Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (original 1975; edition 1980)

by Verna Aardema

Member:MarieCasillas
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Authors:Verna Aardema
Info:Scholastic (1980), Paperback
Tags:ETEC 525

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema (1975)

I always wondered why mosquitos buzz. My question has been answered from this wonderful book about the owl not waking the sun due to the death of her owlet. What causes the death is the chatting of all the animals in the jungle. Once the king and animals realize it is the fault of the mosquito that this has occurred, they decide to punish him; however he hides. Because of this, he comes out of the shadows to ask if all are still mad at him...hence the buzzing...and he is greeted with a swat. Now he knows the answer and continues to question to see if he will ever be forgiven.

Lesson plan: https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/lesson-plans/teaching-content/why-mosquitoes-buzz-peoples-ears-discussion-guide/

https://www.teachervision.com/lesson/making-inferences-why-mosquitoes-buzz-peoples-ears ( )
  SraSpoer | Apr 17, 2017 |
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears is appropriate for Kindergarten through 2nd grade as a read aloud text. As an independent text for first and second grade. It can also be used as a mentor text for 5th and 6th grade. This book could be used as a read aloud because it is engaging to a wide variety of students and the pictures are bright and engaging. The book draws in the attention of the whole class. It is an appropriate reading level for first and second graders, but may be long. This book can be used to show the use of figurative language the book uses many onomatopoeia's to engage and describe the character's actions to the reader. The book also uses repetition to emphasize key details and tracking the character's actions. The character's actions are very important to the book, because of the character's actions another character perceived the actions and did another action in response. The book show cause and effect, and how things can evolve with one action. The repetition of each animal's actions show order and sequence and emphasize tracking.
  MeredithCox | Apr 4, 2017 |
I would use this book as a read aloud for a third and fourth grade class because I believe it will be an entertaining story and teach the students about sequence of events. I will have the main plot lines written out on strips of paper and before we read the story I will have the students make a prediction of how the story goes by placing the lines in the order they believe is correct. Then as we read the story we will compare the actual story to the prediction we made before we read. I would also use this book with a fourth grade class and have them create their own myth about why an animal acts the way they do similar to the story. The students will need to have their story written in the same style as the book and then be prepared to share their story. This activity will be a writing exercise that incorporates creativity and a chance to practice their reading fluency. ( )
  Jbrochu | Apr 2, 2017 |
Everyone knows that mosquitoes are annoying! But why are they always buzzing by your ear? Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale tells us why. The mosquito told such a lie to the iguana that the couldn't bear to listen to it and put sticks in his ears. After these actions snowball, one of Mother Owl's owlets is killed from a falling branch and she can't bear to call the sun. King Lion calls a meeting to get to the bottom of it. After we find out it's the mosquito's fault the antelope is sent to fetch him, but he is nowhere to be found. He spends the rest of his days wondering if everyone is still mad at him. He asks the humans, but they only swat at him.
  mercedeslillian | Mar 18, 2017 |
The message represented in this book is that you should be careful of your decisions, as it can have a lasting effect on others. I liked the book, the only thing I thought could have been better were the illustrations. For example, when the lion confronts the monkey on page 14, there are so many different shapes and colors going on its hard to differentiate between the animals. Therefore, because of the abstract illustrations, I feel kids will either be too distracted or simply become bored. However, I did enjoy the author’s use of repetitions and word play. Every time the lion confronted an animal, he repeated the sequence, for example, “it was the iguana who upset the python, who scared the rabbit, who startled the crow, who alarmed the monkey, who killed the owlet, and now mother won’t wake the sun so that the day can come.” The rhyming and repetition make up for the unappealing illustrations, in my opinion, and make the reading enjoyable. ( )
  thodge3 | Mar 2, 2017 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,414,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible