Vintage: A Ghost Story by Steve Berman

Vintage: A Ghost Story (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Steve Berman

Member:wtoomey
Title:Vintage: A Ghost Story
Authors:Steve Berman
Info:Lethe Press (2008), Library Binding, 204 pages

Vintage: A Ghost Story by Steve Berman (2007)

I loved this. I wish it were part of a series, because I wasn't finished hanging out with Narrator and his friends. (...I didn't even realise Narrator didn't have a name until I read other people's reviews. That's some good storytelling.)

JetSilver | Mar 31, 2013 |
Interesting young adult ghost story. This is narrated by a gay teenager whose name we never learn, who starts into a strange and spooky relationship with a ghost, and eventually finds a live love interest, which causes some supernatural drama. Genuinely scary at some points, and also poignant in the characterization of the main character, who was kicked out of his house by his parents for being gay and now lives with an aunt. Recommended.
Edit | More ( )
  allthesedarnbooks | Jul 18, 2011 |
A spooky but somewhat absurd ghost story. A gay goth kid meets and is preyed upon by the handsome ghost of a jock from the 50s. The atmosphere is tense, and the rapport between this character and his best friend Trace, as well as his best friend's cutie-pie younger brother, are sizzly and fun. Many of the secondary characters, however, speak and behave in a way that struck me as strangely unnatural. And the central ghost story is kind of campy, to be frank. ( )
  kougogo | Mar 10, 2010 |
Reviewed by JodiG. for TeensReadToo.com

What would be more difficult to tell your friends and family: that you are gay or that you can see ghosts?

Late one night, a teenage boy encounters a ghost while walking along a dark stretch of road. The ghost is that of a handsome high school athlete who was killed on that same road in 1957. Now the main character finds himself drawn into an obsessive relationship with the ghost. One that seems to get more dangerous with every encounter.

In addition to his troubled love life, the narrator is in the midst of a family and emotional crisis. While learning to accept his sexual orientation, without exactly "coming out," he has found himself rejected by his own parents. He now lives with his Aunt Jan, who is loving and generous, but will she accept him if she knows he is gay?

With the help of his best friend, Trace, he sets out to help the spirits find peace while trying to find a bit of peace for himself.

Steve Berman has created a clever mix of urban myth, Goth, and ghost story while also tackling the confusing issues as a teen deals with his sexual orientation. VINTAGE is a clever and haunting story with some delightfully creepy scenes. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
This being a ghost story you would expect some strange stuff. However, the strangest thing that I just realized after trying to start this review, is that I really don't think we ever found out the first name of the main character. Something you would think would be glaringly obvious while reading a book, but I never noticed until now (unless I'm just completely losing it!) Putting that aside, I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I'm not a huge horror fan so it was good that although the book was very creepy it never ran to extreme violence or absolute terror, which really would have turned me off.

This story is about a goth teen with many problems; he has run away from his home, dropped out of school, has a morbid fascination with death and is gay (not that this last is necessarily a problem, only in that having others find out is what caused his other issues). However, the most disturbing problem is an ability he has yet to realize, one that could lead to a potentially deadly crush.

Although the descriptions seemed rather scarce, we still got a very good view of all the characters, including our nameless lead and his various acquaintances. I especially liked Trace and Second Mike, their family dynamics being unusual and intriguing. I also very much appreciated the main character's compassion when dealing with everything from the ghosts (at least the ones that aren't completely horrifying) to his blossoming physical relationship and knowing some things need to be taken slow (I have one scene in particular in mind, but won't say more so I'm not giving spoilers).

I thought this was a very good ghost story, almost as creepy as "The Monkey's Paw" which has always rather freaked me out, rounded out by an additional focus on personal relationships and what it means to be gay in an oftentimes unaccepting environment.

One last little thing I wanted to mention is that I noticed and wanted to give a thumbs up to is the little fan service the author gives to his friend, Holly Black, who is also one of my favorite authors. ( )
2 vote Jenson_AKA_DL | Nov 5, 2008 |
added by gsc55 | editGreedy Bug Book Reviews, Cindi (Jun 20, 2013)

In a small New Jersey town, a lonely teen walking along a highway one autumn evening meets the boy of his dreams, a boy who happens to have died decades ago and haunts the road. Awkward crushes, both bitter and sweet, lead him to face youthful dreams and childish fears. With a cast of offbeat friends, antiques, and Ouija boards, Vintage offers readers a memorable blend of dark humor, chills and love.

A lonely seventeen-year-old who has dreamed of meeting a different and special boy desperately seeks help from his friend Trace, a Goth girl, to free him from the clutches of a handsome ghost he has met on a rural New Jersey highway.

Steve Berman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,731,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible