Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

Member:MarieCasillas
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

Overall, I really enjoyed this story. I loved the illustrations. I thought that they were unique and very interesting. For example, there was a scene in the story where all the animals were gathered at a meeting. I had to look closely in order to find all the animals, which definitely made me pay attention to all of the illustrations. With that being said, I thought that the illustrator did a really great job. Also, I liked the onomatopoeia throughout the story. For example, the author wrote, “[The crow] flew into the forest crying kaa, kaa, kaa!” I definitely thought that it enhanced the story because the sounds of different animals were being introduced. After reading this story, I think that the big idea is to introduce the topic of cause and effect. The story was centered on a chain reaction and its consequences. An example of a chain reaction that was mentioned in the story would be, “So, it was the rabbit who startled the crow, who alarmed the monkey, who killed the owlet-- and now Mother Owl won’t wake the sun so that the day can come.” This is a very interesting story and one that I enjoyed a lot. ( )
  GaiaGonzales | Nov 4, 2014 |
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears a West African Tale
This audio book starts out with an iguana and a mosquito talking about the yams the farmer was digging.
Snake then approaches the iguana, then goes into the rabbit hole. Love the animals and their sounds as the parade of animals continues.
Lion calls a meeting and he gets down to the problems....
  jbarr5 | Nov 4, 2014 |
I liked this West African tale. I enjoyed how the illustrations and colors of the book matched the patterns and design of West African culture. Not only that, I appreciated seeing the tale consist of characters (animals) that are found in West Africa. There were characters such as iguanas, snakes, rabbits, monkeys, owls, giraffes, lions, elephants, and much more. What is great about this story is the message and writing. This book's main purpose is to show the development and consequence of cause and effect. Here is an example of the full cause and effect in this story. “So, it was the mosquito who annoyed the iguana, who frightened the python, who scared the rabbit, who startled the crow, who alarmed the monkey, who killed the owlet – and now Mother Owl won't wake the sun so that the day can come.” The wrap up of this story is very clever. The story concludes that the reason why mosquitos buzz in people's ears is because they have a guilty conscience and whine to people, “Zeee! Is everyone still angry at me?” ( )
  yyoon4 | Oct 30, 2014 |
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears is an African folktale based on the realistic consequences of telling a lie and the harmful effects it may have to others. Author, Verna Aardema, retells this tale in a playful tone, jerking the audience between dramatic and humorous aspects. The unique illustrations add spunk to the storyline; specfically due to the white outlines of the abstract animal illustrations. I adored the author’s efforts to recreate an entertaining story from a life lesson almost every individual will encounter. To reader’s warning, a child does pass away; making this not a choice of text for a sensitive audience. However, overall this is a great read for younger children, in presenting a serious lesson with a cheerful tone. ( )
  nfigue1 | Oct 6, 2014 |
Full of imagination, colorful illustrations and word sounds, this book illustrates an African folktale come to life. The domino effect from one iguana's being upset to the sun not even coming up shows human nature through the actions of African animals. It is eventually resolved and everything is back to normal, but all the animals have learned a lesson. The mosquito, who started everything by telling a tall tale ends up whining and complaining by buzzing in people's ears. Of course, people respond by swatting the mosquito!

I really liked the word sounds like mek mek, krik krik, kaa kaa, pem pem, purup purup,Zeee and KPAO! It might be fun to brainstorm with children about how letter sounds reflect sounds we hear in nature or even around us in our classroom.

This book lends itself to doing some kind of art project with either watercolor or maybe with paper shapes. ( )
  barbarapatt | Oct 6, 2014 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,927,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible