Down Here by Andrew Vachss

Down Here (2004)

by Andrew Vachss (Author)

Series: Burke (15)

Having read one Andrew Vachss novel that I really liked, I hoped I'd found another author who really clicked with me. So I checked two more books out of the novel.
The only reason I even finished reading this second one was the unfulfilled hope that it would end better than it started out. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Nov 5, 2013 |
I've been reading Vachss's Burke books for a long time now. This one has all the old familiar characters and plenty of backstory for those who aren't familiar with the earlier books. For those who don't already know Burke, he's definitely not your typical hero. He's frightening and vengeful, but he's also got an unshakable moral code.

Vachss's books are dark and violent, but extremely well done. If you think you can handle it, I recommend his books strongly.

I don't want to say too much about this one, but I will say I didn't see the end coming. I'll definitely get the next Burke book as soon as it's available. ( )
  jennyo | Mar 24, 2006 |

Vachss, AndrewAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evan Gaffney DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Troncoso, DavidPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Please distinguish between:

-- this separate novel in Andrew Vachss' "Burke" Series, Down Here (#15, 2004); and

-- the similarly-titled Quality Paperback Book Club omnibus, Down Here (2000), which includes three earlier novels in the "Burke" Series, Strega (#2, 1987), Blue Belle (#3, 1988), and Hard Candy (#4, 1989).

Thank you.

"For many years, Burke has carried a torch for Wolfe, the beautiful, driven former sex crimes prosecutor who was fired for refusing to "go along to get along." They share a marrow-deep hatred of predators but walk different sides of the street when it comes to justice. So when Burke hears that Wolfe has been arrested for attempted murder, he knows something is double-wrong - and deals himself in.". "Putting together a distrustful alliance between his "family of choice," Wolfe's outlaw network, and an informant inside the police department, Burke starts with the alleged victim, a brutal serial rapist Wolfe had personally prosecuted. He's back on the street because his conviction was reversed, and any of his long list of victims has plenty of motive to kill him. The deeper Burke gets into the investigation, the more holes he finds in the case against Wolfe. Yet the DA's office continues to press forward, and Burke has to find out what their game is. No stranger to devil's bargains, Burke reopens the rape investigations - his way - and discovers an artist whose violent work in progress is a whole city's nightmare."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Andrew Vachss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible