Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

Member:MarieCasillas
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

This book follows a nice sequence of events for kids to read. It follows the animals and an unfortunate set of events that eventually the animals must find out who caused a death in its animal kingdom. Eventually the mosquito tries to find out if the situation is still talked about and eventually faces severe consequences. This book can really help kids find a cause and effect. The kids can also help demonstrate an order of events. ( )
  kxmart | Apr 17, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the illustrations. I thought that they were unique and very interesting. Besides being unique and interesting, they were very bold, colorful, and big! I liked the use of onomatopoeia throughout the story. For example, the author wrote, “She turned her head toward the east and hooted: ‘Hoo! Hoooooo! Hooooooo!’” I think that this literary device really enhanced the story because the sounds of the different animals were being introduced. I think that the main idea is to introduce the topic of cause and effect. The story was centered on a chain reaction of events and their consequences. This is a very interesting story, and a must read! ( )
  CRoss13 | Apr 7, 2015 |
Lindsey Johnson

Book #7

Genre-
multicultural

Book Summary: Mosquito tells iguana a lie and iguana puts sticks in his ear so that he doesn’t have to listen to him. While walking through the forest python sees him and tries to talk to him but iguana can’t hear him. So python hides in rabbit’s hole, and scares him, this starts a chain of events that turns the forest upside down. After an owlet is killed the forest has a meeting and decides that it is mosquito’s fault. To this day mosquito flies around and whispers in people’s ears asking them if the animals are still mad at him. He gets his answer, KPAO!

Personal Reaction: This book is very cute. I think the children will enjoy reading it.

Extension Activities:
1. Write a story about mosquito redeeming himself, in the killing of the owlet, and what he does now that he is no longer in hiding.
2. Draw illustrations of what the conference of the animals might have looked like.
  LindseyJohnson | Mar 24, 2015 |
This story starts with a mosquito who tells a fib to the iguana. The iguana pts sticks in his ears and doesn't say good morning to the snake. The snake then goes and set off another animal do to something that sets off another animal....which ends in one of the owls babies dyeing. She is so sad she does not hoot which normally brings the sun up. The lion has a meeting to understand why the owl won't hoot and they go through all the animals until they come to the mosquito. The mosquito now goes around buzzing in peoples ears to find out if everyone is still mad at her.
  Melody.Ryan | Mar 16, 2015 |
This is a great story to teach cause and effect, especially the effect ones actions have on the entire community, beyond simply the ones who are initially involved. ( )
  reynolds2 | Mar 14, 2015 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,787,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible