Bloom by Kevin Panetta

Bloom (edition 2019)

by Kevin Panetta (Author), Savanna Ganucheau (Illustrator)

"Baked with love! Now that high school is over, Ari is dying to move to the big city with his ultra-hip band--if he can just persuade his dad to let him quit his job at their struggling family bakery. Though he loved working there as a kid, Ari cannot fathom a life wasting away over rising dough and hot ovens. But while interviewing candidates for his replacement, Ari meets Hector, an easygoing guy who loves baking as much as Ari wants to escape it. As they become closer over batches of bread, love is ready to bloom...that is, if Ari doesn't ruin everything."--Page [2] of cover.… (more)
Member:bibliovermis
Title:Bloom
Authors:Kevin Panetta (Author)
Other authors:Savanna Ganucheau (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2019), 368 pages
Collections:2019, Your library
Tags:comic, fiction, family, relationships, romance, lgbtqia, bildungsroman, cooking

Bloom by Kevin Panetta

This was a great book, story and art. The illustrations were amazing throughout. I really really liked seeing the relationship bloom between Ari and Hector (meaning the flowers on the pages when their relationship grew and grew). Ari was a little annoying at first but he eventually grew on me. Super cute ending! ( )
  booklover3258 | Nov 13, 2019 |
I have wanted to read this graphic novel for some time and was excited to see it at the library. This ended up being a sweet, engaging, and heartfelt read that I enjoyed a lot.

Ari desperately wants to move to the city with his band, but his dad desperately needs Ari’s help to keep the family bakery going Ari decides to hire a replacement to help his dad, after a bunch of absolutely awful interviews he meets Hector. Hector absolutely loves baking and having Hector around might be even better for Ari than he knows.

This was a very cute, funny, and sweet book about Ari trying to figure out what he wants out of life. I loved all the baking in here and the way that Ari’s family interacts. Ari can be annoying at times but he is also very sincere. Hector is another amazing character and the pure joy he brings to the bakery is fun to watch.

The illustration was unique, fun to look at, and easy to follow. I enjoyed both the illustration and the story a lot.

Overall this was a wonderful, feel good graphic novel about finding your way and falling in love. I loved a lot of the elements around baking, family, and love that featured in this book. I would recommend to those who enjoy sweet books about family and falling in love and don’t mind GLBT content. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 28, 2019 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

This book is super cute! It’s a casual MM romance that deals more with adjusting to life out of high school and figuring out what you want, and how to get it. So if you prefer your romance light, this could be a good pick for you. To be honest, I was hoping for more smooching.

Hector is adorable and talented and immediately lovable. Someone I would definitely want to be friends with. He’s clearly a very positive person and does his best to bring up those around him. Ari, on the other hand, is a prick. I’m sorry! He does have some growth at the end, but like, the very end. I really wanted to slap him. Totally a realistic character and I could understand where he was coming from, but my gourd. Hector’s too good for him.

That aside, I still loved this and would recommend it for anyone looking for a sort of slice-of-life, low-key MM romance, struggles-of-growing-up, bakery-appreciation graphic novel! There’s even a real live bread recipe in the back and a playlist. I will definitely keep my eye out for more from these two! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Apr 9, 2019 |
I am such a sucker for sweet little romances involving cooking. (See also: Meal by Blue Delliquanti.) Sure, one of them is practically a saint and the other is quite a bit annoying, but it totally worked for me. ( )
  villemezbrown | Mar 30, 2019 |
Please see my review on Amazon.com under C.Wong. Thank you. ( )
  Carolee888 | Mar 2, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible