dismiss

Jane Eyre (1847)

by Charlotte Brontë

47,30576217 (4.23)7 / 2756
In early nineteenth-century England, an orphaned young woman accepts employment as a governess and soon finds herself in love with her employer who has a terrible secret.
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces, JenniferLivingstone)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Jane, the Fox, and Me by Fanny Britt (JenniferLivingstone)
    JenniferLivingstone: If you're a fan of Jane Eyre, you might enjoy the children's book Jane, the Fox, and Me. It's a sweet story about a young girl who has trouble with bullying and self-esteem - and who is able to find comfort from the book Jane Eyre. Highly, highly recommended.… (more)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon (MissBrangwen)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre

Europe (266)
Romans (11)
1840s (1)

English (718)  Spanish (14)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (761)
This book has several illustrations of the terrible effects of keeping secrets. Here are a few:
- Mrs. Reed concealing from Jane that she has relatives who care about her. (Spiteful)
- Mr. Rochester concealing that he is married led to a lot of suffering for him and for Jane.
- Jane concealing her identity when she fled delayed her getting good news for 4 months.

I was delightedly impressed with the integrity, the strength of character that Jane Eyre exhibited. She was at times frank in her assessments, and stalwart in being true to her values. That made the book for me.

As I began to read, it reminded me of Fanny Price in [b:Mansfield Park|45032|Mansfield Park|Jane Austen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309203298s/45032.jpg|2722329]. They both were in a household of relatives who (to put it politely) were unkind. Now to read [b:Vanity Fair|5797|Vanity Fair|William Makepeace Thackeray|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1344386439s/5797.jpg|1057468], but probably not this week. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
I have always wanted to read this classic especially because there have been so many movies made about this book.

Written by Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre is written in the first person. Jane herself tells the readers the story of her life from childhood until she is eventually married.

Right away readers will feel for Jane. Orphaned at a young age, her uncle and his wife raise her. However, when Jane's uncle dies, she is left at the mercy of her aunt who despises her and her cousins who either ignore and beat her. Through it all Jane is constantly told that since she is poor, plain, and not plump (apparently being fat was a good thing back then) that she should be glad for every little thing that comes her way and just deal with it when she is abused.

We do get to see Jane's constant belief in herself and what is being done to her is not right. I positively cheered a few times when Jane talked back to her aunt, Mrs. Reed.

The story then follows Jane to a horrible institution she is sent off to where she meets her friend Helen. At Lockwood Institution we have Jane learning more about forgiveness and God. I think that since Helen was a very religious person, Jane started to realize that walking around with constant anger and hate towards her aunt, her cousin, and Mr. Brocklehurst (he ran the Institution) was not something that she should continue to do. That letting all of those people take up space in her head and her heart was ultimately hurting her. So we do get a more mature Jane when she eventually leaves the Institution as a governess for Thornfield Hall.

At Thornfield, readers get to know the dark and dashing Mr. Rochester (what can I say, I like my men sarcastic) and she starts to slowly fall in love with him.

We get to read more about Jane's everyday life as the governess of a small girl that Mr. Rochester has taken in to raise. Jane's interactions with the young Adele, Mrs. Rochester, and other servants at Thornfield Hall feels like a dream at times when Jane describes it. She also has an unsettling feeling of being watched and feels as if the house holds a secret.

Eventually Jane leaves Thornfield Hall and comes upon the home of Diana and Mary Rivers. She also gets to know their brother St. John. Jane starts teaching at a local school and grows closer to St. John.

Readers are told throughout the story that Jane finds out that she has a uncle living. Eventually the man passes and leaves her his fortune. Jane in one day is happily an heiress. Straining the credibility meter a bit though is when Jane finds out that Diana, Mary, and St. John are her first cousins. She decides to equally split the money she is left among the four of them and happily retires from the school to go and live with Diana and Mary.

St. John eventually decides that he is off to India to do missionary work and then proceeds to browbeat Jane into accepting him as her husband so they can go to India together and save other people's souls. St. John I found reminds me of many men who use religion to try to sway a woman to do what they think is best. I didn't care for his character at all and was very glad to see the back of him after he took himself off to perform missionary work, but not until after he pretty much told Jane she was going to burn in hell forever. Seriously. That happened.

Eventually we have Jane take herself back to Thornfield Hall after she hears Mr. Rochester's voice in her head just when she was about to agree to become St. John's wife.

I thought the writing was extraordinary. I found myself looking up a lot of words (got to love having a dictionary built in to your reading device) and just loved how certain words evoked images in my head.

This book quickly sucks you in and you can clearly see Jane through the ages as a child, pre-teen, and then young adult.

I could picture Lockwood as well and it seemed to me, to be a barren place until Spring and Summer. Reading about Jane's descriptions of Thornfield was also wonderful since I imagined a giant home with nooks and crannies all over.

I will say that at times things felt a bit over long. This book has a great deal of religion mixed in it as well. The flow is a bit off here and there, not enough to slow down your reading, but once again I think that since some of the chapters were a bit too long it did hamper the flow.

The ending I thought was wonderful. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I thought for certain I was going to give this book five stars for the first 4/5ths of the story. I thought the characters and events were well drawn and believable, and the struggles were ones I could identify with. I liked that the characters had flaws.

The actual ending is rather satisfying, but just before the ending most of Jane's worldly problems are solved by a sudden inheritance of a fortune from an uncle she never met, and its discovered that the kind strangers who have taken her in are, in fact, her long lost relatives. This double bit of amazing good fortune wipes out the best parts of the book, the story of Jane struggling to make her own way in the world, independent of others.

Despite this gripe, I thought this was the best love story I've read from this era. I've already been recommending this book to friends. ( )
  James_Maxey | Jun 29, 2020 |
Reader, I finished it.

So I do believe Jane was kickass (although Pious-with a capital 'p') and that the book could feel stilted and drag at times. I feel like Rochester could be a prick, but we all know I get falling for that intensity.

Classics will always be easy to object to on the basis of the time we read them in-but the elements remain timeless even if tiny details are not.

So yes, I finished it. For the second time in my life. I enjoyed it even, particularly the first and last parts which flowed nicely. However, I doubt I'll revisit it in my lifetime. (I enjoyed Thandie Newton's performance for the portions I listened to) ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Trapped in a red room
or locked up in the attic
the ladies can't win. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre (Readable Classics) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,748,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible