Tomorrow by Merilyn Ruth Liddell

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this novel in exchange for a review. This was a refreshingly different dystopian novel focusing on the lives and secrets of a rural mining town whose residents are scraping by following a global epidemic that caused death and male sterility. The characters are well-drawn and truly drive a well-plotted mystery tangled up in eccentric and, at times, disturbing relationships. Unlike many novels in this genre, this one is literate and reasonably well-edited. I would have rated this a five, if the resolution at the end had been a bit more detailed and a little less contrived. ( )
  1mark | Jan 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My first impressions of this book were a little rough, to be honest. I have to admit that I'm not the best at reading from multiple points of view and that, coupled with not having my footing in this dystopia at first, made the first few chapters a bit rocky. As I read on, however, I soon fell into step with the characters who lead us through this story. I understood that this was a future where survival was based on how important you were to the people in town. Where, although resources are limited, there are still good people who help others. Where, just like real life, there are those who take advantage of everyone else. Once I got my bearings, I was set. I knew this would be a book I'd devour.

Devour it, I did. I know that this book is technically classified as dystopian, but what I found on these pages had so much more hope than I'm used to in this kind of story. Jake, Sophie and Martha were each so different and yet they came together in a way that really made me smile. The setting for this story, an old historic mining town in Canada, felt perfect to me. Small, surrounded by nature, and the perfect way to really expose the damage that had been done to the world by the people who were now trying to survive in it. Like I mentioned above, so many people were still good people in this book. They fought for others, cared for others, and shared. It was lovely to read a story where, although it had dark undercurrents and violence, a little bit of love still shown through.

Martha, in particular, stood out to me. She has her own story arc, that winds through those of the others, and it really lets the reader further delve into the world that Liddell has built and where all the devastation came from. She was quirky, to be certain, but that made me love her more. Imagine knowing that your world was destroyed by someone close to you, and feeling like you were now the only one who could save it. Those are some big shoes, let me tell you what.

So why the three star rating? I think my biggest issue with this story was really the fact that it took so long for me to get enough information to finally feel invested. Although I appreciated the slow build up of facts, it also hindered my reading somewhat. I wanted to know why I should care about the people I was walking along with. That came eventually, but not quite fast enough. My other gripe was about the ending. After all the drama I'd gone through with my new friends, it felt like everything just wrapped up into a perfect forever after. Going from a tension filled, secret laden story into a place where suddenly everything is sunshine made me feel lost. It just didn't flow.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this book. I powered through it, and I don't regret diving into Liddell's world at all! This story may have needed a bit more polish, but I'm definitely still a fan. I'll be back for more. ( )
  roses7184 | Jan 9, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Tomorrow is a novel that is fast paced, but slow-moving. The dystopian story follows three strangers who are connected by one experience. The story focuses on the multiple povs of Jake, Sophie, and Martha. Martha keeps to her self and lives in a home that is built like one giant science lab, she feels extreme guilt for what he dad did (revealed later in the story). Sophie, is a city girl who ended in a small town and is trapped in an abusive relationship and is desperately trying to escape. Jake, is a cab driver who is observant and curious. He’s trying to make a living, but struggles due to the power structure in the town.

From the beginning of the novel, I had so many questions in my mind: What happened to this town, Who are these people, and What does the future hold for them. The reader is given very little clues leaving them with a lot of focus. There is an overall aura of suspense due to the multilayered secrets and the added element of multiple povs keeps the reader engaged in the story. When one perspective starts to get interesting we cut to the next scene, which gives a cliffhanger feeling to many of the chapters.

Throughout the book lies a constant somber tone. You can really feel this in the characters minds and feelings. They are all grieving in some sort of way and with how desolate the town has become is gives them a heavy feeling. While Sophie and Jake are easy to open up Martha is a brick wall. She trusts them to provide a safe haven for her in her home but is reluctant to share her secrets and what the lab can do, what experiment is she trying to hide?

It’s hard to talk about the story without giving too much of the plot away, but I did think it had an interesting dystopian concept. My main problem with the book is that at many points in the story I had a very vague sense of what is happening. And even by the end of the book when everything was revealed, I still felt there were so many questions unanswered and I was puzzled. I liked the attention to detail and I felt the characters were very well-written. I was invested in their stories, and wanted them prosper in their difficult lives.

If you enjoy dystopian stories, this book might be for you! ( )
  Rlmoulde | Jan 7, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"The door whispered shut behind Martha. She counted three rapid clicks. A green light flashed. Lock engaged. The knot between her shoulder blades loosened."

This book had me from the first paragraph to the last. I absolutely loved it! It's a dystopian novel who's two main themes are "population control" and "secrecy." My only negative remark is regarding the epilogue. It was neat to see the finish (and it was phenomenal writing!), but it was over too soon.
I can't wait to see more from her! ( )
  emilycrook | Jan 5, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a sci-fi, fantasy book with a hint of dystopia. The mountain community where the survivors live is one that is not friendly to newcomers, and it is confusing to readers because of all of the characters and their many faces. I enjoyed the fact that survival was possible after a pandemic that destroyed everyone else. I also enjoyed the details of how the survivors interacted with their new world and with each other. However, I am not generally a fan of this genre, so this is not a book that I would recommend unless this is your cup of tea. The book does not rise to the level of interest of Veronica Roth, but it is worth reading if an apocalypse and survival thereafter interests you. There were no characters who really stood out because there were so many of them that I felt like I needed to take notes as I read, thus detracting from the reading experience. ( )
  Lea-Wilson-Reynolds | Jan 1, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Merilyn Ruth Liddell's book Tomorrow is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,628,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible