OLIVER TWIST by CHARLES DICKENS

Title:OLIVER TWIST
Authors:CHARLES DICKENS
Info:Collins Clear Type. Leatherette in slipcover
Collections:Read in 2008, Your library

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (1837)

1001 (71) 1001 books (66) 19th century (435) 19th century literature (51) British (209) British literature (227) Charles Dickens (90) classic (703) classic fiction (72) Classic Literature (92) classics (615) Dickens (227) ebook (71) England (207) English (119) English literature (248) fiction (1,683) Kindle (69) literature (421) London (165) novel (327) orphan (59) orphans (156) own (67) poverty (105) read (123) Roman (60) to-read (187) unread (112) Victorian (223)
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Leishai)
    Tom Jones by Henry Fielding (Zabeth)
    Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Unauthorised sequel about the life of the Artful Dodger as an adult when he returns to England.
    The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti (derelicious)
    The Adventures of Nathaniel Swubble: The Story of a Parish Boy's Childhood by Lilian Margaret Spencer (millylitre)

English (109)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (118)
Dear FSM! What a hard read this was -- and I didn't even read it, I listened to it on audiobook during my commute. I've seen several movie adaptations of this book - NONE of them capture the dark, depressing rone that this book sets. Read it if you're looking for a challenge.

Audiobook. ( )
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Beautiful, flowing language ( )
  WendyBlott | Mar 11, 2014 |
One of my favorite Dickens novels, and Simon Vance's narration does it justice :)

I have read this book several times, but the last time was maybe 25 years ago. The basic plot is (I hope!) well-known but I was surprised by how much of the details I had forgotten. What I hadn't forgotten, and enjoyed just as much this time around, was Dickens mordant sarcasm ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 8, 2014 |
I admit that I've been avoiding Dickens for quite a while now. My experience with him, aside from a few illustrated, abridged children's versions, consists of two encounters: A Christmas Carol (easy and short) and Hard Times (not that easy, not as short, although shorter than most of his books). I was quite disinterested in subjecting myself to more Dickens after Hard Times - so much so that Oliver Twist was my first tentative foray into his works since 1990. Whether I've just grown up, or grown more patient, or read more 19th century novels since those days, I was pleasantly surprised to find that reading Oliver Twist was not the torturous experience I was convinced it would be.

There's no point in discussing the plot, since everyone knows it. But I found Oliver himself kind of annoyingly limp and high-strung. I guess that's to be expected when you're doing a classic good vs. evil setup. Evil is just always much more interesting than good. But a surprising amount of the book doesn't really involve Oliver all that much, except as a pawn everyone else is trying to do something with. Some of the turns in the plot, I didn't see coming (no, I've never seen a movie/musical version), so that was kind of fun. Also, I enjoyed the amount of snide social commentary that Dickens worked in. The worst part was probably my frustration that after everything was over, there was still a "wrapping up" chapter to go, but I suppose that's pretty standard with this sort of book.

I'll be less hesitant approaching the next Dickens book, although I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast either.

Recommended for: Dickens-o-phobes, fans of melodrama and mustache-twirling.

Quote: "He had a decided propensity for bullying: derived no inconsiderable pleasure from the exercise of petty cruelty; and, consequently, was (it is needless to say) a coward. This is by no means a disparagement to his character; for many official personages, who are held in high respect and admiration, are the victims of similar infirmities. The remark is made, indeed, rather in his favour than otherwise, and with a view of impressing the reader with a just sense of his qualifications for office." ( )
  ursula | Feb 18, 2014 |
Finally getting to the end of these rambling Victorian sagas, it's easy to be infuriated at the ludicrous revelations and disclosures, legacies and dying wishes that tie it all benevolently up, that subdue all the vitality and humour of the characters with the saccharine promise of a bland and safe future. Because the rogues and oddities usually do make for the best scenes. But whatever the quibbles, Dickens' heartiness and sentiment wins us over. The dull worthiness and small role of the title character, Oliver, is another surprise; you could forget he's in it at times. But there's always enough that us going on: eccentric characters, evocative descriptions, memorable set-pieces. And of course the rousing versions in song and stage that come after: "We've taken to you so strong..." ( )
  eglinton | Jan 13, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a supplement

Has as a student's study guide

Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch as it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.
Please, sir, I want some more.
If the law supposes that, the law is a ass-- a idiot.
What have paupers to do with soul or spirit? It's quite enough that we let 'em have live bodies.
"We have none of us long to wait for Death. Patience, patience! He'll be here soon enough for us all."
This is the main work for the book Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos) with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

The story of the orphan Oliver, who runs away from the workhouse only to be taken in by a den of thieves, shocked readers when it was first published. Dickens's tale of childhood innocence beset by evil depicts the dark criminal underworld of a London peopled by vivid and memorable characters—the arch-villain Fagin, the artful Dodger, the menacing Bill Sikes and the prostitute Nancy. Combining elements of Gothic Romance, the Newgate Novel and popular melodrama, Dickens created an entirely new kind of fiction, scathing in its indictment of a cruel society, and pervaded by an unforgettable sense of threat and mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:55 -0400)

Scathing in its indictment of a cruel society and pervaded by a sense of threat and mystery, this novel is peopled with some of the most famous characters in literature. Elements of the Gothic Romance jostle with those of the Newgate novel and popular melodrama forging a style entirely Dickens'.… (more)

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439742, 0140439447, 0451529715, 0141031719, 0141322438, 0141192496, 0141198885

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible