Oliver Twist (Barnes & Noble Classics) by…

Oliver Twist (Barnes & Noble Classics) (original 1837; edition 2004)

by Charles Dickens, Jill Muller (Introduction)

Member:grizzlymtdude1
Title:Oliver Twist (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Jill Muller (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2004), Paperback, 512 pages

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (1837)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Leishai)
    Tom Jones by Henry Fielding (swampygirl)
    Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Unauthorised sequel about the life of the Artful Dodger as an adult when he returns to England.
    The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti (derelicious)
    The Adventures of Nathaniel Swubble: The Story of a Parish Boy's Childhood by Lilian Margaret Spencer (millylitre)

English (116)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (127)
The overall ideas of Oliver Twist are intriguing, but the antisemitism and sometimes overlong style made it a slog to get through at some points. Also, most of these people are either terrible or not focused on enough. ( )
  jwarbler | Mar 15, 2015 |
This book is about a hard-working orphan in New England named Oliver Twist. In the story, he travels from workhouse to workhouse, and finally he escapes to London. Later, he kidnapped by a group of bad guys who try to steal handkerchiefs from rich people. One day, Oliver goes with the bad guys, and finds out that they are trying to steal things. Then, Oliver ends up with a man who is very nice to him and takes care of him. But later on, they spilt up again and find each other and capture the bad guys.
I like this book because it is about an orphan who takes a risk to explore the world beyond him to seek for a place to belong with. ( )
  AB4Books | Jan 8, 2015 |
كتب كتاب "أوليفر تويست" بأسلوب شائق وبسياق أدبي مم​يز، مليء بالمفاجآت والمغامرات التي تشد القارئ إلى ​متابعة سير أحداثها بشوق وشغف. فهي تحكي قصة "أوليفر​ تويست" الطفل الصغير الذي عاش ضحية مجتمعه الفاسد، ​فكافح المصاعب، وتحمل المشقات، ولكن القدر كان أقوى ​منه فأوقعه في أيدي جماعة من اللصوص لتستخدمه في تحق​يق أغراضها الشريرة، ولكن الخير أقوى من الشر، ولا ب​د لهذا الصغير أن يتحرر وينتصر على المؤتمرات ليستقب​ل من جديد الحياة بوجه جديد، وإرادة صلبة، ليعيش حرا​ ( )
  Emanalqutaibi | Dec 31, 2014 |
There were parts of this book that I really enjoyed. In the latter chapters, the action picked up and Dickens did a great job of keeping the intensity up and leading the reader along, something I imagine would be especially important for a book published in episodes.

I also liked how innocent Oliver was, always trying to do the right thing despite the circumstances. He seemed a little too good to be true, but I liked him so much, I didn't mind that he was a bit unbelievable. He just had so much spirit.

One thing I don't quite understand in a lot of these 19th-century books is how easily people fall ill. Emotional strain or just a walk in the cold can put them into fits or lay them low with a life-threatening fever. Were people back then really that delicate, or were the pathogens present in 19th-century London just so dangerous and ready to pounce that people were always a head cold away from death? What were these mysterious fevers people were always getting?

The most unpleasant part about the book is Dickens's insistence on referring to Fagin primarily as "The Jew". According to the notes at the end of my version, Dickens responded to critics who claimed his portrayal of Fagin was anti-Semitic by saying that at the time the story took place, most of those in Fagin's line of work were Jews. I don't know if this is true or not, but the way that he calls him "The Jew" at least as often as he calls him by name suggests that he's actually saying he's in that line of work because he's Jewish, which is a very different thing than just saying he's in that line of work and happens to be Jewish.

In addition, there's a scene in which Oliver sees Fagin and shouts, "The Jew! The Jew!" It seemed strange to me that Oliver would have referred to him like that because I thought other characters generally referred to Fagin by name, and Oliver would have done the same.

And then there's the way that Dickens time and again describes Fagin in ways that suggest he's less than human, like in chapter 47 when Dickens says that Fagin "disclosed among his toothless gums a few such fangs as should have been a dog's or rat's." I don't recall Dickens comparing other non-Jewish characters to animals in this way.

I also considered the possibility that Dickens was just writing about Fagin as the culture at the time would have seen him, but I could buy this notion a lot better if these nasty things were said only by other characters in the story, but by and large, it's not other characters who are saying these things; it's our narrator (whom I read as Dickens). All of this suggests to me that Dickens's portrayal of Fagin wasn't merely a reflection of the demographics of a particular type of criminal in London at that time but truly was (and is) anti-Semitic.

But aside from this admittedly very large part of the book, I enjoyed the story. I nearly always enjoy Dickens's dark storytelling and psychologically tormented characters, and I find the female characters in his book refreshingly strong-willed (refreshing because not every strong-willed woman is punished for it (though most of them are)).
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
There were certain points in the story where I found it hard to follow what was going on. I found the ending especially confusing. But other than that, I enjoyed the story. I plan on watching a couple movie renditions to see if I can better understand what was going on. ( )
  boredness | Oct 26, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a supplement

Has as a student's study guide

Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch as it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.
Please, sir, I want some more.
If the law supposes that, the law is a ass-- a idiot.
What have paupers to do with soul or spirit? It's quite enough that we let 'em have live bodies.
"We have none of us long to wait for Death. Patience, patience! He'll be here soon enough for us all."
This is the main work for the book Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos) with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

The story of the orphan Oliver, who runs away from the workhouse only to be taken in by a den of thieves, shocked readers when it was first published. Dickens's tale of childhood innocence beset by evil depicts the dark criminal underworld of a London peopled by vivid and memorable characters—the arch-villain Fagin, the artful Dodger, the menacing Bill Sikes and the prostitute Nancy. Combining elements of Gothic Romance, the Newgate Novel and popular melodrama, Dickens created an entirely new kind of fiction, scathing in its indictment of a cruel society, and pervaded by an unforgettable sense of threat and mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:55 -0400)

Scathing in its indictment of a cruel society and pervaded by a sense of threat and mystery, this novel is peopled with some of the most famous characters in literature. Elements of the Gothic Romance jostle with those of the Newgate novel and popular melodrama forging a style entirely Dickens'.… (more)

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439742, 0140439447, 0451529715, 0141031719, 0141322438, 0141192496, 0141198885, 1409311252

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,162,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible