Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

This book holds a great lesson! I think children could learn a lot from this story, not only would they receive a beautiful lesson but also information on a new place!
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this story. I like how it gave a meaning behind why mosquitos do buzz in peoples ears and I can see children really enjoing learning about that.
  ninaberger | Nov 12, 2015 |
This book is a folk story about how and why mosquitos have a tendency to buzz in peoples ears. ( )
  Emilysill | Oct 20, 2015 |
I like this book for several reasons. First, I like the language the author uses. The author uses a lot of onomatopoeias in the story because it is a folktale about animals. For instance, she writes, “mek, mek, mek, mek, through the reeds”, “bobbing his head, badamin, badamin”, and “he flew into the forest crying kaa, kaa, kaa!” The author also used repetition throughout the story. The king would find out the animal who caused the chaos and would say, “So, it was the python who scared the rabbit, who startled the crow, who alarmed the monkey, who killed the owlet- and now Mother Owl won’t wake the sun so that the day can come” each time an animal blamed another animal. Second, I like the illustrations. The book received the Caldecott Award in 1976. The illustrators, Leo and Diane Dillon, use bold colors to complement the African tale.The colors are bright and create a nice contrast to the text. The illustrations also show how angry the animals were for the sun not coming out. For example, the python takes up the entire page with his teeth showing and mouth wide open like he is scowling. The big idea of this book is that your actions can have consequences on others and to not lie. This is shown when the mosquito lies to the Iguana and causes chaos and a death of an owlet. ( )
  TiffanyYi | Oct 4, 2015 |
A great story teaching us to be extra careful when you tell stories that aren't yours to tell. Or rather, gossip can cause a whole bunch of hurt. It's important not to talk about what isn't yours to share and especially if you have no idea what you are saying. A lesson we should all be reminded of. ( )
  gracelovera | Sep 29, 2015 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible