Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Jane Eyre (original 1847; edition 2012)

by Charlotte Brontë, F. H. (Frederick Henry) Townsend (Illustrator)

40,75669016 (4.23)7 / 2528
Member:urban_lenny
Title:Jane Eyre
Authors:Charlotte Brontë
Other authors:F. H. (Frederick Henry) Townsend (Illustrator)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Fiction, E-book, Books Read: 2013

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Anonymous user)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    The Brontë Myth by Lucasta Miller (Wraith_Ravenscroft)

Romans (11)
1840s (1)

English (654)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  All (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (1)  All (688)
well it was actually a lot better than i was expecting; the characters were really developed and the writing was superb; the story itself was a little predictable but what story isn't now a days. overall really glad i finally read it. ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
Re-read. Always the best. My most favorite story!! ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jul 5, 2017 |
Leather bound from the Library of Lawrence and Ruth Whitcomb
  cng12345 | Jul 1, 2017 |
It's a good book, but I don't quite see why it's such a classic. Or rather, I can see why people are so interested in it, but it doesn't seem noticeably better than others of similar age. I don't know. It was odd reading it, because of course I know the twist - I was waiting for Rochester's wife to show up as soon as he did. I quite like Jane, and her cousins; I quite dislike St. John, and Rochester is annoying too. I'm not sure he redeemed himself, at the end...though he did _not_, as I almost expected him to, reject her because he was damaged. Now I want to read some of the stories based on this, that I've read before - The Eyre Affair, for one - now that I know how this one goes. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 17, 2017 |
This fictional autobiography of a young orphan and her education, adventures, and romances was a true delight to read. Admittedly, I'm quite a bit older than the age in which most read JANE EYRE for the first time, but that did in no way diminish my enjoyment. It was a truly affirming story, demonstrating great hardships in life and the ways in which they may be endured and overcome, and also life's great joys and how they may be appreciated when in contrast to life's hardships. Through living this life with Jane (and what a life it is) our own lives may be examined and reviewed in greater color and emotion. ( )
  BooksForYears | Jun 11, 2017 |
Long and detailed book reading experience. Reading is my hobby that is useful for my insight and my way of thinking in doing the action

Lowongan Kerja Terbaru

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Reader, I love Jane Eyre. It is a gothic coming-of-age classic of a strong and independent woman of integrity.
Jane is not beautiful nor rich. She has flaws and temperaments--not the average heroine. She chooses her values than to justify mistakes or to be blinded of love. She would not be submissive to any man, even to the man she loves, as she knows her principles, self-worth and standing. Most importantly, she believes that it is thoughtless to condemn or laugh at women if they seek to do or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.

Dearest reader, I highly recommend it.

Wow, what a story. Fear. Instinct. (mis)Information. I'm not sure what to say except that, not unlike the experiences of protagonist Winston Smith, the weight of the world Orwell creates surrounds and overpowers and, with only slight glimpses of hope along the way, crushes into dust.

Brontë, Charlotteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre (Readable Classics) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,160,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible