Oliver Twist (Vintage Classics) by Charles…

Oliver Twist (Vintage Classics) (edition 2008)

by Charles Dickens, George Cruikshank (Illustrator)

Member:kentishbookworm
Title:Oliver Twist (Vintage Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:George Cruikshank (Illustrator)
Info:Random House UK (2008), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Leishai)
    Tom Jones by Henry Fielding (swampygirl)
    Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Unauthorised sequel about the life of the Artful Dodger as an adult when he returns to England.
    The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti (derelicious)
    The Adventures of Nathaniel Swubble: The Story of a Parish Boy's Childhood by Lilian Margaret Spencer (millylitre)

English (125)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (137)
Not my favourite Dickens novel (that would be Tale of Two Cities), but I do love how 'it all comes together in the end'. Fagin and Dodger are such a memorable characters, Oliver was a bit of a drip though. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I don’t really feel as though I can say much about this classic. Such a fun read, and well deserving of its standing as a legacy of literature. I love the villains – Mr. Bumble, Fagan and Sikes. Nothing quite like a Dickens’ villain. ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 29, 2016 |
Wow, this was the worst Dickens I've read. The narative rambled and was quite boring; Oliver was a wimp. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
With the exception of A Christmas Carol, which I read every year, I have never read any Dickens, so I was determined that 2013 was definitely the year I would read at least one! I decided to start with Oliver Twist as I was familiar with the fundamental story. I was quite concerned about the ‘wordiness’ of Dickens but I soon relaxed into the writing (which was actually easy to follow, despite my worries!) and I really, really enjoyed it.

I think most people are familiar with the basic story of Oliver - the young orphan, born illegitimately and sent to live in the workhouse - who runs away and gets in with Fagin’s gang - but there is so much more to the story than this. And of course, Dickens creates characters that come alive, and paints a vivid picture of London life.

I did find it hard to read Dickens’ constant referrals of Fagin as ‘the Jew’. I know that this language was more acceptable when Dickens was writing than it is now, and is in a similar vein to the way I feel about reading the word ‘nigger’ in texts like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – it definitely shouldn’t be censored or changed – but I think most readers would find it hard to stomach the same being written today. I was rather surprised at Fagin’s characterisation – of course, in the film Oliver! he’s portrayed as a loveable rogue! I knew from the Roman Polanski version that the book would be much darker than Lionel Bart’s version – and of course the musical was never going to be true to the book, but Fagin’s depiction just didn’t sit well with me, despite, as I’ve said, me understanding that it was ‘of its time’. However, it didn’t spoil my enjoyment of this wonderful book and Oliver Twist has definitely whet my appetite for more Dickens!
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
Oliver Twist, a meek, mild young boy, is born in the workhouse and spends his early years there until, finding the audacity to ask for more food, he is made to leave. Apprenticed to an undertaker by Mr Bumble, Oliver runs away in desperation and falls in with Fagin and his gang of thieves where he begins his new life in the criminal underworld.

Under the tutelage of the satanic Fagin, the brutal Bill Sikes and the wily Artful Dodger, Oliver learns to survive, although he is destined not to stay with Fagin but to find his own place in the world.

With its terrifying evocation of the hypocrisy of the wealthy and the depths to which poverty pushes the human spirit, Oliver Twist is both a fascinating examination of evil and a poignant moving novel for all times.
added by letonia | editPenguin Popular Classics

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch as it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.
Please, sir, I want some more.
If the law supposes that, the law is a ass-- a idiot.
What have paupers to do with soul or spirit? It's quite enough that we let 'em have live bodies.
"We have none of us long to wait for Death. Patience, patience! He'll be here soon enough for us all."
This is the main work for the book Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos) with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

The story of the orphan Oliver, who runs away from the workhouse only to be taken in by a den of thieves, shocked readers when it was first published. Dickens's tale of childhood innocence beset by evil depicts the dark criminal underworld of a London peopled by vivid and memorable characters—the arch-villain Fagin, the artful Dodger, the menacing Bill Sikes and the prostitute Nancy. Combining elements of Gothic Romance, the Newgate Novel and popular melodrama, Dickens created an entirely new kind of fiction, scathing in its indictment of a cruel society, and pervaded by an unforgettable sense of threat and mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

Scathing in its indictment of a cruel society and pervaded by a sense of threat and mystery, this novel is peopled with some of the most famous characters in literature. Elements of the Gothic Romance jostle with those of the Newgate novel and popular melodrama forging a style entirely Dickens'.… (more)

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439742, 0140439447, 0451529715, 0141031719, 0141322438, 0141192496, 0141198885, 1409311252

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,050,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible