Cat Chaser by Elmore Leonard

Cat Chaser (original 1982; edition 1997)

by Elmore Leonard (Author)

Member:dragonasbreath
Title:Cat Chaser
Authors:Elmore Leonard (Author)
Info:Avon (1997),
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Reunion, leatherneck, Santa domingo

Cat Chaser by Elmore Leonard (1982)

Well-written, well-plotted, fun to listen to the recorded version (Frank Muller does bad guys with brio) but any deeper moral or even history lesson escaped me. ( )
  wortklauberlein | Nov 30, 2009 |
I have to say, as a person reading WAY outside her chosen genre, I enjoyed this book pretty well. This is one of the books I acquired when my husband and I merged our libraries, and I probably would not have gotten to reading it any time soon, had it not been for Go Review That Book!
I enjoyed the fast-paced writing style, as well, with the exception of how we seemed to be jumping in to the middle of the action towards the beginning. It took quite some time to really get a feel for these characters, and by the time I did, I felt like I had missed some plot points that I hadn't understood were important because I hadn't gotten to know the characters. It sort of felt as though I was reading something from the middle of a series, but as all the characters seemed to have their stories neatly tied up in this book, that must not be the case.
The resolution of the tale was quite satisfying, although throughout the book, I didn't really see how it could come to a conclusion I'd be happy with. I'm impressed with Leonard's story. ( )
1 vote EmScape | Sep 10, 2008 |
The first of Leonard's books I read was Cat Chaser, and I think he may well have written better books, but I retain a deep regard for this one because it convinced me that there was life in the crime novel after Raymond Chandler. Famous for his convincing dialogue, and his self imposed writing rules such as no more than three exclamation marks per book, Leonard stands tall among today's living writers. ( )
  kettle666 | Oct 3, 2007 |
For Katy Leonard
Moran's first impression of Nolen Tyner: He looked like a high risk, the kind of guy who falls asleep smoking in bed.

Maybe life was too easy for ex-leatherneck George Moran. He owned the Coconut Palms Motel. He had the sun. He had time for a six-pack by the pool. What did he need with a sentimental journey to Santo Domingo, where he fought in '65? Maybe he was looking for the pretty sniper who had spared his life.
Maybe he was just looking for trouble...

Because that's what he found when he fell in love with Mary de boya, wife of a Miami millionaire who was formerly a Dominican general specializing in torture. It was a good way to get hurt. Especially when somebody wants to rip off the two million bucks under de Boya's bed .. and Moran gets caught in the crossfire of a deadly con.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060512229, Mass Market Paperback)

In the world of Elmore Leonard novels, two ex-soldiers can sit around a hotel swimming pool in Florida and, as if it were perfectly natural, chat about a friendly fire incident during an "interventionist action" in Santo Domingo. His characters have learned the futility of complaining about a life where deadly violence and moral obligations are all too frequently intertwined. In Cat Chaser George Moran is the hotel manager who got shot at back then; now, he's rekindling his intimate acquaintance with the wife of Andres de Boya, a former Dominican military enforcer who currently invests in real estate with a healthy sideline in drugs.

A dizzying series of plot twists involving various grifters and strongmen (both hired and freelance) leads to the grimly comic suspense action that Elmore Leonard fans have come to know and love. But as always, it's Leonard's impressive ear for dialogue that raises Cat Chaser above the herd of crime novels. An example:

"That's correct," Scully said, "I'm a consultant... I advise people on business matters, act as a go-between, bring people together that want to make deals... things like that. You want to know any more, come by my office, we'll have a coffee sometime. Okay? Right now I'm going to see Mr. Pradi. Where you come in--I'm gonna knock on his door, he don't open it then I might have to kick it in. I mean the business I got with him is that pressing. So you can give me a key and maybe save yourself a door. What do you think?"
Well, what do you think? --Ron Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:17 -0400)

The hero of "Cat Chaser, " George Moran, isn't looking for trouble but finds it anyway when he winds up in bed with the wife of a drug-dealing mob-connected Dominican cop -- vicious, macho and ready to follow George to the ends of the earth, which in this case means Miami.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,715,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible