Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

by Charlotte Brontë

36,06159617 (4.23)6 / 2053
Romans (11)
Unread books (1,100)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Brontës by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (shesinplainview)
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Anonymous user)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    The Brontë Myth by Lucasta Miller (Wraith_Ravenscroft)

English (565)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (594)
This is the third time I've read the novel and every time I get to the end I'm stunned equally by both the naivete and the genius of Charlotte Bronte. Jayne Eyre is one of the most fully drawn and vivid fictional characters I've ever spent time getting to know. What an amazing, driving narrative voice!

But then there are the other characters, not so successful, in particular, Rochester, a brutish and self-involved misogynist, who along with neglecting to tell Jane he is already married, also 1) threatens to rape her, 2) forces her to watch him flirt with another woman for at least third of the book, 3) dresses up as a gypsy woman to harass his company, and 4) takes sex vacations to Europe whenever his life gets too difficult at Thornfield...to to say nothing of 5) locking his wife in a windowless room for years on end.

But really, it's just a book, and these and other equally implausible events turn out to be the perfect frame for the character of Jane's inner mind to shine so brilliantly. So I can't get too excited about the book's flaws, especially when its triumphs are so complete. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
I read Wuthering Heights in college, loathed it, and promptly wrote off all the Brontes. When I shared that a few months ago, I was encouraged to try Jane Eyre, being assured that it was completely different. "Completely different"? No. It was still overwrought Gothic nonsense with language you sink in up to your ankles. But it was saved by Jane herself, who works against the sentimentality of the plot and Rochester himself, and St. John, who by his very loathesomeness makes Rochester seem a viable option. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
I cannot believe I graduated high school without reading this book! I knew enough of it to know that life wasn't going to work smoothly for Jane and Mr. Rochester.

The first two phases of her life I found interesting. No spoiler alerts here. The middle section, her life after she cam into Rochester's ken, I found interminable. The last 30% of the book kept my attention.

I am very glad to have read it. ( )
  kaulsu | Jan 7, 2015 |
When Jane Eyre was originally published, it was called Jane Eyre: An Autobiography edited by Currer Bell (Charlotte Brontë’s pen-name), which in itself is a fascinating insight into this classic novel. The idea Charlotte Brontë wanted this to be viewed as an autobiography implies this is more of a social commentary more than a classic gothic novel. This is what I want to focus my review on; what did she want to say about the world when she wrote this book?

Most people know the plot of Jane Eyre, so we can skip that and go right into the analysis. Bildungsroman is the primary genre of Jane Eyre, which is basically a coming of age story that documents the psychological and moral growth of its protagonist, which is interesting because on the surface there doesn’t seem to be much growth for Jane Eyre. Apart from the class struggle; Jane Eyre was an educated orphan who always believed she was low class. She constantly discriminates against herself about her class and this ultimately allows Mr Rochester to be the dominating force he is in their relationship. However it isn’t until Jane has money and returns to find Rochester blind and cripple, that she agree to marry him; what does that say about the social balance?

Though there is a whole idea of independence that plays out within this novel as well. I never thought that Jane Eyre and Mr Rochester had any chemistry and the first proposal was forced upon her. Thankfully it was revealed that Rochester was already married and Jane got out of the position she was in. She had to learn independence and the ability to make decisions for herself. This was tested when St. John (which I discovered is meant to be pronounced together like sin-jun) asked her to marry him.

There is a strong sense of religious morality at the core of Jane Eyre, just look at when St. John proposed to Jane Eyre, it allowed her to played with the idea of a moral decision. There is also an equilibrium between moral duty and earthly happiness that comes into play in this scene. Jane sees John as a brother but he tries to pressure her by implying that it is her Christian duty to marry him and work as a missionary in India. Her refusal to marry him but still travel to India as a missionary was met with disdain. John tries to emotionally blackmail her into marriage using God’s will as ammunition, even though there is no love and would only be a marriage of convenience.

I know I may have asked a few too many questions in this review, but there are some interesting thoughts to be had about Jane Eyre. I am not going to go into how Mr Rochester is the Byronic hero, the gothic themes, or how people should view this book as a Romantic novel and not a romantic book. Personally I think there are interesting elements within this classic book but Charlotte Brontë is my least favourite of all the Brontë sisters. This is the first time reading Jane Eyre and I might read it again at some point; but I hope I offered some interesting insights into the book.

This review originally appeared on my blog; http://literary-exploration.com/2015/01/03/jane-eyre-by-charlotte-bronte/ ( )
  knowledge_lost | Jan 4, 2015 |
I'm using the spoiler thingy for very mild spoilers. So, if you've never read Jane Eyre and want to read it fresh, with no background knowledge, and if you have never heard about any of the major plot points (Is that possible?), you might want to avoid this. Otherwise, it's no big deal.

This was a reread for me (re-listen, actually). I first read it in eighth grade and remember loving it. I loved it this time too, but probably for different reasons.

What to say about a classic that has been so much written about? I suppose I'll just say that I found Jane to be a marvelously admirable (and lovable) character who I thoroughly enjoyed being around. She manages, despite being dealt an awful set of life cards, to remain positive, strong, and practical. At a time when it is unusual for women to value such things, Jane values independence and rational thinking above all else, while still maintaining a wonderful warmth and caring spirit towards other humans. It could be argued that her choice of mate is problematic (and I might agree), but I think, within the confines of the society in which she lives, her choice offers her the most freedom to be herself, which is what I think attracts her to him in the first place. I did dock it half a star, because I found some of the passionate conversations between her and Mr. Rochester to be a bit tedious and melodramatic. I will miss being addressed as "Reader" though. Addressing the audience is a lost art. Overall, a wonderful reading (listening) experience!
  DorsVenabili | Jan 1, 2015 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning; but since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre, and a rain so penetrating, that further out-door exercise was now out of the question.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question - why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of - I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.
Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.

This book is a classic. It has romance, a little adventure, a little comedy, and a little heartbreak. This book was slow at times but it made the important moments of the story better. The unexpected things more entertaining.

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:22 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

12 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441143, 0142005142, 0140366784, 0141028165, 0451530918, 0141037377, 0582506212, 0143106155, 0141197595, 0141198850, 0143123149, 0734306547

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,146,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible