Oliver Twist (Bantam Classics) by Charles…

Oliver Twist (Bantam Classics) (edition 1982)

by Charles Dickens

Member:kgriffith
Title:Oliver Twist (Bantam Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Bantam Classics (1982), Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:a, classics

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Unauthorised sequel about the life of the Artful Dodger as an adult when he returns to England.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Leishai)
    Tom Jones by Henry Fielding (swampygirl)
    The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti (derelicious)
    The Adventures of Nathaniel Swubble: The Story of a Parish Boy's Childhood by Lilian Margaret Spencer (millylitre)
    The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Another look at Victorian corruption and crime. More comprehensive and more sinister.

English (153)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (169)
FINALLY! ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
It had been many years since I read Charles Dickens, but this is pretty much exactly what I remember of him. This was a classic story where the good guys end up being good, and the bad guys end up being bad. The writing style and the atmosphere are where Dickens makes his money, and I loved being transported back to 19th century London. The story itself was not really a page-turner for me, but I did enjoy the characters enough to have no trouble getting through the novel. I will certainly be reading more of Dickens. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Match found in the German National Library.
  glsottawa | Apr 4, 2018 |
Still one of my favorite books. I loved rereading it. I read it the first time in Jr. High. The power of the words is even greater today. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
seemed really predictable, hackneyed, lacking dimension. Oddly, the movie is so much better. ( )
  margaretfield | Jan 22, 2018 |
Oliver Twist, a meek, mild young boy, is born in the workhouse and spends his early years there until, finding the audacity to ask for more food, he is made to leave. Apprenticed to an undertaker by Mr Bumble, Oliver runs away in desperation and falls in with Fagin and his gang of thieves where he begins his new life in the criminal underworld.

Under the tutelage of the satanic Fagin, the brutal Bill Sikes and the wily Artful Dodger, Oliver learns to survive, although he is destined not to stay with Fagin but to find his own place in the world.

With its terrifying evocation of the hypocrisy of the wealthy and the depths to which poverty pushes the human spirit, Oliver Twist is both a fascinating examination of evil and a poignant moving novel for all times.
added by letonia | editPenguin Popular Classics

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch as it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.
Please, sir, I want some more.
If the law supposes that, the law is a ass-- a idiot.
What have paupers to do with soul or spirit? It's quite enough that we let 'em have live bodies.
"We have none of us long to wait for Death. Patience, patience! He'll be here soon enough for us all."
This is the main work for the book Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos) with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

The story of the orphan Oliver, who runs away from the workhouse only to be taken in by a den of thieves, shocked readers when it was first published. Dickens's tale of childhood innocence beset by evil depicts the dark criminal underworld of a London peopled by vivid and memorable characters—the arch-villain Fagin, the artful Dodger, the menacing Bill Sikes and the prostitute Nancy. Combining elements of Gothic Romance, the Newgate Novel and popular melodrama, Dickens created an entirely new kind of fiction, scathing in its indictment of a cruel society, and pervaded by an unforgettable sense of threat and mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

Tells the story of a poor orphan's adventures in the criminal underworld of mid-nineteenth-century London.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439742, 0451529715, 0141031719, 0141322438, 0141192496, 0141198885

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,096,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible