Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Jane Eyre (1847)

by Charlotte Bronte (Author)

35,26958317 (4.24)6 / 1942
Member:jlwagner13
Title:Jane Eyre
Authors:Charlotte Bronte (Author)
Info:Barnes & Noble edition
Rating:*****
Tags:Literature, England, 19th Century

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)

Unread books (1,018)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    The Brontës by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (shesinplainview)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Anonymous user)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    The Brontë Myth by Lucasta Miller (Wraith_Ravenscroft)

English (553)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (581)
Really enjoyed this, the best classic I've read in a long time. Charlotte's character development and imagery is much more to my liking than her sister Emily's utterly dislikeable Cathy and Heathcliff. ( )
  pcollins | Jul 27, 2014 |
So, this isn't going to be a very impartial review. Jane Eyre has been my favorite book since I was thirteen. The only criticism would be maybe the ending? Things get pretty well tied up with a bow, but that may be just a marker of the time period/genre. I find Jane to be a very likable and sympathetic character and Charlotte to be a great story-teller. That being said if you aren't that into classics as a genre you might not be such a fan. If you do enjoy classics and especially gothic novels you can't go wrong. ( )
  ouladybird2005 | Jul 21, 2014 |
My absolute favourite book. I never get tired of reading it. ( )
  margarita.gakis | Jul 17, 2014 |
One of the greatest novels ever written. ( )
  AlisonWinfieldBurns | Jul 17, 2014 |
Another high school read.

Definitely one I should re-read, as I don't remember much other than feeling terribly sorry for Jane.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning; but since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre, and a rain so penetrating, that further out-door exercise was now out of the question.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question - why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of - I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.
Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.

This book is a classic. It has romance, a little adventure, a little comedy, and a little heartbreak. This book was slow at times but it made the important moments of the story better. The unexpected things more entertaining.

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:22 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

Current discussions

Jane Eyre in Book talk

Twelve editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441143, 0142005142, 0140366784, 0141028165, 0451530918, 0141037377, 0582506212, 0143106155, 0141197595, 0141198850, 0143123149, 0734306547

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,630,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible