Jane Eyre (Illustrated Junior Library) by…

Jane Eyre (Illustrated Junior Library) (original 1847; edition 1983)

by Charlotte Bronte

43,95772917 (4.23)7 / 2662
Member:Heidi2616
Title:Jane Eyre (Illustrated Junior Library)
Authors:Charlotte Bronte
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1983), Hardcover, 576 pages

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces, JenniferLivingstone)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon (MissBrangwen)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Anonymous user)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.

Romans (11)
1840s (1)

English (689)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (5)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (728)
I'm an old guy. Not so old that I could have dated the author in high school (she was a couple years ahead of me), but still, not exactly the prime audience for this book. So, maybe I should skip a review altogether. And maybe I should add my two-cents for those other old guys out there thinking of reading the book. This is supposed to be a romantic novel, right? A listing I just saw an online poll that says this is the third most popular classic book ever. On the other hand, my ebook reader system doesn't categorize it as "Book", but under "Kids". Why? Because the lead character starts out as a child and ends up as barely an adult? Let me ignore all that and just say I don't think this is a romance. I think it's a book about "What is love?" Plus, it's also about 350 pages too long, attaching the equivalent of a ten page lyric poem to pretty much every look out the window or walk outside. It's also very hung up on "plain" appearances, though that is one aspect of how it assesses what love is. "Is it possible to truly love a plain person?" "Does a plain person deserve love?" ("Can plain people find love and happiness just like regular folks?") Coincidentally, the author makes it easier to conclude an answer to that question by manipulating the narrative to provide a person who can't actually see the plain appearance. It should be mentioned that education and having "culture" is also thrown into the mix. Thankfully, the author seems to relent and conclude that beauty and culture are not absolute requirements for bliss, but nevertheless provide a higher standard of love, so don't pass them up if you can get them. Finally, I want to make a point about the many movies and television shows that have been made about this book and how -- I think -- they have distorted our view of the actual text of the book. For instance, I watched a video summarizing which actor played the best "Rochester". The conclusion was unquestionably, the handsome former James Bond actor, Timothy Dalton. I ask, did anyone even read the book's description of Rochester? There were other videos that compared multiple film versions of one of the first "proposal" scene. While I only viewed about six of the roughly dozen filmed versions available to me, not one of them had the right setting, the means by which the characters come together for the scene, the dialogue, and/or the reactions of the characters to the proposal discussion, as it was set in the actual book. I also watched the very start to about five films. All but two left out the entire first third of the book, with only one starting with the initial scene that sets the tone. My point isn't that a movie must be faithful to a book. My point is that I strongly suspect that what some people remember so fondly in the book was never there to begin with, and that the book simply does not measure up to the films that may be in peoples' minds. ( )
1 vote larryerick | Jan 14, 2019 |
Reader, I finished it.

So I do believe Jane was kickass (although Pious-with a capital 'p') and that the book could feel stilted and drag at times. I feel like Rochester could be a prick, but we all know I get falling for that intensity.

Classics will always be easy to object to on the basis of the time we read them in-but the elements remain timeless even if tiny details are not.

So yes, I finished it. For the second time in my life. I enjoyed it even, particularly the first and last parts which flowed nicely. However, I doubt I'll revisit it in my lifetime. (I enjoyed Thandie Newton's performance for the portions I listened to) ( )
  aMnreader | Jan 13, 2019 |
Jane Eyre is valuable in terms of writing style; it's not necessarily my preferred style, but valuable nonetheless. What is not is the protagonist, who is meant to teach a valuable lesson in feminism, but...falls flat. Also hard to like, with a constant self-pitying tone. Really, if I'm going to read Victorian romance, I'd take Austen any day. ( )
  thepentheink | Jan 8, 2019 |
A atriz Lily Cole , recentemente, comentou ter achado este romance, uma história de parentes postiços, crueldade, loucura, bigamia e uma heroína sem-teto, ¨com gosto de caixa de chocolate" . Bem, adoro bombons de chocolate com recheio de licor amargo... E a mesma boutade valeria para Charles Dickens, p.ex., não?... Ora, em matéria dickensiana, sabe bem o travo doce-amargo de Tempos Difíceis, A Casa Soturna, Grandes esperanças, As Aventuras do Sr Pickwick, Conto de Natal, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby e em menor escala dos outros romances.
  jgcorrea | Jan 1, 2019 |
I don't understand why this book is considered to be a classic-- not at all. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 24, 2018 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre (Readable Classics) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,628,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible