A Question Of Upbringing (Dance to the Music…

A Question Of Upbringing (Dance to the Music of Time 01) (original 1951; edition 2005)

by Anthony Powell

7142113,199 (3.63)1 / 102
Title:A Question Of Upbringing (Dance to the Music of Time 01)
Authors:Anthony Powell
Info:Arrow (2005), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Owned - Kindle Copy, Read, Your library
Tags:1001 Books, A Dance to the Music of Time

A Question of Upbringing by Anthony Powell (1951)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
The first of Anthony Powell's epic 12 volume saga, this is a nice introduction, but little more. This first book focusses on our narrator, one Nick Jenkins, and his youthful adventures in a series of vignettes serving to introduce us to a host of characters, and their place in post WWI British society.

The writing is, befitting a classic, very good -a dry, sometimes bordering on sardonic style, with some simply gorgeous turns of phrase and even entire paragraphs.

As a standalone novel, it's not very strong. However, knowing there are 11 more novels to come, covering Nick's entire life, there is a very strong sense of all the pieces being set up on a board. I thought perhaps a chessboard, but it's more complex than even that really, more like watching a master set up one of those huge and intricate domino falls. It's mesmerising to watch, but it's only a precursor to the real action - and just because you can see the patterns already, doesn't mean that something surprising and wonderful won't happen when the dominoes begin to fall.

So 3 stars, because as much as I liked it, I didn't love it... but I have a feeling I will come to love this series as a whole. I also suspect, there is much richness and foreshadowing that would be found upon a re-read, once I've finished all 12 books. I have a feeling that after this book club read, one novel a month for all of 2016, I may very well be turning around and re-reading them all from the start again.
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
A good start. I liked this book. Interesting that we see the world through Jenkins eyes, and so we learn a lot more about the people in his life, and just a little about his. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
This is the first book in a 12 book serial novel where the main characters are introduced. It is a very enjoyable read with lots of humor and wit and has a great sense of time and place that leaves you wanting to read more. I'm looking forward to Book 2 in order to see where the story is headed next. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Book 1. Rating and review to come at the end of the 12 volume book. ( )
  JenPrim | Jan 15, 2016 |
A Question of Upbringing Anthony Powell

Book 1 in the Dance to the Music of time series

This book introduces us to the narrator Jenkins as a school boy when he is finding his feet with his friends Stringham and Templer and the outsider Widmerpool it covers his going up to University and making friends with Don Siller who has a gathering of students he takes under his wing.

There is not really a lot to say about this book as when you look back over what you have read not a lot has actually happened
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

Powell, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, JarkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leistra, AukeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The men at work at the corner of the street had made a kind of a camp for themselves, where, marked out by tripods hung with red hurricane-lamps, an abyss in the road led down to a network of subterranean drainpipes.
The "Dance to the Music of Time (Seasons)" are omnibus editions

Who is Widmerpool? This question is to dog Nicholas Jenkins from the time he watched his awkward schoolmate on a solitary crosscountry run. Unexceptional, unsmart, even unpopular, Widmerpool drops in and out of Jenkins life as he moves from school to university and London society. It is the 1920s, and Englands gilded youth has begun its dance to the music of time.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,779,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible