Devil's Daughter: The Ravenels meet The…

Devil's Daughter: The Ravenels meet The Wallflowers (edition 2019)

by Lisa Kleypas (Author)

Series: The Ravenels (5), Wallflowers (7)

Although beautiful young widow Phoebe, Lady Clare, has never met West Ravenel, she knows one thing for certain: he's a mean, rotten bully. Back in boarding school, he made her late husband's life a misery, and she'll never forgive him for it. But when Phoebe attends a family wedding, she encounters a dashing and impossibly charming stranger who sends a fire-and-ice jolt of attraction through her. And then he introduces himself...as none other than West Ravenel. West is a man with a tarnished past. No apologies, no excuses. However, from the moment he meets Phoebe, West is consumed by irresistible desire...not to mention the bitter awareness that a woman like her is far out of his reach. What West doesn't bargain on is that Phoebe is no straitlaced aristocratic lady. She's the daughter of a strong-willed wallflower who long ago eloped with Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent--the most devilishly wicked rake in England. Before long, Phoebe sets out to seduce the man who has awakened her fiery nature and shown her unimaginable pleasure. Will their overwhelming passion be enough to overcome the obstacles of the past? Only the devil's daughter knows...  … (more)
Member:Rose9929
Title:Devil's Daughter: The Ravenels meet The Wallflowers
Authors:Lisa Kleypas (Author)
Info:Avon (2019), 384 pages

Devil's Daughter by Lisa Kleypas

Devil’s Daughter-Kleypas
Audio performance by M.J.Wells
3 stars

Weston Ravenel falls for a beautiful widow with two young children. Phoebe, Lady Claire is connected to the earlier Wallflower series. It’s been two years, Phoebe is thinking of another marriage. Her son is heir to a title and a vast estate. Who should she marry? There’s her dead husband’s top choice, his cousin, Edward Larson. Larson, the executor of her husband’s estate is bland, condescending and ...not as he seems. Weston Ravenel doesn’t really have any competition. The story unfolds predictably. ( )
  msjudy | Sep 21, 2020 |
Henry was a sickly, gentle child who was bullied in prep school primarily by West Ravenel. So, Phoebe, Henry's widow is prepared to loathe this man from her husband's past. However, she finds him far more attractive than she anticipated. West also steps in to teach her about managing her son's inheritance, but she finds that the current executor and her potential new betrothed may not be managing the estate in her best interest.
  4leschats | Jul 15, 2020 |
I'm pretty fond of Lisa Kleypas' historical romances and in particular anything that has to do with her Wallflowers series. With Sebastian and Evie being one of my favorite romantic duos ever, I was excited to see a book about the romance of their oldest daughter.

This book did not disappoint. I really enjoyed the romance between Phoebe and West. I thought they had good chemistry and enjoyed the book as a whole. I loved the addition of the children and "Galoshes" to the mix. Although it isn't an absolute "favorite" I'm very happy to have this story.

I know I've read at least one of the other Ravenel romances (West's brother's romance), but I had a hard time remembering it. I may try other ones of this particular series in the future. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Jul 13, 2020 |
Imagine me hovering between 3&4 stars. This book felt too strong for 3, but there were some choices I didn't love, along with others I did.

Also: excuse typos. I'm on my phone and away.

Shall I get the most controversial piece out of the way first? If West and Phoebe are sharing pages with Sebastian and Evie, proceed with caution. Phoebe and West started strong enough characters to do that, but in the end although I liked those bits Sebastian was constantly upstaging West. Call me crazy, but I want the hero to be the hero in his own book. Especially because West is no slouch.

Second issue: did the characters ever discuss anything other than each other with side characters? If they did, I don't remember it. Maybe there was some stuff on land management or something, but side relationships were quite weak and relied on previous novels.

Third issue: West's hesitation over his worthiness went on too long. If we aren't looking his mistakes in the face and they are two years in the past, it's ok to feature them as a baby bit. Instead, they became the tired conflict of every hero. In the end, I loved Phoebe's approach to this. (And also what she says)

Speaking of Phoebe. In prior books, she felt a little more like her father in humor at least. It didn't shine here. I actually would've loved to see a little more of her relationship to her parents.

The external conflict got a little messy. It was fine, but it was never a source of tension for me as a reader.

Now the good, which is much more fun, am I right?

The witty banter is back. Their first longer conversation in this book was fabulous. (And where she did smack of that prior Phoebe)

Henry, and everyone's relationship to Henry. Phoebe really loved Henry. There aren't really comparisons, just respect.

The kids. I know you all don't like kids in your romances, but I do, and I loved seeing the characters interact. It was also one of the things that made Phoebe's desire for West hard to ignore, and I think that really worked. Because it works for me too. There were lots of great moments featuring them.

Generally, West.

Also generally, Phoebe. She felt like a strong lead born and operating in her time. I won't say there was nothing outside that, but nothing as egregious as Garrett to my horribly unrefined HR eyes. In fact, was it just me or was her interest in managing the estate meet with more resistance than Garrett as a practicing physician?

Even though West's presence was swallowed whole and I was kind of annoyed, one if the final chapters and particularly with Sebastian giving permission that wasn't requested

I liked that Phoebe, in the end, was the architect of her own future. I think this might have been the choice in making her a widow, but it was really wonderful.

The little nods: there were a few-to Sebastian and Evie. It want overdone but there were a couple.

the shaving scene would easily be added to be favorite acts of love, on both their parts

And for crying out loud, that book.

It was solid. But it wasn't magic. It was underscored by a slightly weak external conflict and the characters didn't feel like they or their relationship had a lot of breathing room, but it, for me, felt like a reminder of why I read this author, particularly because this novel, while not her best, felt like growth. And maybe that's my issue with this series (growth often looks like a set back). But I didn't have it here. I do think it deserved 50 more pages, and it could've been magic. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I enjoyed this for the banter, I like that the hero wasn't alpha, which it seems like the majority of her heroes are (not a knock - her books are some of my favorites), but the end trailed off for me ( )
  expatb | Jun 8, 2020 |
added by AoifeT | editDear Author, Janine (Feb 25, 2019)

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Hampshire, England, 1877

Phoebe had never met West Ravenel, but she knew on thing for certain: He was a mean, rotten bully.

West is a man with a tarnished past. No apologies, no excuses. However, from the moment he meets Phoebe, West is consumed by irresistible desire...not to mention the bitter awareness that a woman like her is far out of his reach. What West doesn't bargain on is that Phoebe is no straitlaced aristocratic lady. She's the daughter of a strong-willed wallflower who long ago eloped with Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent—the most devilishly wicked rake in England.

Only the devil's daughter knows...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,846,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible