Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

35,42558517 (4.24)6 / 1960
Member:OWSLibrary
Title:Jane Eyre
Authors:Charlotte Brontë
Info:Bath, England : Chivers Press, 2000.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)

Romans (11)
Unread books (1,018)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    The Brontës by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (shesinplainview)
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Anonymous user)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    The Brontë Myth by Lucasta Miller (Wraith_Ravenscroft)

English (555)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (583)
I was decidedly underwhelmed by this book. I am a big fan of Jane Austen and other 19th century lit, but this book just bored me to tears. There were days I couldn't read more than ten pages before I fell asleep...in the middle of the day. I felt like I was in church, being preached to (with a sermon completely impossible to understand)...for weeks and weeks and weeks. Dear God, I'm glad I'm done with this book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I TRULY FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK WITH ITS VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT CHARACTERS AND WELL PRODUCED STORYLINE ( )
  JMHD1975 | Aug 12, 2014 |
I originally read this book when I was fifteen and (as many boys happen to be at one time or another) obsessed with science fiction and fantasy. Jane Eyre was one of my mother's favorite tales, and she equally enjoyed the film with Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine.

At the time, I couldn't imagine slogging through three-hundred-odd pages of what was presumably dense Victorian romance and bleak melodrama; images of girlish diaries and shirtless, well-oiled hunks were enough to turn me off of it for a while.

Boy, oh boy, was I wrong.

While there are definitely elements of Gothic drama and Victoriana, they frame a beautiful tale of a good woman; she does not see herself as pretty or well-bred, and does not think she deserves much. She's an orphan, cared for in youth by her uncle and spiteful aunt, accompanied by three equally spiteful cousins (fun fact: her uncle, the only one kind to her in her family, dies shortly after she comes to live at Gateshead). Friendship is scarce to be found, and Jane is eventually shipped off to a girls' boarding school at the recommendation of a doctor.

At the school, Jane finds little solace; her only true friend is claimed by fever, and life is once more bleak and lonely. Nonetheless, she wins an education and elects to leave the school to work as a governess, sending in to a request at Thornfield Hall.

It's there that she meets the brooding gentleman Edward Rochester and falls promptly, impossibly, and thus all the more unhappily in love with him. A classic Gothic character, Jane nevertheless feels no fear around Mr. Rochester; she's intelligent, independent, and is content to live in quiet suffering and to do her job well.

I won't spoil the rest of the story; certain events unfold that don't bode too well for poor Jane. Let me just say that this is one of the best novels I've ever read. It's a classic work.

And Jane should have never learned fucking Hindi with the doctor, why do you do this to yourself, ARGH. ( )
1 vote zhyatt | Aug 12, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this, the best classic I've read in a long time. Charlotte's character development and imagery is much more to my liking than her sister Emily's utterly dislikeable Cathy and Heathcliff. ( )
  pcollins | Jul 27, 2014 |
So, this isn't going to be a very impartial review. Jane Eyre has been my favorite book since I was thirteen. The only criticism would be maybe the ending? Things get pretty well tied up with a bow, but that may be just a marker of the time period/genre. I find Jane to be a very likable and sympathetic character and Charlotte to be a great story-teller. That being said if you aren't that into classics as a genre you might not be such a fan. If you do enjoy classics and especially gothic novels you can't go wrong. ( )
  ouladybird2005 | Jul 21, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning; but since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre, and a rain so penetrating, that further out-door exercise was now out of the question.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question - why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of - I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.
Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.

This book is a classic. It has romance, a little adventure, a little comedy, and a little heartbreak. This book was slow at times but it made the important moments of the story better. The unexpected things more entertaining.

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:22 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

Twelve editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441143, 0142005142, 0140366784, 0141028165, 0451530918, 0141037377, 0582506212, 0143106155, 0141197595, 0141198850, 0143123149, 0734306547

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible