Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

Member:MarieCasillas
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

A mosquito brags to an iguana that he spied a farmer digging yams as large as mosquitoes. The iguana doesn't believe that and wont to listen to any more nonsense. He sets off a chain reaction among many animals inhabiting the same area. The iguana offends a python, who goes down a rabbit hole and scares a rabbit. Seeing the rabbit scares a crow up above, who spreads an alarm that danger is near. When a monkey reacts to the alarm, a baby owl is killed, which makes the mother owl so distraught she is unable to wake the sun each day with her hooting. The nights become longer and when the King Lion calls a meeting to get to the bottom of things, the chain of events is traced back to the source of all the trouble, the little mosquito. Finding the culprit satisfies the mother owl, who calls the sun back again. But the mosquito is forever bound to his guilty conscience making him a pest forever

Personal: I like this story because it really describes how our decisions can affect those around us. It is important that we leave a positive impact wherever we go to ensure that we don't cause anymore negativity than there already is.

Extension: This book could be used in a classroom setting to teach children that their consequences have actions.
  M_Graham | Jul 3, 2015 |
Cumulative folk tale showing a cause and effect relationship. Mosquito tells a lie, resulting in a jungle disaster! ( )
  troberts719 | Jul 2, 2015 |
This would be a good book to read when talking about myths and folklore. I think children would enjoy it because of the rhythmic pattern that is used throughout. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | Apr 29, 2015 |
Summary: This story recounts an African legend. A mosquito in the story lies to a lizard. The lizard then puts sticks in its ears to frighten another animal in the story, causing disorder among all the animals. Towards the end of the story, a baby owl is killed and its mother is too sad to wake the sun up until the animals court meeting to find out why and how her baby died. The mosquito is found responsible and goes into hiding to avoid any harsh punishments. Now, it continuously buzzes in the ears of people to see it anyone is still angry with it.

Personal reflection: This was the first African tale I've read and I thought it was really hard to follow along with. The story provides good character building traits that could be used to help students learn from lying and scheming.

Class use: Text set for West African literature, Text set for tales, I could read this book aloud to the class and we could construct a timeline of events in the book to keep an organized understanding of the tale. Ask students to create their own tales about why mosquitos buzz in peoples' ears.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 29, 2015 |
This book follows a nice sequence of events for kids to read. It follows the animals and an unfortunate set of events that eventually the animals must find out who caused a death in its animal kingdom. Eventually the mosquito tries to find out if the situation is still talked about and eventually faces severe consequences. This book can really help kids find a cause and effect. The kids can also help demonstrate an order of events. ( )
  kxmart | Apr 17, 2015 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,980,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible