Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

Member:MarieCasillas
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

This is a story about a chin reaction that begins when a mosquito tells an iguana a secret. It ends up going through a whole group of animals and then Mother Owl does not hoot and wake the sun. This is a funny story.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 3, 2015 |
This book is based on an African fable and includes stunning, bright, and expressive illustrations. It is a morality story about lies and consequences. This fable could be enjoyed by children in early education through elementary school. It would be a great choice to spark discussion of cause and effect and/or consequences.

Art medium used: watercolor airbrush, pastels, India ink, cut shapes ( )
  EliseMT | Jan 18, 2015 |
A very beautiful book and a great lesson. A child can learn a lot from the story, but also a new place.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
Overall, I really enjoyed this story. I loved the illustrations. I thought that they were unique and very interesting. For example, there was a scene in the story where all the animals were gathered at a meeting. I had to look closely in order to find all the animals, which definitely made me pay attention to all of the illustrations. With that being said, I thought that the illustrator did a really great job. Also, I liked the onomatopoeia throughout the story. For example, the author wrote, “[The crow] flew into the forest crying kaa, kaa, kaa!” I definitely thought that it enhanced the story because the sounds of different animals were being introduced. After reading this story, I think that the big idea is to introduce the topic of cause and effect. The story was centered on a chain reaction and its consequences. An example of a chain reaction that was mentioned in the story would be, “So, it was the rabbit who startled the crow, who alarmed the monkey, who killed the owlet-- and now Mother Owl won’t wake the sun so that the day can come.” This is a very interesting story and one that I enjoyed a lot. ( )
  GaiaGonzales | Nov 4, 2014 |
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears a West African Tale
This audio book starts out with an iguana and a mosquito talking about the yams the farmer was digging.
Snake then approaches the iguana, then goes into the rabbit hole. Love the animals and their sounds as the parade of animals continues.
Lion calls a meeting and he gets down to the problems....
  jbarr5 | Nov 4, 2014 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,744,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible