Green Shadows, White Whale by Ray Bradbury

Green Shadows, White Whale (1992)

by Ray Bradbury

The Crazy Kill by Charles Hamblett (SnootyBaronet)
    SnootyBaronet: Working on Huston's Moby Dick

Not my favorite ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 16, 2016 |
This is part recollection, part fiction. Bradbury weaves some Irish-themed (which you may have read in other collections) stories into a framework about the time he worked with John Huston to write the screenplay for "Moby DIck". Lots of time is spent in the country pub, and while Bradbury's prose often runs purple here as elsewhere, the pub really is the perfect setting. Your mileage may vary, but for a film nut and Bradbury fan, this is a double treat. ( )
  cschack | Oct 5, 2009 |

It's the story of young sf writer Ray Bradbury, brought to Ireland by film director John Huston, to write a screenplay for Moby Dick. Huston comes across as a real monster, incessantly bullying his wife, Bradbury and other colleagues, with almost no redeeming features. I found Bradbury's portrayal of Ireland and the Irish irritating at first and then I realised that he was doing nothing more than writing in his usual style; it might as well have been Mars.

The short stories dropped into the narrative - including two with fantasy elements, which I list on my web page - are the best bits of a very uneven book. The only other "novel" I've read by Bradbury, To the Dust Returned, was equally uneven. Perhaps he is someone who needs the discipline of the short story form to write quality stuff. For €7.50 I can't complain too much. ( )
  nwhyte | Jan 26, 2008 |

In 1953, the brilliant but terrifying titan of cinema John Huston summons the young writer Ray Bradbury to Ireland. The apprehensive scribe's quest is to capture on paper the fiercest of all literary beasts -- Moby Dick -- in the form of a workable screenplay so the great director can begin filming.

But from the moment he sets foot on Irish soil, the author embarks on an unexpected odyssey. Meet congenial IRA terrorists, tippling men of the cloth impish playwrights, and the boyos at Heeber Finn's pub. In a land where myth is reality, poetry is plentiful, and life's misfortunes are always cause for celebration, Green Shadows, White Whale is the grandest tour of Ireland you'll ever experience -- with the irrepressible Ray Bradbury as your enthusiastic guide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:46 -0400)

In 1953, a young writer journeys to Ireland to create a screenplay of Moby Dick for movie mogul John Huston and meets a delightful cast of characters, including IRA terrorists, alcoholic clergy, fiendish playwrights, a notorious white whale, and the regulars at Heeber Finn's pub.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,427,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible