Abbot C by Georges Bataille

Abbot C (1949)

by Georges Bataille

This is the story of twin brothers, Robert, a pius priest, and Charles, a depraved libertine, who despite their character differences remain close. Both are attracted to a "loose" woman, Eponine, with whom Charles spends his time drinking and having sex. For her part, Eponine is attracted to the virtuous Robert, and she and Charles spend time plotting ways to seduce Robert. When Eponine and a fellow harlot show up in the front pew for mass one day, Robert breaks down mentally and emotionally. Simultaneously, Charles begins to deteriorate physically.

I never connected with this book. I found it very contrived, although well-written. It didn't educated me, and I did not derive any enjoyment from it. So, another one checked off the 1001 List, which says the novel fuses "Bataille's familiar fascination with the relationship between eroticism, death and sensuality, {and}...explores the thin line between sexual desire and morbidity." This analysis of the novel concludes, "Readers may find the treatment of this issue somewhat excessive and the contrived intention to shock somewhat heavy-handed, but this is still an engaging and unusual piece of writing."

2 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Mar 19, 2018 |

Georges Batailleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Facey, Philip A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I remember it precisely: the first time I saw Robert C..., I was in a painful state of anguish.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 071452848X, Paperback)

Told in a series of first-person accounts, L'Abbé C is a startling narrative about the intense and terrifying relationship between twin brothers. Charles is a modern libertine, dedicated to vice and depravity, while Robert is a priest so devout that he is nicknamed L'Abbé'. When the sexually wild Eponine intrudes upon their suffocating relationship, anguish, delirium, and death ensue.

Other works by Georges Bataille published by Marion Boyars include Blue of Noon and My Mother Madame Edwarda and the Dead Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:30 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,033,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible