Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

2,5581942,354 (4.08)10
Member:MarieCasillas
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

This is a good book for grades 3-5 and will captivate students with the bright and vibrant illustrations as well as a silly tale that is told throughout the story. Students can use this to learn about African culture or see the types of stories they tell there which this book is based on. This would probably make a good interactive read aloud because there may be some difficult words to understand but also so the teacher can ask questions and reinforce different ideas when needed. ( )
  aeuin01 | Apr 29, 2016 |
I really like this book for many reasons, it not only is humourous, but it also can teach many lessons. It can aid in teaching sequencing, cause and effect, and retelling. This would be a great K-5 book, because you can use it with many standards. ( )
  rachelpelston | Apr 29, 2016 |
This is a great book for kids of many ages. It can be done as a read aloud or as a lesson you have in your sub tub if you have a sick day! (Since this book can be found in read aloud done online) This book has an interesting way of showing how things come to be. Why the sun comes up, and why mosquitos buzz in peoples ears. After reading it we could have a class discussion on what they thought the purpose of the book was. This will be a good time to hear students ideas and see what they are thinking. After that we can talk about some of the worlds other natural occurrences like the ocean making waves, or the rain falling from the sky. Then students can get into groups and with the idea their group comes up with, they can create a story that goes along with it. Once everyone is done we can use the classroom props buckets to get creative and act out our skits! ( )
  jennabushong | Apr 23, 2016 |
I would use this book in the 4th grade to teach about African culture by having the students do a readers theatre. I think it is appropriate for 4th grade because the students would be able to create their own readers theatre. ( )
  SarahSangalli | Apr 22, 2016 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. The book emphasizes the importance of telling the truth and the consequences of telling a lie through a traditional story that has been passed down for generations. I really like the colorful pictures and the cause and effect element throughout the book, which will help readers identify and understand the concept. This is a cute way to give young children a theory as to why mosquitos are so annoying. The illustrations and vocabulary/names throughout the book also lend authenticity to the African tale which will help children associate the tale with the culture. The big idea/message of this story is to entertain and to emphasize telling the truth/moral responsibility. ( )
  nfiore5 | Mar 31, 2016 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible