The Fred Factor: How Passion in Your Work…

The Fred Factor: How Passion in Your Work and Life Can Turn the Ordinary…

by Mark Sanborn

Great book! It's one of those books every employer should give to their employee when they commence work at their company. You also apply it to your personal life as well. ( )
  Mark_Oszoli | Nov 10, 2014 |
The Fred Factor is very powerful and rather short book written by a motivational speaker named Mark Sanborn. Most of the book is based on accounts he witnessed of his mail carrier, Fred. The author gives specific accounts of how Fred made the best and the most of his career – always going the extra mile. A co-worker and friend recently told me in order to be happy and feel accomplished, we must “bloom where we are planted”. I feel this expression totally suits the concept of being a “Fred” and this fine story.

The book also explains that we probably know some “Fred’s” already – using the name of his mail carrier to describe one who goes the extra mile, one who is kind, generous and friendly. He turned his every day career (which could be boring or repetitive) into an exciting adventure. The message conveyed I feel is to think of how the world would be if we went the extra mile for others or gave a little more. He also describes the composition of what he calls “a Fred”- saying he’s a Fred, she’s a Fred, be a fried, they're a Fred – you get the point.

This is definitely a book for the business professional or manager to read – the reason I picked it up. It is truly motivational and gets you thinking. It can also be labeled as self help, as the book really made me revisit the person that I am and the person I would ideally like to be. I highly recommend that every business professional read this book. I have tried exporting some of the concepts in the book and implement them in my life. I felt so good about myself and the situation that I could create by simply putting out what I want to receive through energy and attitude. ( )
  BriCarFla | Apr 12, 2011 |
This book is about a letter carrier who inspired Sanborn. Fred demonstrates the qualities of a servant with a heart. Sanborn writes about the difference we could all make in the lives of others as well as ourselves by going beyond what is expected in our service. This book is short and to the point, an easy read. ( )
  jodyebutler | Jul 15, 2009 |
I would classify this book as a self-help/motivation/inspiration title. Several yrs ago I attended a teleconference by mark Sanborn and his presentation was on the Fred factor. I finally picked up the book and I'm glad I did. This is a short, quick read but it gets straight to the point with out a lot of mumbo jumbo and psycoanalysis on how we can improve ourselves. Sanborn lays out the book clean and consise with a smooth flow of ideas and points to consider. Anyone that enjoys improving themselves and others will surely like this book. ( )
  realbigcat | Mar 4, 2009 |
In the tradition of great public speakers, this is the book version of Mark Sanborn's great speech that he has honed over hundreds of presentations. He has mined this idea and crystallized the ideas into a bit more than 100 pages.

The idea is a sound one. Live the life that you have with a passion. In an age that requires you to drip ennui, "been there, done that, go the T-shirt", Mark argues that a life lived with energy and for the right reasons will pay off with a joy that ennui can never approximate.

Fred the Postman is who we would all like to meet. We want him to be our postman, our waiter, our boss, our co-worker. He makes us feel better about life. Sanborn argues implicitly that "being a Fred" not only pays off for those Fred touches, but for Freds themselves.

Surrounded by a world that values so much sexual passion (though highly idealized and stilited into unreality), it is funny that we reward the world-weary attitude toward everything that lies outside of the bedroom. And we have discovered that we are happy neither in life nor in the bedroom. This disconnect is at the root of all sorts of unhappiness and evil.

Tolstoy discovered it when he saw the happiness of the peasants that he so longed for. Solomon saw it and commented on it in Ecclesiates. There is great joy in a job well done, people enlightened by our presence. Challenge yourself to do it that way. ( )
1 vote markmobley | Nov 24, 2006 |
To my sons, Hunter and Jack -- I'm proud to be your dad. To my wife, Darla -- I'm blessed to be your husband.
I first met a "Fred" just after purchasing what I called a "new" old house.

Meet Fred.

In his powerful new book The Fred Factor, motivational speaker Mark Sanborn recounts the true story of Fred, the mail carrier who passionately loves his job and who genuinely cares about the people he serves. Because of that, he is constantly going the extra mile handling the mail – and sometimes watching over the houses – of the people on his route, treating everyone he meets as a friend. Where others might see delivering mail as monotonous drudgery, Fred sees an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of those he serves.

We’ve all encountered people like Fred in our lives. In The Fred Factor, Mark Sanborn illuminates the simple steps each of us can take to transform our own lives from the ordinary – into the extraordinary. Sanborn, through stories about Fred and others like him, reveals the four basic principles that will help us bring fresh energy and creativity to our life and work: how to make a real difference everyday, how to become more successful by building strong relationships, how to create real value for others without spending a penny, and how to constantly reinvent yourself.

By following these principles, and by learning from and teaching other “Freds,” you, too, can excel in your career and make your life extraodinary. As Mark Sanborn makes clear, each of us has the potential be a Fred.The Fred Factor shows you how.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:16 -0400)

In his book The Fred Factor, Mark Sanborn recounts the true story of Fred, the mail carrier who passionately loves his job and who genuinely cares about the people he serves. Because of that, he is constantly going the extra mile handling the mail -- and sometimes watching over the houses -- of the people on his route, treating everyone he meets as a friend. Where others might see delivering mail as monotonous drudgery, Fred sees an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of those he serves. In The Fred Factor, Mark Sanborn illuminates the simple steps each of us can take to transform our own lives from the ordinary into the extraordinary. Sanborn, through stories about Fred and others like him, reveals the four basic principles that will help us bring fresh energy and creativity to our life and work: how to make a real difference everyday, how to become more successful by building strong relationships, how to create real value for others without spending a penny, and how to constantly reinvent yourself. By following these principles, and by learning from and teaching other "Freds," you, too, can excel in your career and make your life extraordinary. As Mark Sanborn makes clear, each of us has the potential be a Fred. The Fred Factor shows you how.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible