Opposite of Always by Justin A. Reynolds

Opposite of Always (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Justin A. Reynolds (Author)

'One of the best love stories I've ever read.' Angie Thomas, bestselling author of The Hate U Give. From debut author justin a. reynolds comes The Opposite of Always, a razor-sharp, hilarious and heartfelt novel about the choices we make, the people we choose and the moments that make life worth reliving. Perfect for fans of Nicola Yoon and John Green. When Jack and Kate meet at a party, he knows he's falling - hard. Soon she's meeting his best friends and Kate wins them over as easily as she did Jack. But then Kate dies. And their story should end there. Yet Kate's death sends Jack back to the beginning, the moment they first meet, and Kate's there again. Healthy, happy, and charming as ever. Jack isn't sure if he's losing his mind. Still, if he has a chance to prevent Kate's death, he'll take it. Even if that means believing in time travel. However, Jack will learn that his actions are not without consequences. And when one choice turns deadly for someone else close to him, he has to figure out what he's willing to do to save the people he loves. 'Read this one, reread it, and then hug it to your chest.' Becky Albertalli, bestselling author of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda… (more)
Member:LeicesterMSLibrary
Title:Opposite of Always
Authors:Justin A. Reynolds (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2019), Edition: 1st, 464 pages
Collections:New Books 2017/2018

Opposite of Always by Justin A. Reynolds (2019)

I'm waiting for you
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
Overall, this was a fun read. The time travel, groundhog day, type storyline was really interesting and is something I haven't really seen done like this before in a YA book. I felt that the characters were really likable and that the banter and dialogue between Jack and Katie was actually realistic, something I haven't seen in YA recently. One thing I really did not like about this book was Jack's lack of surprise of the fact that he was time traveling. It was like he showed up months in the past and didn't really see much issue with it, he just went on doing his thing. I was also very disappointed with the ending. The readers had to go through numerous times of Jack going through the same storyline just for the ending to be, well bland, basically. ( )
  EmilyScaff | Aug 30, 2020 |
Yeah, I really liked this story. This book had 464 pages and I blazed through it easily. I was never bored, and I was sad that I had put off reading this book for so long. I liked Jack's narrative. He's a sweet-heart, hopeless (or hopeful) romantic, and an overthinker. I really connect with his overthinking.

For the most part, I loved this book, but I did not like ...

- I hated all the Franny drama. Every timeloop(?)jump? that involved Franny was tedious and frustrating. I don't dislike Franny at all, but I feel like all the fights with his dad slowed down the story. Also, I understand not alienating your friends just because you got in a relationship, but whenever Jack prioritized his time with Kate he was made out to be the bad guy.

- The very very first time Jack met Kate she was way too in his business. I understand she's quirky and blunt, but I would've been annoyed. Like, I moved out the way, now keep it moving, Dr. Phil.

- It's never really answered why Jack gets to relive that day over and over. I don't seriously mind this one. It's better to leave that unanswered than to add something ridiculous and stupid to the plot.

- The banter. Sometimes, it hits and, sometimes, it does not. Mostly it does though :)

- Jillian/Jack. I picked up immediately that Jillian had feelings for Jack. I thought they might have explored that more without the homewrecking during another time jump ... oh well, maybe she learns to love Franny more and gets over the crush on Jack

- Jack and Kate are insta-lovey, but it's alright.

- The ending somewhat. Everyone knows I love happy endings! There are enough sad things to see every day. But a small part of me still wanted Kate to die, because you can do everything right and people still die. Maybe Jack's happy ending would've been making peace with that.

BUT I don't mind the happy ending either except they fast-forwarded it! xD Where's our payoff? I need to read in real-time Jack succeeding.
  DestDest | Jul 29, 2020 |
Add review ( )
  Rachael_SJSU | Jul 11, 2020 |
This book started out so well, and by the end it just fizzled into a disappointment. Justin A. Reynolds writes well. That is definitely to its credit. But the story didn't live up to his skill with words.
Basically, it's sort of "Groundhog Day" if the script had been written by John Green. Jack meets, Kate, the girl of his dreams, they hit it off, she gets along great with his other two best friends, Jillian and Franny (short for Francisco) who are dating. But it turns out Kate has sickle cell anemia, and she's dying from it. In fact, she does die from it. But Jack wakes up sitting on the steps where they originally met four months earlier, ready to run through it all again. And again, and again, until he gets it right. Just like in "Groundhog Day."
(Note: To Mr. Reynold's credit, he does have Jack, our narrator, acknowledge the similarities between his story and the classic Bill Murray movie.)
The book is on the long side for teen fiction, and by Jack's third run through the same four months, the story is growing old. He changes it up each time of course, but on the third round, Kate almost becomes a side character as Jack steals Jillian from Franny, which seemed to me 100% out of character for Jack, making this whole episode unbelievable. In the end, nobody seemed to have really grown or changed as a result of the events of the book.
Well written, but a completely forgettable story. I would give Justin Reynold's another chance if he writes another. But if I do, I sure hope he has a story that lives up to his knack with words. ( )
  fingerpost | Jul 9, 2020 |

Justin A. Reynoldsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fitzsimmons, ErinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singleton, StephanieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,858,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible