The Accidental Further Adventures of the…

The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man: A Novel (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Jonas Jonasson (Author)

Member:adam.koprowski
Title:The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man: A Novel
Authors:Jonas Jonasson (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2019), 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read-2018, fiction

The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man: A Novel by Jonas Jonasson (2018)

Recently added byrena75, juenta, dkb, buffygurl, lisbethc

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man by Jonas Jonasson (translated by Rachel Willson-Broyles) is the second novel featuring Allan Karlsson, a reluctant anti-hero going through life, involving himself and influencing world matters. This is a follow up to Mr. Jonasson’s best seller The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared.

Allan Karlsson is celebrating his 101st birthday with a hot air balloon trip his friend Julius has arranged for him, eventually they get lost a sea and get involved in a plot to smuggle uranium into North Korea.

As many of the world’s leaders are obsessed with either getting nukes, or keeping nukes out of the hands of others, Allan and Julius become persons which can shape events. Hobnobbing with President Trump, Kim Jun-Un, Putin and Angela Merkel, the two put their accidental stamp on world events.

I have enjoyed the first book, The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared tremendously so when I was offered to read the second part I, of course, jumped on the chance. In the follow up novel The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man by Jonas Jonasson (translated by Rachel Willson-Broyles), the author brings back Allan along with some friends to accidentally help shape up events which touch us all.

This book was enjoyable, but I still enjoyed the first one much better. This novel did not enjoy the hindsight an analysis which could only be found when one looks at history with knowledge of its future (our present). Since this book takes place in current times, it lacks this feature which, to me, was a valuable aspect of the former.

Mr. Jonasson is writing of a world where comedy is just a step away from a tragedy, sadly he is taking his story from the current headlines. A cynical person like myself is not surprised, reading the news and analysis of both right and left talking heads, I do see the improbable as probable and understand Mr. Jonasson was writing of the current reality, since if it was fictional, no one would believe it.

Allan meets many actors of the world’s stage, as much as our world is hyped, the author takes the believability factor a notch higher, but one still wants to know how Allan will get out of the jam. Much like Marvel Comics’ Domino – Allan has a superpower of “luck”.

The book is funny, but because we are living the comedy, I found it much darker. The author tells of things how he sees them, he does not bother with political correctness (it is clear he does not like the world leaders he writes about, even though President Trump and Kim Jun-Un get the brunt of his ire) or any sort of balance. Unfortunately, the world moves so fast that this book will become outdated soon enough… so I’m looking forward to #3. ( )
  ZoharLaor | Feb 4, 2019 |
The hundred-year-old man is now hundred-and-one, but still able to get involved with any and all high level politicians, and influence history and what happens to 404 kilos of enriched uranium. This is very funny now, but probably has a shorter half-life than Jonasson's other books as it plays on recent world events. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Aug 26, 2018 |
Met De 100-jarige man die terug kwam om de wereld te redden zet Jonas Jonasson het verhaal voort dat hij begon met De 100-jarige man die uit het raam klom en verdween. Ook deze keer weten Allan Karlsson en zijn vriend Julius weer op de meest bizarre manieren betrokken te raken bij belangrijke gebeurtenissen in wereldpolitiek. Ook deze keer staat de schelmenroman weer boordevol met hilarische avonturen….lees verder >

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jonas Jonasson's book The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred Year Old Man is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,368,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible