Jane Eyre (1847)

by Charlotte Brontë

40,39068716 (4.23)7 / 2507
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Anonymous user)
    The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey (BookshelfMonstrosity, KatherineGregg)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Flight of Gemma Hardy is an updated version of Jane Eyre, set in mid-20th-century Scotland. Read the original to get a fuller understanding of Gemma's choices.
    KatherineGregg: Set in the 1960s, The Flight of Gemma Hardy is Livesey's tribute to Jane Eyre.

Romans (11)
1840s (1)

English (650)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  All (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (1)  All (684)
One of my favorite classic books of all time – if not my favorite – is Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. So, I think when I first read its cousin Jane Eyre, I thought it very light in comparison, for Wuthering Heights is a dark, Gothic romance set in the eerie moors. The lightness of Jane Eyre is not a bad thing, but my opinion of it has always been tainted by my extreme love for its slightly older book-cousin.

However, this book is so much better than I remember!

Originally published on October 16, 1847, Jane Eyre tells the well-known bildungsroman of our heroine, Jane Eyre: as she grows from a young girl under the care of her cruel aunt, to a student at a boarding school where she is later a teacher, to a governess for the young charge of Mr. Rochester. There are so many themes in this book, from class disparity to women’s rights to poverty vs. wealth to religion to the diagnosis and treatment of mental health. It is a bold novel with a main character who is similarly bold, strong-willed, intelligent, and female.

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will, which I now exert to leave you.”

I loved Jane’s character. She was naïve yet intelligent, poor yet moral, female yet independent. And oh. so. snarky. (especially to St. John, not that he didn’t deserve it!) Jane was modern for a woman of her time, with an inherent love for learning paired with a yearning to be independent and free.

She decides to leave the man she loves because her morals take precedent to her own personal feelings. Instead, she forges her own path to independence and happiness. But, as you know, in the end, she ends up back with Mr. Rochester, who is broken, blind, and crippled. Yet despite this, we are offered hope with Jane’s famous line:

"Reader, I married him."

With this line, we are assured that Jane and Mr. Rochester have their happy endings that they so desperately desire. For Mr. Rochester, he gets a “proper” wife who he loves and who loves him in return. For Jane, she gets the loving family she has always desired, with the freedom to be independent and outspoken.

I know there are critics that often ask, Why does this feminist story have to end with a marriage, doesn’t it take away from the impact of her aspirations of independence?

The short answer? No, it does not. Jane chose to marry because she wanted to marry, end of story.

The long answer? No, it does not. When I took a British Literature course during my undergrad, I had a professor who often said that, during the Victorian Era especially, authors could get away with their female characters being independent, forward-thinking, ambitious, and basically contrary to all the feminine stereotypes of the day as long as the story ended in a marriage. In other words, authors could say whatever they wanted in the beginning and the middle as long as the ending consisted of a marriage for that willful woman as a metaphoric gesture of putting said woman in her “rightful” place. This has always stuck with me, and I think it’s applicable here.

Though, let’s be real, who doesn’t also love a happy ending? And that’s what Jane and Mr. Rochester got. A happy ending.

Pst, check out this review on my blog: Allison's Adventures into Wonderlands!
https://allisonsadventuresintowonderlands.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/charlotte-brontes-jane-eyre/ ( )
  Allison_Krajewski | May 26, 2017 |
I finally made time to read this book. I purchased it years ago and it had been collecting dust (like many of the other classics) until last year when I started reading the Jane Austen novels I had. So I place this book in my classic books to read soon pile in hopes of getting to it. I read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility fairly quickly and had anticipated the same for Jane Eyre. Although, overall I love the book, it still took me longer to get into it then Pride and Prejudice. I remember reading Pride and Prejudice online while bored at work one day and finding myself completely wrapped up in it and when I got home immediately after work I went and searched for my copy of Pride and Prejudice and stayed up all night reading it. I didn't find myself doing the same with Jane Eyre. Like I said above, I love the story and am so glad I finally made the time to read the book because it really is a great story and much more fleshed out compared to the Jane Austen novels.

I've stayed away from the movie adaptations because I knew eventually I wanted to read the book and didn't want to be influenced by the screen versions, whether in a positive or negative way. I have heard of the story and knew about the "secret", as well as the ending, so I wasn't at all surprised. But it was a great story and I look forward to finally watching all the film adaptation of Jane Eyre.

My goal is to continue reading as many classics as I can. I find myself adding more and more classic novels to my list when I read other books that mentions or reference a classic book. My next classic I'd like to read is Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I ashamed to admit this but I became interested in the book is due to Fifty Shades of Grey. The story sounds incredibly interesting when the characters were talking about debasement and young girls not being forewarned about the evil ways of men.

However, I have discovered that I need to space these classics with modern books otherwise I find it hard to get through the books. It mostly has to do with the writing style (since I'm not used to it) and often time the pacing of the books are much more leisurely than what I'm used to with western, modern books. Once I've conquered these "chick" classics, which are relatively short, my next goal will be to conquered the bible thick classics of Les Miserable and the likes of it. Which I find very daunting, because if I don't enjoy the first 100 pages or if I don't find a character to relate to, then I know it'll be a thousand pages of torture as I trudge my way through the book and I'm hoping that's not the case with many of these books. They call it classic for a reason right? It's been beloved and enjoyed for many years and in some cases for centuries so I'd like to see what they're all about. ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
At 57 I realize I've come late to the party. I did not take literature english classes in high school and by the way my friends acted about the classics I had no desire to read them either. For years now I try to add a classic into my choices for the year and this spring after watching a show on PBS on the Bronte sisters I decided it was time to read Jane Eyre. I won't even begin to give a review. I will just say that I love historical novels, the speech used at this time always leaves me feeeling rather proper when I give leave of my book. :) . I learn more about the era that the book takes place in and this is a fun way to learn about history. Some more than likely find this old style writing tedious, but I enjoy it when I am in the mood. Miss Bronte does do a masterful job of keeping the pace up and situations shifting enough to keep you wanting more. I am very happy I chose to read Jane Eyre. I will be on my list of one of my favorite classics! ( )
  theeccentriclady | May 13, 2017 |
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Reader, I love Jane Eyre. It is a gothic coming-of-age classic of a strong and independent woman of integrity.
Jane is not beautiful nor rich. She has flaws and temperaments--not the average heroine. She chooses her values than to justify mistakes or to be blinded of love. She would not be submissive to any man, even to the man she loves, as she knows her principles, self-worth and standing. Most importantly, she believes that it is thoughtless to condemn or laugh at women if they seek to do or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.

Dearest reader, I highly recommend it.

~~***~~~***~~~

I entered a contest :P ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
Now I know why this is a classic. I've never been so fascinated with the mundane life struggles a single woman could face in 19th century England. It held me enthralled throughout and I eagerly anticipated each turn of the plot. ( )
  DaristeiaD | Apr 18, 2017 |
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Dearest reader, I highly recommend it.

Wow, what a story. Fear. Instinct. (mis)Information. I'm not sure what to say except that, not unlike the experiences of protagonist Winston Smith, the weight of the world Orwell creates surrounds and overpowers and, with only slight glimpses of hope along the way, crushes into dust.

Brontë, Charlotteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre (Readable Classics) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,462,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible