Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan

Cirque Du Freak (edition 2008)

by Darren Shan

Member:warbeast
Title:Cirque Du Freak
Authors:Darren Shan
Info:Harper Trophy Canada (2008), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****

Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan

English (68)  Spanish (1)  All languages (69)
Great book. The entire series , book 1-12 are a must- read! Although I love this series, his "Demonata" series is still my all time favorite! ( )
  darkonelh3730 | Dec 27, 2013 |
Why do so many kids love scary books? This is beyond my comprehension. Let's just set aside rationale and accept that this is true.

Cirque du Freak (at least book one) is a book that will (1) meet the need for a scary book and (2) not horrify grownups who worry about children reading things that cause permanent damage.

Got that? On the Scare-o-meter, Cirque falls into Scary but not quite Horrifying. ( )
  debnance | Nov 10, 2013 |
For YA they were good. Though sometimes I feel the author did a little too good of a job of capturing the voice of a 12y.o. narrator. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
I decided to read this book because I watched the movie and wanted to see how the book was.
Enter Darren Shan-a typical teenager with friends and a normal family who finds himself thrust into his destiny. In a desparate attempt to save his friend, he embarks onto a macabre journey into another world. the world of cirque De Freak.
A story of friendship in unlikely places with a touch of the macrabe to spice up your reading pleasure.
This was an easy read as it is Young Adult and I was able to finish quickly.
I would recommend this for kids 12 and up who like a little scare but not enough to cause nightmares.

earthwindwalker | Apr 10, 2013 |
My dear friend Hecate forced book two of this series on me to read. She loved them so much she demanded I read it to so, per her request, I borrowed the first book from the library.

As a creepy young adult book, I was not let down. This book made me shudder, gag, stare wide eyed at the pages and yell at the character for the stupid decisions he made. While the character made stupid decisions and life choices I did like the book a lot. The writing style is fluid and easy to read. The descriptions were well done and the creepy factor was spot on.

I would have loved this series when I was younger. If your kid or younger relative is into creepy and paranormal stories I would recommend this series to them. Though they may have nightmares for a while.

WARNING: do not read this book alone and late at night. ( )
  TheBigNerd | Feb 9, 2013 |
Este desmadre lleno de freaks jamás hubiera salido a la luz de no ser por los esfuerzos de mis leales ayudantes de “cocina”:

Biddy y Liam, ”La Horrible Pareja”
Doménica de Rosa “La Diabólica”
Gillie Russell “La Gruñona”
Enma “La Exterminadora” Schlesinger
y
“El Señor de la Noche Carmesí”, Christopher Little

También debo dar las gracias a mis compañeros de festín: Las “Horribles Criaturas” de Harper Collins, y los macabros alumnos de la Askeaton Primary School (y otras) que se prestaron a hacer de conejillos de indias y alimentaron mis pesadillas para hacer que este libro fuera de lo más tenso, oscuro y escalofriante.
I've always been fascinated by spiders.
Siempre me han fascinado las arañas.

This fantastic horror book is about a story of a young boy, called Darren. Darren is just an ordinary student who likes to play soccer. One weird thing about him is that he loves spiders. One day, Darren and his best friend Steve got to go to a mysterious show of Cirque Du Freak. At the show, Darren gets charmed by a huge spider named Madame Octa, and he steals the spider from its owner, Mr.Crepsley.
Unfortunately, when Steve came to play at Darren's home, Madame Octa bites Steve. The only person who has an antidote to Madame Octa's poison is Mr.Crepsley. Darren finally goes to visit Mr.Crepsley to ask for the antidote and he exchanges the antidote by his soul, becomes a half-vampire.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316605107, Paperback)

Anyone who loves the humorous but hair-raising horror in R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series will devour British author Darren Shan's first novel with equal zeal. Some books are born with a surrounding buzz; this one even has Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling's stamp of approval: "Fast-paced and compelling, full of satisfying macabre touches," she writes. Warner Brothers will be making it into a movie, and the rest of the series is already in the works. Given all that, you'd expect a tour de force! Really, though, Cirque Du Freak is a thrill ride that will keep even the most reluctant readers turning pages, but will never take its place in the literary canon.

Darren Shan, author and narrator, sets the book up as a true story, warning readers: "Real life's nasty. It's cruel.... Evil often wins." Indeed, evil begins to win when Darren and his buddies find a flier for "Cirque Du Freak," a traveling freak show promising performances by the snake-boy, the wolf-man, and Larten Crepsley and his giant spider, Madame Octa. Darren and his friend Steve wouldn't miss it for the world.

So, Saturday night they sneak out to the old theater, tall and dark, with broken windows. "Every act you see tonight is real," croaks Mr. Tall. "Each performer is unique. And none are harmless." That's for sure. (A werewolf bites off the hand of someone in the audience, for instance.) Things grow very serious for the two boys when Steve not only recognizes Mr. Crepsley as a famous vampire, but professes his true desire to join him! To make matters worse, the spider-obsessed Darren goes back to the old theater to steal Madame Octa so he can teach her tricks in his room. (He does, with mixed results.) The plot further coagulates as Darren is faced with some terrible decisions about what to do to save his bloodthirsty friend Steve.

Readers may be too enthralled to notice some clumsy editing (the aforementioned bitten-off hand is later referred to as an arm, Darren stops dead in his tracks when he's already stopped, etc.). They may also not notice that the boys constantly use adult-sounding expressions like "his breath stank to the high heavens," though the book is clearly set in the 21st century. If this book gets under your kids' skin (and it probably will), they're in luck--we haven't heard the last of the Saga of Darren Shan. (Ages 10 and older, not for the faint of heart) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:15 -0400)

Two boys who are best friends visit an illegal freak show, where an encounter with a vampire and a deadly spider forces them to make life-changing choices.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,342,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible