Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

2,6601962,244 (4.08)10
Member:MarieCasillas
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

fable of how a mosquito whispers into peoples ears. he cause the death of the owl's baby that wakes up the sun. he felt so bad about it that from now on he whispers in people's ear to see if they are still mad at him.
2 books
  TUCC | Aug 4, 2016 |
GR: N
GL: 4.2
DRA: 30
Lexile: 770L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 4, 2016 |
Leo and Diane Dillon's illustrations add to this West African tale. The mosquito sets off a chain of events that lead to a tragedy, so Mother Owl won't wake the sun. Lion goes back down the chain of events, and Mosquito has spent the rest of his life asking if the animals are still mad at him. ( )
  jmillerlits | Jul 13, 2016 |
is one of my favorites from this whole set of Caldecott books. I love the cumulative tale, the humor, the different personalities of all the animals, and especially the onomatopoeia. And of course the art is fabulous: bright, iconographic, vivid. " ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a good book for grades 3-5 and will captivate students with the bright and vibrant illustrations as well as a silly tale that is told throughout the story. Students can use this to learn about African culture or see the types of stories they tell there which this book is based on. This would probably make a good interactive read aloud because there may be some difficult words to understand but also so the teacher can ask questions and reinforce different ideas when needed. ( )
  aeuin01 | Apr 29, 2016 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,364,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible