Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale (original 1975; edition 2004)

by Verna Aardema (Author), Leo Dillon (Illustrator), Diane Dillon (Illustrator)

Member:rscucclibrary
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale
Authors:Verna Aardema (Author)
Other authors:Leo Dillon (Illustrator), Diane Dillon (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin/Dial (1992), 32 pages
Collections:Children's books

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

This book begins with a mosquito whispering in an iguana's ear, that then frightened the snake, eventually causing the rabbit to jump, and etc. This story clearly has cause and effect and it had all started with a tiny mosquito that made the rest of the animals to be disturbed somehow. This book can be used in a classroom to explain how certain actions cause others to be affected. Students can also create a cause and effect timeline based on the book or even on an event that happened to them. ( )
  always_smile_jo | Sep 18, 2018 |
A just-so-story with mesmerizing artwork, and a recurring pattern. The story follows a series of animals that make uninformed decisions based on things they see. This book teaches people that choices have consequences and the cause and effect of those choices. In class, the teacher can have students think about their own actions and then predict the outcome of different things they do daily. ( )
  Mistian | Sep 15, 2018 |
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears is a very interesting read. It tells the tale of why a mosquito buzzes in peoples ears, and it all happened through a chain of events.
I found this tale very interesting, and it reminded me of a tale my mom used to tell me when I was a child about how the tiger received its stripes.
The illustration in the book went hand in hand with the text. When the author would write about the monkey being alarmed, the illustration would depict that. This would be a great book to read to children because they not only get to hear an amazing tale, but they also get to see the text correlate with the illustration. Also, say this book was being read to a child who was learning English. The child will be able to see what the animals are, and see the animals English names. ( )
  ctran1 | Aug 27, 2018 |
The tale of an African legend to tell why mosquitoes buzz in peoples ears and bother us today. I would use this to discuss how actions make other things happen. ( )
  KBosnak | Aug 13, 2018 |
A cumulative pourquoi tale about why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears from West Africa. The mosquito causes a huge amount of chaos and confusion with his lies and the jungle is in an uproar. King Lion must figure out what really happened in order to get the sun to rise again. The animals are all angry with the mosquito, so that is why he buzzes in our ears. He is asking if we are still mad at him. Lovely illustrations and the winner of the Caldecott Award. ( )
  Milliky | Jul 13, 2018 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,630,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible