Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Jane Eyre (original 1847; edition 2012)

by Charlotte Brontë, F. H. (Frederick Henry) Townsend (Illustrator)

36,40260417 (4.23)6 / 2086
Member:urban_lenny
Title:Jane Eyre
Authors:Charlotte Brontë
Other authors:F. H. (Frederick Henry) Townsend (Illustrator)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Fiction, E-book, Books Read: 2013

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Brontës by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (shesinplainview)
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    The Brontë Myth by Lucasta Miller (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.

Romans (11)
Unread books (1,033)

English (571)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (601)
This is a book about an orphan named Jane Eyre. She has lived a lonely life until she finds a home at Thornfield Hall. She is happy not to be alone until strange things start to happen. She hears laughter eat night and a women who looks like a ghost roams her halls. She is about to discover a mystery about her new house at Thornfield Hall. The book is suspenseful and full of mystery. It would be classified as a realistic fiction book. ( )
  sarahetuemmler | Apr 20, 2015 |
Well. It was certainly a lot more accessible than I thought it would be. It was more a novel for pleasure, less a classic of the canon. Still, I wouldn't necessarily think most people Jane's age, nowadays, would get it. At age 48, I enjoyed it. I do take off 1/2 star for melodrama & implausibility. And I do take off 1/2 star for the doctrine that if one does one's best to obey God one will be rewarded in the hereafter. I mean, I know lots of people believe that stuff, but I do not, and I cannot enjoy being preached at. Still, the fact that Jane must try so hard to be obedient to God, and yet we see that she remains fully in control of her obedience to Man, makes for entertaining reading. ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Great gothic romance. Orphan governess finds love in a spooky situation. ( )
  kslade | Apr 7, 2015 |
***WARNING*** There are spoilers in this review, but hey, it’s a classic right? Although it is very likely that you have read Jane Eyre or at least know the story, this is a warning just in case!!***

Let’s just get this embarrassing girly moment over with right off the bat. **SIGH** I am SWOONING over 19th century men! :) *ahem* Okay.. Now that THAT is out of my system on to the review.

I loved this book and its story! I have to say that Mr. Rochester has earned his spot in my heart, even though he is quite dark, mysterious and edgy. Or maybe that’s the reason ;) Some of the things he says… just WOW. *insert more embarrassing swooning here*

Other than having a schoolgirl crush on the dark hero of this novel, I absolutely adored Jane. My heart went out with her during all of her seemingly endless hardships at Gateshead and then at Lowood school. I jumped for joy for her when Mr. Rochester first revealed his feelings, and when she finds her cousins. And, of course I was also thrilled when she got her happy ending. I just felt like I knew her and was really close with her. The narration was so personal. Definitely one of my favourite heroines! I was so proud of her for always striving for independence and living her life according to her own will, not letting any man dictate who she was going to be. Jane Eyre teaches us that you can overcome your difficult past, decide your own destiny and that you are stronger than you believe. Strong women FOR THE WIN.

This classic novel definitely possesses something else that makes it different from most. I loved the gothic element (an element shared by all the Brontë sisters) and the eerie, ghostly atmosphere was superb. Turns out I love a dark and mysterious classic!

I love this coming of age story that is filled with mystery and terror, and the romance isn’t too hard to read either! JUST CLASSIC AND ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL :D ( )
  ceecee83 | Feb 28, 2015 |
Ahhh...how I loved this book. I believe this might of been my sixth time of reading it. Every once in a while I need to leave this world and simplify...love. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark. (From the Preface)
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question - why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of - I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.
Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.

This book is a classic. It has romance, a little adventure, a little comedy, and a little heartbreak. This book was slow at times but it made the important moments of the story better. The unexpected things more entertaining.

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:22 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

12 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441143, 0142005142, 0140366784, 0141028165, 0451530918, 0141037377, 0582506212, 0143106155, 0141197595, 0141198850, 0143123149, 0734306547

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,747,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible