Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Jane Eyre (1847)

by Charlotte Bronte (Author)

34,756None17 (4.24)6 / 1886
Member:jlwagner13
Title:Jane Eyre
Authors:Charlotte Bronte (Author)
Info:Barnes & Noble edition
Rating:*****
Tags:Literature, England, 19th Century

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)

1001 (135) 1001 books (147) 19th century (1,046) British (558) British literature (541) Bronte (365) Charlotte Bronte (176) classic (2,157) classic fiction (183) Classic Literature (227) classics (1,636) England (614) English (272) English literature (509) favorite (132) fiction (4,056) gothic (616) governess (359) historical fiction (146) literature (871) love (252) novel (684) orphans (191) own (245) read (489) romance (1,152) to-read (290) unread (152) Victorian (513) women (174)
Unread books (1,043)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    The Brontës by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (shesinplainview)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Anonymous user)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    The Brontë Myth by Lucasta Miller (Wraith_Ravenscroft)

English (537)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (564)
I've loved Jane Eyre since I was a schoolgirl and enjoyed listening to Ms. Gibson's narration. Jane's loyalty, intelligence, and honor I still admire. Mr. Rochester's reasoning about what he wanted most still does not convince. Now that I'm older, though, I consider St. John Rivers a verbally abusive man who needed to study the thirteenth chapter of First Corinthians and what it has to say about not having love. Since he's a fictional character, I can amuse myself by imagining that when he did meet his Maker, he was told he was a real jerk to Jane. I do not blame her at all for the way she treated him except for being too deferential and too willing to consider him a good man. The rather mild anti-Catholic strain I can wave off, ground as it is in obvious ignorance. ( )
  JalenV | Apr 17, 2014 |
Admittedly, seeing "spooky" snapshots of various Jane Eyre films made me reluctant to read this novel for years, but when I finally took the plunge, the book didn't feel quite as spooky and dark as the film snapshots looked. (I had the same feeling when I finally read Northanger Abbey after years of avoiding it, as all of the "spooky darkness" I found depicted on much of the media I've seen about it turned out to make up a pretty small fraction of the actual book.)

Going into it, I didn't expect to admire Jane so much, but, ah! She's quite a cookie! What a head on her shoulders. She's not just some dull bore sitting off in a corner with dull thoughts, but she's quick as all get out, with a well of desires along with her resolve. I was miffed to see her depicted in an early film as a pretty thing, a little songbird perched at the piano, melting Mr. Rochester's heart with her sweet little tune. It took so much of the point out of her whole character, and I had to turn the movie off. (Rarely do I begin a movie without ever finishing it.)

Jane's power as a heroine comes not from being a cutie, from being a figure of stunning talents to turn everyone's heads and make everybody worship her, but her power comes from her inner landscape. She doesn't have the face of a Miss Blanche to make her interesting, but the fact that Jane doesn't need that in order to be subtly fascinating is what makes her...fascinating. It's what makes her classic.

I'm glad I finally took the plunge with this not-so-incredibly-dark-after-all book, now one of my all-time favorite novels. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte; 5 stars

One of THE best books I have ever read or in this case reread.

Jane is a poor orphan fobbed off at a very early age on a nice uncle & a bitchy aunt who have 3 abominable children. The uncle dies but makes his wife promise to always keep & care for Jane. That lasts a few miserable years until the aunt, through correspondence, finds a poorly run boarding school for Jane that will keep her holidays as well. She wants never to see her again.
So Jane goes to the boarding school where she works hard, learns well, is always hungry & often cold. She remains there studies hard & becomes a teacher there for an additional 2 years at which time she posts an advertisement for a position as governess.
She is hired by a Mrs Fairfax of Thornfield to become governess to a young girl, Adelle, who is a ward of the owner of Thornfield but the Master is rarely there. Jane is very happy in her new position but when the Master returns home she cannot help falling in love with him. She keeps this close to her vest. Little does she know that he has fallen in love with her as well.
In her room at night, Jane begins to hear strange cries, howls & noises from overhead. She knows that there is someone up on the 3rd floor but is told that it is a servant who keeps mainly to herself and indeed she does see Mrs. Poole occasionally going to & from that floor carrying items.
When Jane learns who is actually living in that upper abode she is heartbroken and feels she cannot remain. So the girl takes the poor things she arrived with and the few pennies she has and leaves, catching a coach that will take her as far away as her funds will allow. As she is let off the coach she forgets her little bundle and now all she has are the clothes on her back.
Jane walks & forages for food for about 3 days. She looks for work, finding only rejection. She begs food and is given bread crumbs. Finally one stormy night when she is so poorly she feels she can go no further she sees a light in the distance. She follows the light and comes upon a cottage in the wood where as she looks through the window she sees 2 young ladies that she is sure are sisters, for they look so much alike, and an elderly lady that she assumes is their mother, guardian or servant. She knocks on the door, is turned away & the door shut upon her. Jane is so ill, weak & weary that she collapses on the stoop.
The next thing she is aware of is a gentleman coming upon her, & helping her into the warm kitchen where now she is fed some warm milk & bread & is taken up to a warm bedroom, changed into dry sleeping clothes and put to bed where she remains ill & out of her head for several days. She is cared for by all of the inhabitants of the house. As she begins to get stronger she is allowed to sit up and eventually she feels well enough to get up, dressed & go downstairs where she joins the servant in the snug, warm kitchen.
She is accepted by this family and kept there for some time. The gentleman, who is a brother to the girls, finds work teaching for her along with a wee cottage of her own.
She lives thus for some time.
I will stop here, dear reader, for to go on would tell you more than you would wish to hear at this point.
This is one of the best books I have ever read and I very highly recommend it to young and old alike. ( )
1 vote rainpebble | Mar 16, 2014 |
I think the start of this book was captivating and a good plot. I think it is well written and in English that is sometimes hard to understand, but I could follow and I thought the plot was good. However, as I got to the end, I thought that sometimes the writer went on a tangent, and I couldn't finish the book - frankly, the ending wasn't the most exciting I've read! A good read, though:)
  amberw12346 | Mar 1, 2014 |
"It is a very strange sensation to inexperienced youth to feel itself quite alone in the world, cut adrift from every connection, uncertain whether the port to which it is bound can be reached, and prevented by many impediments from returning to that it has quitted. The charm of adventure sweetens that sensation, the glow of pride warms it: but then the throb of fear disturbs it: and fear with me became predominant, when half an hour elapsed and still I was alone."

First of all, I just have to say, my copy is one of the Penguin Classics, with the black spine/black lower third cover, the sort that usually have nice notes. Well this edition was "edited with introduction and notes" by Stevie Davies, and she sucks! Please do yourself a favor if you ever see this name for an editor in one of these sort of books and get a different edition!! I cannot begin to tell you how many goddamn spoilers this jerk ruined me with, and how angry I was/am to have everything utterly spoiled long before I read it, to already know there were suspicions about this and that and to know that X and Y were true, and so forth. So. angry!!!

And while we're talking about the notes, I must also include a quote from one of them:
"Elizabeth Rigby's scathing review of Jane Eyre in the Quarterly Review quoted a 'lady friend' to the effect that 'no woman trusses game and garnishes desert-dishes with the same hands, or talks of doing so in the same breath.' This, the novel must have been written by a man or by a woman so depraved as to have 'long forfeited the society of her own sex.'" ("desert-dishes" being how it appears in the note, not sure if the mistake is Penguin's or Rigby's),
because it made my eyes widen and elicited a half-amused half-horrified scoff of this repulsive woman's attitude. I mean, really! Can you imagine?? Because Brontë mentions doing two different food preps, this nasty thing went off claiming it was either some ignorant man or a woman no longer fit to deserve the title of her sex! Reprehensible.

"My rest might have been blissful enough, only a sad heart broke it. It plained of its gaping wounds, its inward bleeding, its riven chords."

Well then. The first four days I was reading the book it was pretty slow-going. I would read around 15-20 pages and then really want to do something else. It wasn't that I disliked what I was reading, not at all, I actually found it quite interesting from the start. But it just wasn't gripping me. So I figured, better not to push it, and therefore wound up reading about 60 pages/day. But then on day 5 almost before I knew it I wound up reading 220 pages! I read the last 120 the next day. What I figure is that the first third of the book is when Jane is a young child, and things are more happening around her, she's just swept up in whatever happens and that's that. But then around 200 pages in is when Jane starts making things happen, when she's choosing her own path and walking along it, and that's where it really picked up immediately and made it so I couldn't put the book down.

"The housekeeper and her husband were both of that decent, phlegmatic order of people, to whom one may at any time safely communicate a remarkable piece of news without incurring the danger of having one's ears pierced by some shrill ejaculation, and subsequently stunned by a torrent of wordy wonderment. Mary did look up, and she did stare at me; the ladle with which she was basting a pair of chickens roasting at the fire, did for some three minutes hang suspended in air, and for the same space of time John's knives also had rest from the polishing process; but Mary, bending again over the roast, said only —
'Have you, miss? Well, for sure!'"

I really really enjoyed this book. All of it. I was pleasantly thrilled by just how much. Yes, the beginning was slow, but it wasn't the kind of slow you groan about, it wasn't a slog. Jane was a really interesting character from beginning to end, and all the allusions to Charlotte's own life, combined with her first-person narrative style, made it a fascinating read. The characters are all vividly painted, you can just feel the emotions on all sides, it's as though you really know these people, they're not just some flimsy pages of text. I will definitely be reading more of the Brontës! ( )
6 vote PolymathicMonkey | Feb 20, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning; but since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre, and a rain so penetrating, that further out-door exercise was now out of the question.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question - why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of - I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.
Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.

This book is a classic. It has romance, a little adventure, a little comedy, and a little heartbreak. This book was slow at times but it made the important moments of the story better. The unexpected things more entertaining.

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:22 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

Twelve editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441143, 0142005142, 0140366784, 0141028165, 0451530918, 0141037377, 0582506212, 0143106155, 0141197595, 0141198850, 0143123149, 0734306547

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible