First Comes Marriage: My Not-So-Typical…

First Comes Marriage: My Not-So-Typical American Love Story (edition 2018)

by Huda Al-Marashi (Author)

16None949,538 (3)None
"A candid, heartfelt love story set in contemporary California that challenges the idea of what it means to be American, liberated, and in love"--
Member:ohlonelibrary
Title:First Comes Marriage: My Not-So-Typical American Love Story
Authors:Huda Al-Marashi (Author)
Info:Prometheus (2018), 297 pages

First Comes Marriage: My Not-So-Typical American Love Story by Huda Al-Marashi

Confessions of a Mail Order Bride: American Life Through Thai Eyes by Wanwadee Larsen (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: Both books are about arranged marriages among Americans with different cultural backgrounds
    Love InshAllah by Nura Maznavi (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: Both books are accounts of love and marriage among American Muslim women.

No reviews

Huda Al-Marashiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cali, GregAuthor photographsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chimovitz, MissyCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mills, LizCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
And among His signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect.

-- Quran 30:21
To my husband
I poured over my old journals and emails in writing this memoir, but what follows on these pages is still its own kind of fiction.  (Author's note)
I cannot remember a time when I didn't think of Hadi Radha as a potential husband.
Some of the material in the book has been previously published:

'Chapter 5: Beaten by Devotion adapted from Huda Al-Marashi, "Beaten by Devotion," in Beyond Belief: The Secret Lives of Women in Extreme Religions, ed. Susan Give and Cami Ostman (Berkely, CA: Seal Press, 2013)

Chapter 11: Lunch Company adapted from Huda Al-Marashi, "Is This a Date?" in Hippocampus Magazine, May 1, 2014.

Chapter 14: Say it Loud adapted from Huda Al-Marashi, "Otherwise Engaged," in Love, InshAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women, ed. Ayeshu Mattu and Nura Maznavi (Berkely, CA: Soft Skull Press, 2012)'  from the T.p.

Contents:

Husband potential -- Muslim love -- A girl like that won't stay -- A small island of unity -- Beaten by devotion -- A divine crystal ball -- This American rite of passage -- See me at the prom -- A big family secret -- Marching toward marriage -- Lunch company -- A sudden thrill of control -- The engagement of our children -- Say it loud -- Sins for no good reason -- Every choke, sob, and sniffle -- The sting of regret -- Women in Islam -- A day for me and the girls -- The proof of our youth -- Crises A, B, and C -- A bride is with us -- Love her, boy, love her -- Biology -- A big, fat Arab stereotype -- Trying to make a life -- The aspiring doctor's wife -- An edible identification card -- I love Huda.doc -- A matter of life and death and God himself -- Shia heretic -- The love I missed -- A family of three -- How to fix Hadi and me -- Fictions of love -- As if by magic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible