Superman/Batman: Public Enemies by Jeph Loeb
The popular superheroes join forces to thwart evil President Lex Luthor's plan to try an innocent Superman for crimes against humanity.

This book mesh these two characters together in a way that clearly showed their friendship, their differences, and why there is a need for both of them in the DC Universe. I decided to read this series primarily because I haven't enjoyed much coming out of the NEW 52 relaunch and as a result I had stepped away from comics entirely. I wanted to test the waters to see if it was just the new stuff I wasn't enjoying or if it was comics in general that had taken on a lackluster quality. I discovered while not my favorite comic book story that it is indeed just the new stuff. This gives me hope!

I finished this pretty much in one sitting because it was interesting to see the back and forth between the big two of the DC Universe. They were written in a delightful manner by Jeph Loeb because he understands that while they are different there are still ideas and concepts that squarely make them similar. The situations with their parents, their desire for justice. These elements are the same with just their own individual twist. These were explored and made whole by Loeb's writing style.

I loved a line as well from the book which was "Why don't the "Good" villains ever die", which was asked by Superman. While we know about why from a reader perspective it is something you question if you think of this as a world. Why doesn't Joker ever get killed? and I mean REALLY KILLED!!! not that comic of the week crap where it looks like he blew up. The good guys are defined by their bad guys.

The book is delightful because it explores what happens when one of their villains becomes a prominent member of American society. Superheroes have to align with him that wouldn't have. Superheroes have to try to follow his orders. The joys of a well-written story and to top it all off you can tell this was the beginning of Villains United for the classic and great Infinite Crisis that was released from DC. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
I watched the animated movie that was based on this graphic novel a million years ago but never thought to read the book until it was a book club pick for my graphic novel reading group. Unfortunately b/c I was familiar with it and it follows the movie pretty closely I had a hard time looking at it with fresh eyes. It's interesting to see how the big two feel about each other, what they think the other is thinking and when they're right about each other vs. when they are wrong about each other. ( )

Jeph Loebprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGuinness, EdIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sale, TimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, DaveColorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vines, DexterInkssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Originally produced in single magazine form in Superman/Batman #1-6 and Superman/Batman Secret Files 2003.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,752,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible