law, Erin Woodsmall. Cindy Woodsmall is known for her unique take on the Amish. She is a big favorite of my book club and the only author of Amish fiction we read as a group. But this novel is a big departure from her writing roots. I don’t know how the partnership between these two authors is set up since the writing is seamless, but it sure does work! This book is part Southern women’s lit, part romance, part mystery, but definitely wholly great! I highly recommend As The Tide Comes In.

Tara Abbott has faced a lot of struggles in her life. From abandonment as a very young child, to a life spent in the foster care system, to being the sole caretaker of younger half-brothers, Tara has had to dig deep within herself to carry on. In the blink of an eye everything changes, and Tara is left lost and confused and far away from all she knows about herself and God. I am amazed at how well the authors portrayed Tara’s character. They got everything right. Emotional, spiritual, and physical responses are masterfully depicted. Other characters could have become stereotypes, but were also well-drawn and given a convincing complexity. The setting of the novel is St. Simon’s Island, a place I have visited a few times. As The Tide Comes In brought back vivid memories of this wonderful place in the Golden Isles. There are a lot of hard things in this book. So hard, I wasn’t sure I would be able to get through it. But even in the blackest of events the authors shared glimmers of hope and joy. There are also a lot of things to talk about, but perhaps the thing that touched me the most was the idea of living a life as a vessel of love. What a wonderful way to describe the relationship between God and His people and our joint roles in reaching a hurting world.

Should you read As The Time Comes In? Oh YES!! I also think you should read it with a friend or group of friends. Trust me. You are going to want to discuss this book.

Highly Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to Waterbrook/Multnomah for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Aug 29, 2018 |
I have not read any of the authors books prior to As The Tide Comes In, BUT now I will be adding them to my reading pile. Tara Abbott, the main character, will capture your heart from the very beginning. She’s a fighter, adventurous, courageous and loving. Despite her circumstances or what is put in her path, she keeps trudging on. The stories backdrop begins in the mountains of Georgia and picks up on St. Simon’s Island in North Carolina alongside the ocean. You will experience a full range of emotions from anger to grief, laughter to love. It delivers on them all while beautifully weaving a story that you feel as though you are right in the middle of. And once you meet the supporting characters the Glynn Girls (just think Golden Girls) and the charming, patient hero Gavin, you will not be able to put this book down. Oh how I want to meet the Glynn Girl’s on St. Simon’s Island! They put a twist of comedy to lighten the grief and sorrow Tara is feeling from loss of her family and physical pain from a head injury. That is the only detail I will unveil. You need to ride the wave of emotions for yourself that this book delivers with a punch. You will not be left with sadness but filled with joy and wisdom along the way. This is a book you will want to add to your reading list!

*Thank you to NetGalley & WaterBrook & Multnomah for my copy of this e-book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.* ( )
  coastandanchor | Aug 29, 2018 |
As the Tide Comes In is the newest Christian novel by Cindy Woodsmall. Tara Abbott lives in Sylva, Georgia where she has raised her two stepbrothers since she was eighteen years old. Sean and Darryl will be heading off to college in the fall and the three of them are going to visit St. Simons Island during the summer. While Tara is out running in the woods, a devastating tornado strikes. Tara loses both of her siblings and suffers a head injury. While in the hospital, Tara has a dream where the boys tell her to go to St. Simons Island. Despite her friends concerns, Tara heads for the island. Unfortunately, Tara becomes confused, disoriented, and ill. She gets rescued by Gavin Burnside and his four mothers’, The Glynn Girls. Can they help Tara recover and find her place? Gavin and The Glynn Girls are having a tough time themselves. Gavin’s father died leaving behind a mess for them to clean up. They have a balloon payment coming due and only one resource. While Gavin is reluctant to use it, they have no choice. Join Tara, Gavin, and The Glynn Girls on their journey in As the Tide Comes In.

As the Tide Comes In is Cindy Woodsmall’s first non-Amish, full-length book and she did not disappoint with this heartfelt narrative. As the Tide Comes In is a well-written and engaging novel. The pace is steady throughout with smooth transitions as the point-of-view switches between characters. The author created realistic characters with Tara and Gavin who are going through true-to-life situations. I was delighted with the quirky The Glynn Girls. Julep, Luella, Sue Beth and Dell are the four ladies who make up The Glynn Girls. Julep is Gavin’s mother, but all four ladies helped to raise him (and still mother him). The four of them have a strong friendship that helps them get through the good and, most especially, the bad times. The Glynn Girls add levity and lightness to As the Tide Comes In. I especially enjoyed watching the romance bloom between Luella and Charles McKenzie. There are beautiful descriptions of the island and the vistas Tara experiences when she is rock climbing. As the Tide Comes In a story of hope, love, grief, heartbreak, joy and faith. It is important to never to lose sight of the fact that God is always with us. It is hard to remember when we are stricken with sadness, grief, or despair. We need to let ourselves mourn the loss of a loved one, but then it comes time to move forward with our lives (though we will never forget our loved one). We need to remember the happy times and find ways to help others. I found As the Tide Comes In to be an emotional, heartfelt novel. You will need to have a box of tissues nearby. There is some predictably to the story, but it did stop me from having a pleasurable reading experience. I am rating As the Tide Comes In 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it). You will not want to miss out on Cindy Woodsmall’s poignant novel As the Tide Comes In. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Aug 22, 2018 |
Tara Abbott had lived a hard life, abandoned by her addicted mother and placed in foster care at a young age with only a painting from someone she once called Nana, but no longer remembered, to link her to her past. As a high schooler she met her two younger half-brothers, but saw them only that one time with their paternal grandmother. While she loved her two best friends, her roommates that became like sisters while in foster care, Tara missed being loved by family, missed having roots. So when, after graduating high school, she learned that her brothers' grandmother was dying and that they were likely destined to be separated and placed in foster care, Tara felt compelled to raise them as her own in the mountains of North Carolina.
Gavin Burnside, the man with four mamas, well one biological mama and her three best friends, is a firefighter with a problem. His dad had died in a fireworks accident that resulted in a personal injury lawsuit that caused the financial hole Gavin and his real mama found themselves in. There was only one possible way to pull themselves out, the dismantling and selling of an historical home on St. Simons Island, Georgia, an act that would have been legal if they'd only had a few more days to wait.
Cindy and Erin Woodsmall make the most of the grandeur of the mountain and beach settings in this story. They have placed unique, lovable characters in each, and orchestrated a story line that plunges the readers into the depths of grief and raises them into the heights of victory. This book itself is a vessel of love.
I highly recommend As the Tide Comes In. It is an equally great vacation read and rainy weekend read, and is equally filled with lighthearted goodness and deep, thoughtful lessons. I thank NetGalley and Waterbrook & Multnomah for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review and received no monetary compensation. ( )
  claudia.castenir | Aug 21, 2018 |
The author has given us a story of hope and survival, but with my heart in my throat, this is a story of life and faith in God.
There is so much heart ache here, and yet I found I didn’t want to put the book down, it kept drawing me in. I found my emotions at a fever pitch, and wanting to be able to change the past. In the end, you will find yourself holding your love one’s closer.
Is it a coincidence that Tara ends up on St. Simon’s Island, and I loved the way the author’s mind worked to bring her here?
This book will be lingering with you long after that final page is turned, and I loved how the book concluded.

I received this book through the Publisher Waterbrook, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Aug 21, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,345,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible