The Apex Book of World SF: Volume 5 (Apex…

The Apex Book of World SF: Volume 5 (Apex World of Speculative Fiction) (edition 2018)

by Lavie Tidhar (Author)

195775,119 (4.1)2
Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Apex Book of World SF: Volume 5 (Apex World of Speculative Fiction)
Authors:Lavie Tidhar (Author)
Info:(2018), 359 pages
Collections:Ebooks

The Apex Book of World SF: Volume 5 (Apex World of Speculative Fiction) by Cristina Jurado (Editor)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’m always happy to see another of these Apex World SF volumes. This one is full of stories by authors from all over the world, and while it’s not as difficult to find international science fiction now as it was when the first volume was published, it’s still great to find so many varied and high quality stories in one place. One of my favourites from the book is the opening story, A Series of Steaks by Vina Jie-Min Prasad, set in a future world with a main character who forges expensive cuts of meat using bioprinting. I also really liked the closing story, Ugo by Giovanni De Feo, about a relationship between a woman and a man who apparently has memories of future events. It has an ending that leaves various interpretations of what happened possible, but it’s an ambiguity that worked well for me. And talking of ambiguity, Verdana Singh’s Ambiguity Machines: An Examination makes another appearance here, the only story I’d read previously after enjoying her collection last year. The rest of the stories are varied, ranging from science fiction to fantasy, and while I enjoyed some more than others, overall it was a really good read, and I’m already looking forward to any future volumes Apex release.
1 vote valkyrdeath | Oct 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The S in SF for this book means speculative, so you get a wide variety of fiction - from ghost stories, horror and fantasy and Science Fiction. You also get a wider variety of countries represented by the authors and so a variety of settings. Ghost stories and horror aren't really my thing, but one of those ghost stories, Ghostalker was a fizzy, exciting little tale. There's a story that shows that there's plenty still to say about time travel, a fantasy set on the strangest of worlds, and a couple of modern folk stories. Apart from those that aren't my thing, the rest are of a uniformly high quality. ( )
  paulmorriss | Sep 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a mixed bag of stories. Some I enjoyed very much; others I skipped after reading a little. It's interesting to see science fiction from others parts of the world. ( )
  cyoder44 | Sep 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is such a solid collection of stories, without any qualifiers. I did feel that there were diverse perspectives that showed up and that was great. I never felt like a translation was clumsy. I thoroughly enjoyed this collection and was sad when I got to the end. ( )
  ansate | Sep 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I make no bones about it I really like these Apex collections of world SF and I'm no fan of SF normally. Previous collections have varied from good to very good and this one that has 2 people selecting works is a real stand out - this is a great collection. Because they select from literally all around the world you would go a very long way to better this anthology in scope and depth of topic.. I'm gonna give it 4 stars and hope that Volume 6 deserves 5. keep it up Apex ( )
1 vote papalaz | Sep 19, 2018 |

Tidhar, LavieEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Victoria, ElizaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langton, Sarah AnneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Cristina Jurado's book The Apex Book of World SF Volume 5 is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,532,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible