Outside My Window by Linda Ashman

Outside My Window

by Linda Ashman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Outside My Window" is a lovingly illustrated children's book about the different place children live around the world. The books features 12 locations, including New York City, Ethiopia, New Mexico, Japan, the English countryside, and Guatemala. Each location gets a two-page illustration highlighting unique and interesting details about the place. Children will love the simple rhymes, making this an ideal bedtime book.

NB: I received a free copy of this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. ( )
  sullijo | Sep 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a beautifully illustrated book that shares the story of what children in different parts of the world when they look at their windows. But when it gets dark at night, we all see the same moon. I loved turning the pages and see what the pictures would show. The story is also told in rhyme, fun and easy to read to young children. I received a complimentary book as part of the Librarything Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  melaniehope | Sep 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The illustrations make this book. In these pages, there's a lovely variety of scenes to immerse yourself in, all similar in style but influenced by the distinct characteristics of places and lifestyles. It's a simple and well-executed concept: what children see outside their windows in different parts of the world. I do have a few quibbles. The locations are listed in the back of the book., and there's a nod to a map in the background, but it would have been so much more engaging to have an actual map with the places marked. For my child, on the lower side of the age range for this book (4–8), the names of the cities/countries were pretty meaningless out of context. The rhymes are sometimes evocative, occasionally a bit too sing-songy for my taste. It didn't really capture the attention of my five-year-old, for whom the lack of characters or a storyline made the book seem repetitive.
  seidchen | Sep 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a really cute book. The story follows how even if we live in far away countries, we are still connected. I particularly liked how the story covered different rural, urban, and suburb communities. The illustrations are perfect for each location, with even an index of each country. Absolutely lovely. ( )
  philae_02 | Sep 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A charming and simple book giving snapshots of life around the world. Rural, suburban and city settings are seen on a sunny day. One-on-one reading is the best use of this book. Together, you can meander through it or use it as a jumping off point for further explorations. The lovely illustrations are both detailed and simple, perfect for young children. For those interested, there is a list at the back of the book, identifying the locations. ( )
  geraldinefm | Aug 28, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Linda Ashman's book Outside My Window is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,189,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible