Dzhen Ejr by Sharlotta Bronte

Dzhen Ejr (original 1847; edition 2001)

by Sharlotta Bronte

39,61267416 (4.23)7 / 2374
Member:katemcangus
Title:Dzhen Ejr
Authors:Sharlotta Bronte
Info:Direkt-Media (2001), Paperback

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (shesinplainview)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    The Brontë Myth by Lucasta Miller (Wraith_Ravenscroft)

Romans (11)
1840s (1)
Unread books (1,016)

English (638)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  All (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (1)  All (672)
This book: Something something something beck something stile something lineament. ( )
  debgpi | Dec 4, 2016 |
Excellent book. It's pure, exquisite, elegant literature- with all its characteristic British wit, restraint and grace. Definitely a book to re-read. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Have always meant to reread this; glad I did. Still romantic but as an adult I'm less distracted by the melodramatic plot (still gotta love a crazy lady locked in the attic) and more impressed and entertained by Jane's spunk.

This illustrated version is cooooool, too. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
So yeah, I finished it.
UGH.
I just... I can't with this book.

The first 15 chapters or so are okay; basically just building up on Jane and her life at Gateshead, Lowood, and then Thornfield.. And THEN it gets interesting.

And I mean really interesting.

I've always had soft spots for the male protagonists in olden novels like these (Darcey, Rochester, etc), and I'm betting it's mostly because they're normally portrayed as rich, romantic, and gentlemen-y. I wouldn't say 'handsome', because in Jane Eyre Mr Rochester is described as not exactly fitting the bill as a 'handsome' fellow.

But MY GOD. I've heard of this book and I actually just happened to pick it up at a book fair last year (Big Bad Wolf) just because the synopsis at the back of the book seemed interesting, and I had wanted to get as many books as I could, and hey, it was a period book. I love stories set in those eras.

But I didn't expect to love it as much as I do.

Seriously.

I was over the moon as I came towards the end of Chapter 23, (I actually screamed and kicked around as I read it on my bed; I SHIT YOU NOT) and at the second to last chapter, Chapter 27, I CRIED. I FREAKING SOBBED as I was reading it.

I truly felt Mr Rochester's heartaches, and Jane's hardship. I shipped them so hard (too much Tumblr, so sue me for the language) and, well... to avoid spoilers, let's just say there was a moment where both were so stubborn I felt like reaching in the book and just smashing their heads together. UGHH.

Just like The Last Song, this book will probably leave its effect on me for days after I've finished.

But it's a contented feeling. I finished it with a smile, and a feeling that everything fell into place nicely and that it all worked out as it should. I'm happy with this book.

VERY happy.

A feeling something only being a bibliophile can bring.
Yes, way better than sex.
Unless, of course, it's with Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch.
Or BOTH.
But still.

Next book: Life Without Limits! =D ( )
1 vote KrystleLow | Oct 27, 2016 |
Wooden characters, unnecessarily long descriptive pieces, an unrealistic romance, girl-on-girl hate and a terrible demonisation of mental illness - all in all, not as great as everyone makes it out to be. While I find it's still a book worth reading, and a slightly entertaining read, it doesn't deserve its hype.

Full video review here:

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

11 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441143, 0142005142, 0140366784, 0141028165, 0451530918, 0141037377, 0143106155, 0141197595, 0141198850, 0143123149, 0734306547

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832726, 1907832734

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible