Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

Recently added byLeslieJewkes, scorco2, victoria-hill, davidgn, SEEC, Revekka, gracelovera, private library

A great story teaching us to be extra careful when you tell stories that aren't yours to tell. Or rather, gossip can cause a whole bunch of hurt. It's important not to talk about what isn't yours to share and especially if you have no idea what you are saying. A lesson we should all be reminded of. ( )
  gracelovera | Sep 29, 2015 |
This was an interesting read that I enjoyed, though I have mixed feelings about its use in a classroom for its mature plot. It's a West African Tale about a chain of events with animals that lead to the death of a baby owlet. Because of her sorrow, the Mother Owl won't change night back into day until the case is solved. While trying to solve the mystery of who's fault it was, the animals trace all the way back to a pesky mosquito that annoyed an iguana, which set off the chain of events that lead to a monkey falling on an owl's nest. The book ends with the mosquito being just as annoying at the end (not learning his lesson) and dying with a splat. Its language is a little more advanced but something that would be successful in a real aloud with younger readers. The writing is funny and interesting and the characters are enjoyable. Repetition and rhythm are very evident. "...and now Mother Owl won't wake the sun so that the day can come" is the consisent ending to the ever-growing chain of events unraveled by the book's end. The plot is also interesting; my only real problem with the book is that its a bit graphic. A baby owl dies and so does the mosquito. I don't think it's overly graphic, however, and is still a wholesome read. Its plot is a good, clear demonstration of cause and effect. "So, it was the mosquito who annoyed the iguana, who frightened the python, who scared the rabbit, who startled the crow, who alarmed the monkey, who killed the owlet" is an example of its straightforward nature. It teaches young readers about justice and, quite simply, the annoying nature of mosquitoes. The illustrations are aesthetically pleasing and stay true to its African roots. It definitely pushes readers to deal with a mature topic that's still funny and relatable overall. ( )
  scorco2 | Sep 28, 2015 |
I like this book. This book had great illustrations and the writing. The writing was great. I like the sound effect written for each animal and each action. With the sound effects and illustrations the visual effect was great. The message for the book was everything you do effects the people around you. The events in the book all happened because someone/something did something to effect their actions. This is a good way to explain how things are connected in this great big world. ( )
  Rosalindd | Sep 2, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a good book that allows for discussions of a different culture, and how a story can be blown out of proportion, only to end the book in a funny way. The plot, while funny, makes some very good points about how your actions can affect many others down the line. This is shown by when the mosquito lies to the lizard, it sets off a chain reaction of other's becoming upset by how other's react then to the lizard. This is also shown when the animals are going back over why the events in the story happened, they realized that they all over reacted, resulting in the death of a animal. Another reason this book is a good book is that the writing is very engaging and make the reader want to keep reading. When they are first going from animal to animal, you realize each animal has a reason for the way the act. The author then brings this back in the second part of the book, but views the animals actions from the person they are harming point of view. When you first read the book, the snake go into a hole in the ground to get away from the lizard, without realizing it would scare the rabbit. When the books goes into the falling action part of the story line, you realize the snake crawling into the rabbit's hole scared it, causing it to scare someone else. The big message behind this book is that your actions can have consequences on others, so always watch your actions. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Sep 2, 2015 |
Traditional Literature Assignment
  mefellers | Jul 24, 2015 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,671,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible